Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trashy cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 3:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by Moody Girl

TMCL,

As a matter of fact, this is where fluffy is currently residing until I can return him/her to their owner. Thanks for the advice. Have a great day.

You are saying that a car you rode in was so messy that the owner did not notice their pet clung to the leg of a slug? It sounded like you were talking about pet hair being all over your pants...

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 10:39pm
quote:

TMCL,

As a matter of fact, this is where fluffy is currently residing until I can return him/her to their owner. Thanks for the advice. Have a great day.

Moody,

If you didn't appreciate the ride, ask for the money back that you paid to take it. If you didn't like the accommodations, politely extricate yourself from the vehicle at your point of origin as soon as you notice you're not a good fit. How exceptionally brave of you to complain after you completed your free ride in to your terminus. Again and again I point out, you get what you pay for. If you want a cat hair/dog hair/whatever ride in, pay for the VRE or pay for a bus. Otherwise, you are essentially a hitch-hiker and ride at the pleasure of the driver. I know many will say, "I appreciate slugs," and I do too, but I'm not going to: Ask them what kind of car to buy (seen that on the board); worry if my car is pristine enough (this thread); make exceptions if the slug didn't hear where the drop off is, or misunderstood me at the beginning of the multi-mile ride where the drop-off is.

Again, I know it's a symbiotic relationship, but for the most part, there are many more slugs than drivers and we are rapidly approaching a tipping point.

So (I'll be polite here--gasp!), please be quiet and accept the free ride. Don't gab on your cell phone, eat snacks, request obtuse drop-off points, or complain about your ride on this site after you got out of the vehicle (unless it was dangerous and you need to warn fellow slugs). If drivers get pissed off, they'll either become slugs or become melancholy VRE, carpool, vanpool, or bus riders and you'll stand there in the morning/afternoon Sun (or worse) wondering where the free rides went.

TMCL, what do you think? Are we that far apart on this one? I don't think we are. As I posted, my vehicle isn't a pigsty, just not pristine--but I pick up at least three when I drive (four if I've really cleaned up :) ). The kids have just made the carpet a mess because of orange soda (trying very hard not to be caustic here, so as not to offend the masses).

Blacksky
Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 10:34am
Blacksky,

Obviously, you did not read my original post. Otherwise, you would know that nowhere in it did I state that I did not appreciate that ride. As a matter of fact, I believe I thanked the driver. My original intentions of the e-mail were in no way malicious they were just to make the driver aware of the situation that he has going on in his back seat with a little bit of sarcastic humor. However, I should have known that we no longer have a sense of humor in the slugging community. So sorry[:(]

I do, however, express an irritation at the idea that beacause I slug to work I deserve to arrive at my destination covered in pet hair. You see, I have several pets and I strive to keep my home and car clean so that my visitors do not leave feeling as though they need a shower. I also make it a point to keep my clothing free of pet hair. I really do not think it is out of line to ask that someone throw a sheet or towel down in their backseat if they don't have time to vaccume the pet hair up.

I realize that the consensus on this website is that if you do not spend a butt load of money to get yourself to work everyday....you should be willing to accept WHATEVER you get. However, I would like to shed a little light on this for you....I have been doing this for a long time and back in the day, EVERYONE appreciated their roles in this system and they all showed respect and common courtesy towards each other.

Unfortunately, just like Southern Virginia, the slugging community has grown and now everyone has this sense of entitlement and all respect and good old fashioned manners have gone out the window.

I would now like to address some of the accusations made in your post.
First of all, if you thought you were being polite.....try again.

1. My family has been given strict instructions, DO NOT CALL UNLESS YOU SEE BLOOD or SOMEONE HAS DIED. My ringer is on vibrate and I do not make/accept calls on my cell phone when slugging.

2. I never eat or drink when slugging.

3. Only speak when spoken too.

4. Only take rides that are going to my specific location.

5. Place all personal items in my lap as not to dirty one's seats.

6. Will not engage in conversations of a sensative nature.

7. Always greet and thank the drivers/riders.

8. I carry a personal fan in case I get hot and a sweater in case I get cold.

9. I do not touch anything in another person's car without asking (visor, window, adjust seats, etc.)

10. Listen quietly to whatever radio station they choose to listen to.

As far as dangerous drivers are concerned, if you truly fear that they are putting you in danger, instead of calling them out on this website, pull out your cell phone and let them know that if they don't chill out, you will call the state police. Trust me...it works.

To all of my fellow slugs/drivers and even you Blacksky, Thanks and Have A Great Day!

toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 10:59am
quote:
Originally posted by blacksky

[

TMCL, what do you think? Are we that far apart on this one? I don't think we are. As I posted, my vehicle isn't a pigsty, just not pristine--but I pick up at least three when I drive (four if I've really cleaned up :) ). The kids have just made the carpet a mess because of orange soda (trying very hard not to be caustic here, so as not to offend the masses).

Blacksky

Ha! You're preaching to the choir. I am so TIRED of nitpicky slugs!

No, you cannot sit in the front. You cannot choose the radio station, and if I want to finish drinking my coffee/eating my toast while driving, you do not have the right to tell me otherwise.

And, if dried orange soda got on the bottom of my shoes... I doubt it would even register.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 2:05pm
Yeah, I've been in those "not pristine" cars.. they usually smell of last weeks take out and you could ID the last 12 people who entered the car by taking fingerprint samples from the windows and headliner.

I appreciate the ride- always have. BUT- if your car wreaks, you have to push more than two empty drink containers off the seat or from below your feet to get situated, or you can tell the breed of pet you own by what was left on your pants when you exited, you may want to think about cleaning up your car before you invite a stranger to take a ride. Free or not.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 2:06pm
sorry- double posted..
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 2:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

Yeah, I've been in those "not pristine" cars.. they usually smell of last weeks take out and you could ID the last 12 people who entered the car by taking fingerprint samples from the windows and headliner.

I appreciate the ride- always have. BUT- if your car wreaks, you have to push more than two empty drink containers off the seat or from below your feet to get situated, or you can tell the breed of pet you own by what was left on your pants when you exited, you may want to think about cleaning up your car before you invite a stranger to take a ride. Free or not.

Well here's a question then - would you rather stand in a slug line all morning/evening than ride in a less than pristine car?

blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 9:59pm
quote:

Blacksky,

First of all, if you thought you were being polite.....try again.

Believe it or not, I was. Ask some of the others on this site, I can get downright caustic (most posts removed by mutual agreement after flame wars ensued). I toned it down, please don't mistake blunt for rude. I don't wish to debate you on this, let's just accept that there are different expectations of what is "polite," and move on. Additionally, I wasn't accusing, merely pointing out themes from various threads, and since I don't know you couldn't possibly have been accusing you. But I'll point out our areas of agreement/disagreement in blue below:

1. My family has been given strict instructions, DO NOT CALL UNLESS YOU SEE BLOOD or SOMEONE HAS DIED. My ringer is on vibrate and I do not make/accept calls on my cell phone when slugging.

Agree. I ask before ever initiating a (rare) call, and cell is set on "stun" in case of the occasional incoming call. I will only answer if given permission by the driver and will apologize profusely for the interruption at the conclusion of the (short) call

2. I never eat or drink when slugging.

I will sip a drink while in line, and throw it out before I near the front of the line. I don't drink/eat in the vehicle so, agree

3. Only speak when spoken too.

Agree

4. Only take rides that are going to my specific location.

Agree, unless it is a slow day then will accept to somewhere that is an easy Metro ride.

5. Place all personal items in my lap as not to dirty one's seats.

I place mine on the floor, agree

6. Will not engage in conversations of a sensative nature.

Politics, religion, money, etc... agree

7. Always greet and thank the drivers/riders.

Agree

8. I carry a personal fan in case I get hot and a sweater in case I get cold.

Can't bring myself to use a fan or wear a sweater. Disagree, but not on principle

9. I do not touch anything in another person's car without asking (visor, window, adjust seats, etc.)

Agree

10. Listen quietly to whatever radio station they choose to listen to.

Bring an MP3 player to aid in my nap, or adhering to point #6, agree

As far as dangerous drivers are concerned, if you truly fear that they are putting you in danger, instead of calling them out on this website, pull out your cell phone and let them know that if they don't chill out, you will call the state police. Trust me...it works.

I'll give you this one too, haven't had to go that far yet, but unfortunately, playing the odds, may have to

To all of my fellow slugs/drivers and even you Blacksky, Thanks and Have A Great Day!

Thanks, you too!

See, we weren't that far apart after all!

Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 8:21am
Yes, yes I would. I dont like the feeling of having to lint roll and check my clothes for stains when I walk into the office after getting a ride from a slob.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

Yes, yes I would. I dont like the feeling of having to lint roll and check my clothes for stains when I walk into the office after getting a ride from a slob.

Your boss would rather then, that you be hours late than arrive on time with lint on your butt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic