Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!
    Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 10:49am
This is a friendly (for now) remider to HOV lane user to move right whenever the right lane is open.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 2:36pm
mdog,

Your topic about using the righthand lanes has been brought up several times before and driving there is the proper thing to do almost all the time.
But, please make note that one reality HOV drivers face in the afternoons is almost all the exits on the HOV stretch from the Pentagon to the Franconia-Springfield Parkway are to the left from the lefthand lane.
So, please be considerate of those drivers who get into the left lane to make their afternoon exits when they're driving home. [:)]
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 6:34pm
Well, after 5..5-30 PM both lines are pretty full anyway. But I'm more annoyed with the morning traffic and those A-holes that hog the left lane (btw, many of them being hybrid owners - surprise surprise) that cannot get their pos cars go faster than 70 MPH and yet resist to move right.
CatHerder View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatHerder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 9:48am
If you wish to go +70 mph you are just another hazard on the road.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:13am
quote:
Originally posted by mdog

Well, after 5..5-30 PM both lines are pretty full anyway. But I'm more annoyed with the morning traffic and those A-holes that hog the left lane (btw, many of them being hybrid owners - surprise surprise) that cannot get their pos cars go faster than 70 MPH and yet resist to move right.

Most the cloggers actually seem to be either buses or SUVs. My '02 Prius has no problem going above 80. I'd be surprised if later models have problems.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

quote:

Most the cloggers actually seem to be either buses or SUVs. My '02 Prius has no problem going above 80. I'd be surprised if later models have problems.

At that speed your prius is just another fossil-fuel-burning car getting 25 MPG, but since you don't slug, it's an SOV. Thanks for contributing to the smog, fuel consumption, traffic congestion problems! I slugged in today with three other people (that's HOV one car vs. 4 SOVs)! Happy earth day!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

quote:

At that speed your prius is just another fossil-fuel-burning car getting 25 MPG, but since you don't slug, it's an SOV. Thanks for contributing to the smog, fuel consumption, traffic congestion problems! I slugged in today with three other people (that's HOV one car vs. 4 SOVs)! Happy earth day!

raymond - you have made a false statement. I suspect it is from ignorance rather than malicious.

Please check with Toyota - the source - about how the hybrid's synergy drive works.

And, as has been pointed out several times, you need to be AT LEAST at HOV-5 in a COMPACT to have the per person emissions of a compact hybrid. Were you in a COMPACT? If you were in a SUV, you needed to be HOV-14. Were you?
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 11:18pm
Ha, interesting, cause most of the times it's vehicles with CF and the like tags that I have to pass and cut off from the right.

To the person who said 70+ is a hazard - go read a book, grandma, maybe you'll get a bit smarter before you die. The fatality rate on German roads is at least twice lower that those in US. It's not the speed that kills, it's a combination of many factors, and driver education is part of it. If you get flashed/honked from behind by a black SUV - it's me, and you better move right ASAP.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 11:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUVPlease check with Toyota - the source - about how the hybrid's synergy drive works.

And, as has been pointed out several times, you need to be AT LEAST at HOV-5 in a COMPACT to have the per person emissions of a compact hybrid. Were you in a COMPACT? If you were in a SUV, you needed to be HOV-14. Were you?

Oh, boy, where do I start... I hate to break it to you, but at highway speeds you hybrid is just an underpowered overweight econobox. Do you think your Prius(?) with a 1.5l or so engine is more efficient than say a Chevy Aveo with the same size engine but w/o extra weight of the batteries/losses in transmission??

And btw, do you know that to be efficient catalytic converters have to work in a certain - pretty high! - temp range? Do you know that the most damage to the environment is done during engine start-ups? How many times your engine starts during a drive? In your car, do you have an auxilary air pump that pumps air to the cats to "lighten" tham faster during engine start-ups? I thought so.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 8:27am
Mdog,

I generally drive over the speed limit, but if you come behind me in either lane and flash me and blast me with your horn and I will quickly settle in on the exact speed limit, although I may slow down or speed up to keep you from passing me. Remember that the drivers you flash can be as big an A-hole as you are for flashing.

Germany may indeed have better accident statistics, I am taking your word on the matter. However, a significant amount of their time on their roads is spent in a "stau" -- one of the first words Americans learn when they go to live in Germany. That is, an infinitely long traffic jam. I actually drive faster here in this area than I did in Germany.

BTW, you are not in Germany so leave the flashing of headlights on that side of the Atlantic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic