Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accident on HOV last Thursday evening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accident on HOV last Thursday evening
    Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 10:02am
Last night in the slug line, I talked to a woman who was in the car accident at Shirlington last week. The driver, her and the other rider survived the accident. She said cars are following each other too closely and need to leave adequate space between them. She doesn't know what happened, but their car was hit, spun around and ended up against the guardrail facing the traffic travelling south. She mentioned a cell phone (unclear whether her driver was looking for his/her phone to answer, was on their phone or the other driver who hit them was on their cell phone), but drivers should not be talking on their cell phones when driving 65+ miles an hour on the HOV lanes. If I got the story wrong, I hope the rider will post corrections.
Drive3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drive3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 6:54pm
I have to say that the tailgaters on HOV, both morning and evening, have become very numerous. It scares me to watch people going 70+ MPH while right on people's bumpers. One quick braking, and the whole line will crash. Do you know those 50-car pile-ups that are on the news occasionally? That reminds me of what could easily happen on HOV any day. I try to hang back and leave a good distance, but most of the time, someone flies up beside me (no matter which lane I'm in) and squeezes into the space between me and the car in front of me. Are we really in that much of a hurry to get to work in the morning? I'm not! Once, when I was a slugger and not a driver, I rode with a maniac in a Ford SUV that was going 90 and tailgating everyone. I should have said something when I got out of his car, but I think I was so stunned and glad to still be alive, that I just got out of his vehicle and walked as quickly as I could to my car (driving very slowly the rest of the way home). Even though I'm now a driver, I think it's the slugs right to ask the drivers to slow down and not tailgate when the situation is dangerous. It's just not worth dying over! Everyone keep that 3-second "barrier" between you and the next car... please, for all our sakes. Thanks!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 2:06pm
No way is a 3 second barrier possible with the volume. Stay alert.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic