Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Don't Touch Anything in the Car!"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Don't Touch Anything in the Car!"
    Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 9:18pm
I hop into the front seat of a car at the Pentagon. As we enter the HOV I move the right dashboard vent 1/2 inch to the right as the air was blowing in my eyes. The driver snaps, "Don't touch anything in the car!" I ask him, in an even voice, "Would you like me to move it back or not?" He repeated, "Don't touch anything in the car!" I remain silent all the way home and for the first time in 7 years don't thank the driver for my ride. It's also the first time this slug's behavior has been called out. I'm always quiet and read my book.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to adjust the seats or the vent direction within reason if it doesn't impact the driver at all or the other slug's safety or comfort, without asking permission beforehand. Twice drivers have asked me to put my visor down, and I've always complied, assuming the sun was bothering them. Drivers, what do you think? Slugs? Who was off base here?
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 1:34am
hmm, I think vent changing is fine.... i always make it known "feel free to adjust the vents or seats" when we start... well pretty much always, I definitely would not have snapped.. no one enjoys cold air blown on their face for 40 minutes! I say this driver was over the line. Some may disagree. Some may even say I am troll and my coworkers must be miserable! haha, oh the joys of the internet.
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 7:19am
I always like it a little cooler in the car than most other people, so I have no problem with them adjusting the vents, or adjusting the seats if they or the slug behind them need more room. Only takes a second to put them back if I need to.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 7:41am
To be on the safe side, ALWAYS ask before adjusting anything - particularly if you've never ridden with the driver before. Lots of drivers will ask you to "make yourself comfortable", but not all. Better to err on the side of caution.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2007 at 10:59pm
Question DC, if you asked "may I close this vent, I a bit cold" and the driver said no... would you still close it?

I am just courious...
mscwolf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mscwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 8:47am
I have no problem with a rider asking if they can adjust a vent, close a window, or if I'd raise/lower the temp a little bit.

However if someone has an extreme need, they should be better prepared (i.e. bring a sweater if easily cold or wear layers so they can remove one if easily warm) for the commute in/out.

Also, riders shouldn't expect the driver to provide a complimentary food item or water bottle - we're NOT a Limo service. And, if they bring they're own, they should ask the driver if it's okay to eat or drink in the car. I had a guy jump in with foot-long sub (which looked pretty messy), started to unwrap it, as the awful smells filled the car, and quickly asked him not to eat in the car. He wasn't all that happy, but obliged, much to my front passengers grateful appreciation. Took a day of open windows & air fresheners to get rid of the odor. [:(!]
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 8:01am
MSCWolf

I dont think any resonably expects the driver to privide food or water.... where did you get THAT from? And I think your being a bit over dramatic about the smell of the guys sub... I highly doubt in reality that it took a DAY of open windows to get rid of the smell. You of course will view things from your perspective but that seems a bit bogus to me. However, that being said, you are 100% within your rights to ask the guy not to eat in your car. Though if I have a water bottle I'm not going to ask your permission before taking a drink, sorry I'm a grown man and can manage a water battle without spilling it or effecting your car.
Staff2Fwest View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staff2Fwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 12:01pm
Actually...it really can take a day or so to get sub sandwhich smell out of the car...I feel your pain mscwolf.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic