Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Politically Correct Name?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Politically Correct Name?
    Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 2:34pm
I just read the first article linked from the front page. It explained the term slug as what bus drivers named the sluggers after the fake coin sized "slugs" of metal. They also called the drivers of the sluggers as "body snatchers". :D
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 10:42am
"Slugger" sounds better because it sounds tough and that is what we are, and "slug" has such a negative tone. But the correct description is "slug" because of that bus driver anecdote ...

gg
KMStephen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMStephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2002 at 2:40pm
I like escargot.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 3:04pm
I also have heard "casual carpoolers" used.
leblanc9425 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leblanc9425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 2:26pm
I would tend to go with "slugs", but who knows...
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 12:12pm
Personally, I don't care what the "PC" terms are. If you check the definitions on this web site (url is http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Slugging%20Terms.asp) you will find out that "body snatching" is a BAD THING. Scrapers are those that pick up slugs at the agreed upon locations.
dambam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dambam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 11:47am
When I first started slugging about 4 years ago, I heard that people picking up slugs are called "body snatchers", which reminds me of the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".
Slugster View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slugster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2002 at 8:02am
When I started slugging (I guess that's the proper verb) about 6 years ago, someone told me that, while the riders were called "slugs," the drivers were called "scrapers" - they were "scraping the slugs off the sidewalk!" I don't know if that's where the term came from, but I like the story! Has anyone else heard the term "scraper" used for a driver who collects slugs? I did see the word on this site's list of terms. Maybe a slug veteran can fill us in.

Anyway, I think we're "slugs" vs. "sluggers."
Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2002 at 4:17pm
Just wondering -- What is the correct term for one who commutes the way we do?

Is it Slug or Slugger

I've noticed that although I've become familiar with the term 'Slug' I've seen that people now tend to use the term 'Slugger' to refer to one who slugs. Although I've grown accustomed to the term Slug and think it's sort of endearing, I realize that some newbies may attribute negative connotations to it.

Just wondering what the official 'unofficial' term is.

Bslug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic