Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limit on I-81 tolls but not I-95

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limit on I-81 tolls but not I-95
    Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 1:40pm
Check out what the SW Virginia legislators did to make sure THEY did not have any tolls on I-81...

Bill limiting Va. legislature to OK I-81 tolls passes
The Associated Press
RICHMOND, Va.

Virginia legislators want to be the only ones who can authorize putting tolls on Interstate 81, and unless the governor steps in they'll get their way.

The House voted 93-5 Friday to send Governor Timothy Kaine a bill specifying that only the General Assembly can decide to put tolls on the interstate. It was sponsored by legislators along the 323 miles of I-81 that run through southwest Virginia.

The legislation was in response to the Virginia Department of Transportation's recommendation to widen the interstate and possibly place tolls on it. Legislators said the bill is needed so that the decision to place tolls on I-81 is not made by an unelected board.

I-81 stretches from Alabama to New York.

My question is why did not our North Virginia legislators push a similar bill forward for I-95 and tell the SW legislators it would not pass its bill if they didn't vote for ours???

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 2:43pm
Because VA legislators were not involved in the contract negotiations for the I95/395/495 toll lanes. These plans and agreements were conducted behind closed doors between VDOT and the HOT contractors (as are nost shady deals). VDOT is involved in a huge taxpayer-funded giveaway of our public interstates and there is no transparency or accountability. Welcome to democracy where the example set by our president creates a "wild-west" government environment where anything goes and a "public be damned" attitude prevails.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic