Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to 610 north lot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vfdirector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to 610 north lot
    Posted: 26 Nov 2002 at 10:05am
What a surprise this morning! They re-striped the 610 lot, and TOTALLY changed the traffic flow! Why doesn't VDOT anounce MAJOR changes like this?????

The DC line may need to move, perhaps so that traffic flows in the OPPOSITE direction from the VA line. Maybe we could cue up on the opposite side of the bus stop, going in the other direction to avoid gridlock?

Suggestions?

Claire
Stafford VA
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2002 at 11:50am
I was totally surprised as well. This must mean that the little lot is closing soon. Back in October Gary Pash said at the Stafford Town Hall meeting that they would be changing the flow of traffic at the 610 lot and adding additional spaces. He said as soon as that was done the little lot off Straffordborou Road would be removed for the new marketplace. hmmm.

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2002 at 12:13pm
Gary said they would restripe the big lot and EXPAND it before they closed the small lot. The restriping and expansion should more than make up for the loss of the small lot, but not for the loss of parking along that side street that has been closed off.
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2002 at 3:50pm
I just received an email from my friend at VDOT and this is what he says in regards to the future of the lots:
The 40 or so new extra spaces that you saw are an attempt to squeeze as much parking into the lot as we can.
The new expansion adjacent to that lot should have started being cleared today and will likely be completed within 4-5 months if the weather leaves some windows with reasonable construction weather.
The smaller lot will be closed when the expansion is complete.
We have sent off for the plans to the 630 commuter lot as we did not have a copy in the residency. I hope to have this next week and be able to see if there is any room within existing right of Way to expand.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2002 at 8:48pm
DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET BEHIND THE MCDONALDS - That is a private road and they are towing EVERYBODY that parks there! I know more than 1 person that is now out $100 (including myself). the signs are VERY SMALL and EASY TO MISS! [:(!]
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2002 at 11:48am
Arbo,

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. Luckily my carpool started up again at 630. I spoke to a friend yesterday who has been slugging to/from 630 (leaving the lot at 6:30am) and he and another person have been getting rides. Yesterday, I too, had to park illegal at 610 and was worried about getting ticketed or towed.

I am/have been very fustrated with the commuter lot situation, route 610, and the BOS & VDOT's response to this issue. But you already know that...
artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 8:45am
I don't understand why one would park illegally when the mine road lot has ample parking and according to the many posts, has a robust slug line for that time period.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 2:42pm
My experience with the Mine Road lot is that the slug line isn't really THAT robust. Maybe I'm not hitting it on the right days, but I have been there after 7:00 already and waited for 45 minutes and no one showed. It's the same luck I've been having at the 630 lot, I guess. It's kind of hit or miss. And there was such a slow turn out of passengers that even the fist passenger to come across a waiting vehicle has to wait a long period of time to find that second rider. Hitting the Staffordshire lot early is still the best bet. Not that does anything for those that arrive later and attempt to park.

Another thing I've even been desperate enough to do is travel down to the Rt. 17 lot and pick up there. It seems like redundant effort to go south just to go north again, but I'd rather waste 20 minutes going south than 45-60 minutes going nowhere!
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 4:15pm
Artplyn,

Why would someone park illegally at 610?
Well, I for instance... do not slug to DC, neither do I want to get hit by a car when crossing 610. In addition there is no established sign at the pentagon for the return trip home. It is a shame that a system that used to work perfectly has been disrupted because of one simple reason - the poor planning of our county officials.

According to VDOT (this I know because I spoke to them about this issue just 2-3 weeks ago), unless a car is parked between two solid white lines, it is parked illegally. That means everyone who parks on the exterior of the 610 parking lot and the small lot are parking illegally. VDOT realizes that this is a problem but have no plans to fix it.
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 4:19pm
Mirangus,

Tomorrow myself and my fellow carpooler/slug friend will be at the 630 lot waiting for a ride at 7am. Would you be interested in picking us up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic