Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers picking out slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 11:49am
I pulled a rider out of line last week for the first time. There was a huge line of slugs and a huge line of drivers at L'Enfant and folks at the front couldn't figure anything out. I just wanted to GO so I flagged two folks I knew from teh back of the line got them in my car and ran...I agree that it wouldn't/shouldn't be a normal sort of thing, but I am driving and I can pick who I want to ride in my car.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 12:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]Ohio,

I understand that it's the drivers choice. But is it your opinion that riders toward the front of the line don't feel slighted when people behind them get their ride?

FYI - I have never slugged before. However, I do pick-up slugs quite often.

Strangely enough, I'm not offended nor feel slighted by someone being called out of line. I guess because I've been the recipient of this gesture many times years ago. I usually wait about 15-20 minutes daily at Horner Rd. for a ride to 14th and L Sts. and don't see this happen that often.

I am very irrate when people walking toward the slugline ask drivers on their way to the line where they're going and hop in if it's to their destination. Now that's rude! [:(!]
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 8:29am
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 1:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by ohio 7
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]Ohio,

I understand that it's the drivers choice. But is it your opinion that riders toward the front of the line don't feel slighted when people behind them get their ride?

FYI - I have never slugged before. However, I do pick-up slugs quite often.

Strangely enough, I'm not offended nor feel slighted by someone being called out of line. I guess because I've been the recipient of this gesture many times years ago. I usually wait about 15-20 minutes daily at Horner Rd. for a ride to 14th and L Sts. and don't see this happen that often.

I am very irrate when people walking toward the slugline ask drivers on their way to the line where they're going and hop in if it's to their destination. Now that's rude! [:(!]

I wasn't asking if you felt slighted...you already made it clear that you didn't. My question was, do you think that other riders toward the front of the line feel slighted when people behind them get their ride?
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 4:13pm
If they do feel slighted, they shouldn't. It is within the rules as written. If I see a friend in line toward the rear, he/she gets in, and I pick up one more at the head of the line, unless of course there are two friends near the rear.[8D]

And the only time I will take a total of 3 slugs, is when it is either freezing cold out or raining cats and dogs. It may not sound like much, but one additional slug round trip per day over roughly 225+ working days a year adds wear and tear to my car.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 12:56pm
very easy way to get around this.

1. If you have the person's cell phone number... drive past the line and call that person you want to pull into your car.

2. If you don't have the person's number, you can still drive past and wave to that person.

3. If the person didn't see you when you drove past, you can park up ahead and walk back to the line, and grab the person out of the line.

4. If you don't feel like getting out of your car to get the person's attention, you probably don't want to bother with all this anyway... :) ... so just pick up 2 regular slugs and be on your way! :D

~shahedc
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 1:26pm
Sorry, but I'm not going to that amount of trouble at 0600 in the morning because I might offend one of the waiting slugs. It's not worth my time to worry about it, and certainly not worth theirs to get their nose out of joint about it. I'll use my current method which is within written slug etiquette and go on about my way, if someone in line has an issue with it tough.[8D]
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 2:39pm
Drivers option! End of story!

However, if drivers want to call people out of turn, try calling them out by first name, that way there is no question.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 7:47am
Exactly, further debate on this topic is like arguing politics or religion, you aren't going to change anyone's set opinion. [8D]
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 4:10pm
Just want to be absolutely clear that it's ok to pick up only people that I choose.

Goober
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic