Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatHerder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 8:50am
mdog -- must be new to the area. Military I take it. I lived in Germany for years. I saw a lot of gruesome accidents. We used to say the cars liked play rack 'em up between the street corners by our apartment. I once saw a motorcyclist plant himself in a barn headfirst. Used to lay odds when a Mercedes was involved in an accident with one of the european tin cans. They had more than two lanes on the autobaun, the FAR LEFT was where you went to do the breakneck speeds, Do you see more than 2 lanes on HOV? You CANNOT expect to go 70+ during rush hour. Give me a break and grow up. We all have families we are trying to get to and I resent some smuck who is willing to take my life just so he can go 70+. And no I'm not a granny and yes I go usually with the flow of traffic and yes I stay to the right unless I'm trying to pass, but hey, traffic is usually so slow I'm always trying to pass someone.[;)]
3-For-HOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-For-HOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 9:40am
quote:
Originally posted by 3-For-HOV

Originally posted by 3-For-HOV

Originally posted by mdog

Ha, interesting, cause most of the times it's vehicles with CF and the like tags that I have to pass and cut off from the right.

To the person who said 70+ is a hazard - go read a book, grandma, maybe you'll get a bit smarter before you die. The fatality rate on German roads is at least twice lower that those in US. It's not the speed that kills, it's a combination of many factors, and driver education is part of it. If you get flashed/honked from behind by a black SUV - it's me, and you better move right ASAP.

We have speed limits for a reason. Around here, you'd be lucky to make it to 70mph.

BTW, I hope it wasn't you driving a black GMC/Chevy SUV with a personalized plate reading "MARK...". If it was you, do remember cutting me off at the Pentagon exit on Monday when I was driving in the RIGHT lane and you decided to jump over at the last minute from the left to exit? I gave you the friendly finger salute that you so rightly deserved. But if it wasn't you, then you can ignore this post.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 9:57am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUVPlease check with Toyota - the source - about how the hybrid's synergy drive works.

And, as has been pointed out several times, you need to be AT LEAST at HOV-5 in a COMPACT to have the per person emissions of a compact hybrid. Were you in a COMPACT? If you were in a SUV, you needed to be HOV-14. Were you?

Oh, boy, where do I start... I hate to break it to you, but at highway speeds you hybrid is just an underpowered overweight econobox. Do you think your Prius(?) with a 1.5l or so engine is more efficient than say a Chevy Aveo with the same size engine but w/o extra weight of the batteries/losses in transmission??

And btw, do you know that to be efficient catalytic converters have to work in a certain - pretty high! - temp range? Do you know that the most damage to the environment is done during engine start-ups? How many times your engine starts during a drive? In your car, do you have an auxilary air pump that pumps air to the cats to "lighten" tham faster during engine start-ups? I thought so.

mdog - Once again, I'm assuming ignorance. Please investigate how the synergy drive works before your next tirade. Education rarely has been known to hurt.

BTW, never said I went to 80 and stayed there; however, I've found that most of the time on I395 in the express lanes during commuting hours that it is possible to go for long stretches - even the entire route after the Pentagon - to put the cruise control on at a few mph above the speed limit. Sometimes have to go to 80 to get around someone going slower in the right and have some idiot in a black SUV who tries to keep you from getting over in the left to make the pass.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 11:32am
3-For-HOV, no it wasn't me - I never abuse people in right lane nor consider it as appropriate (except for occasions like when a moron stops in the Right-turn only lane and waits for green to go straight, refusing to at least move slightly forward/lean left,- but that's another story). Besides, passing on the right is a bad practice and, for example illegal in Germany, - this is one of the reasons I'm so annoyed with the left lane hogs: they create dangerous situations w/o even realizing it. However, let me ask you one question: when you give someone a finger, do you think there's a possibility - even remote - that this someone will chase you, block, get out of his car, walk to yours, open your door and break that very finger? Of course he'll most likely will face legal concequences - but you'll end up in a lot of pain and with a broken finger at least. Is it worth it? If you're undecided, try in in NY in Queens or Brooklyn - it may change some of your perspectives.

NoSUV, your response is a typical “I refuse to face the reality" statement made primarily out of arrogance - and your inability to answer any of my questions only proves it. You’re the one who should read something beyond the Toyota website. Geez...

CatHerder, I lived in NoVA for the last 10 years, and hell no I wasn’t in the military. And I drove in many countries, including Germany as recently as this winter. And if you say there are no 2-lane autobahns – I laugh at you and will not continue this discussion until you study the subject – your life in Germany was limited by a military base and nearby country roads, probably? Military wife, am I right? Also, I have a motorcycle license, so I can discuss this subject with you as well, including the accident you’ve described - but I’m afraid your knowledge is very limited here too, which will make the conversation similar to the one with that hybrid owner above. Once again, speed alone doesn’t kill. It's always a combination of factors.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by Oosik

Mdog,

I generally drive over the speed limit, but if you come behind me in either lane and flash me and blast me with your horn and I will quickly settle in on the exact speed limit, although I may slow down or speed up to keep you from passing me. Remember that the drivers you flash can be as big an A-hole as you are for flashing.

A typical response from a a-hole. You refuse to yield and on top that act as a complete moron. You must be very proud of yourself. Ever wondered why the entire world hates America? Well, it's because of you this (great) country has such a bad rep. Good job! Atta boy!

BTW, do you even know it's ILLEGAL in VA to block the left lane when the right one is open - no matter at what speed you're driving? I bet you don't. But once again, why you need to know things since you're always right, right?
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:42pm
quote:

Mdog,

I generally drive over the speed limit, but if you come behind me in either lane and flash me and blast me with your horn and I will quickly settle in on the exact speed limit, although I may slow down or speed up to keep you from passing me. Remember that the drivers you flash can be as big an A-hole as you are for flashing.

Mr. Baculum,

Perhaps a look at the traffic laws of Virginia might lend some insight into what one should or should not do in a given situation. If you are driving in the left lane abreast of a vehicle in the right lane, the driver of an overtaking vehicle is acting within the law when giving audible or light signal of his wish to pass. If you fail to yield, you are in violation of the law. If the right lane is open, the overtaking driver can simply pass you on the right. If you are driving in the right lane and somebody roars up behind you flashing and beeping, feel free to issue the one-fingered salute. [:o)]

§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 3:44pm
quote:

NoSUV, your response is a typical “I refuse to face the reality" statement made primarily out of arrogance - and your inability to answer any of my questions only proves it. You’re the one who should read something beyond the Toyota website. Geez...

It figures that YOU would CHOOSE to remain ignorant.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 5:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

Mdog,

Mr. Baculum,

Perhaps a look at the traffic laws of Virginia might lend some insight into what one should or should not do in a given situation. If you are driving in the left lane abreast of a vehicle in the right lane, the driver of an overtaking vehicle is acting within the law when giving audible or light signal of his wish to pass. If you fail to yield, you are in violation of the law. If the right lane is open, the overtaking driver can simply pass you on the right. If you are driving in the right lane and somebody roars up behind you flashing and beeping, feel free to issue the one-fingered salute. [:o)]

§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

Mycroft, at least you understand my username. [:D] For the others, it would note that I am specifically not an "A hole" but rather something a bit more forward.

If I find myself in the left lane or any lane it is generally to be moving faster than other vehicles. Should someone come up behind me and flash and honk it is more than likely that they are exceeding the speed limit by a significant degree. I don't think I have much to fear of blocking someone when I am going at or above the speed limit -- perhaps I deserve a speeding ticket, but I sincerely doubt being charged for failing to allow someone to speed faster than the limit. If it is below the speed limit, I am more likely to be charged for tailgating.

I have lived in Germany and I have been in traffic jams where some idiot is flashing me and he could have just as easily walked up to my car and talked with me -- that's how fast we were moving. I don't like being flashed and it generally indicates an aggressive driver. That is one German custom that should not cross the Atlantic.

In this area I have only had a few instances of being flashed and honked at. The last time was when I was in the right lane creeping across the Wilson bridge. My only thought at the time was that the driver wanted me to pull off onto the shoulder so they could pass me by and then be only one car length farther ahead in a traffic jam. On another occassion, I was in the far left lane and probably 3-4 car lengths behind another driver in front of me going about 60 mph. The guy who came up behind me apparently wanted me to tailgate even closer (he was probably only a car length behind me). But, I was passing cars to my right, could not have merged to the right if I wanted to, and I did take offense.

If you come behind someone driving at or above the speed limit and with the general flow of traffic, you have no business flashing or honking your horn. And, please don't ever just put on your high beams as that will cause me to drop to a crawl and I will risk a ticket for that.

Also note that on HOV there are a number of left exits. The fact that many drivers will not allow you to merge has likely increased the chances of people staying in the left lane.

In any event, your original posting presumes that there are even cops enforcing the traffic laws in the HOV lanes -- that does not seem to happen very often, if ever, so your point is moot.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 8:18pm
quote:
If you come behind someone driving at or above the speed limit and with the general flow of traffic, you have no business flashing or honking your horn. And, please don't ever just put on your high beams as that will cause me to drop to a crawl and I will risk a ticket for that.

I hope you don't have kids - such people shouldn't be allowed to breed.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 11:57am
I only have four kids, but if it helps, I have gotten snipped.

Perhaps the world would be better with more enraged lunatics racing up on someone's bumper with lights and horns flashing in order to get another car length ahead. I find the behavior boorish, aggressive, dangerous and impolite and I guess we can both agree to disagree.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic