Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paying for rides!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:52am
NoSOV

IF, and that is the big question, HOV3 remains free, and tolls are imposed, and if these tolls are as high as 40.00 each way from Stafford, drivers will be very happy to pick up slugs. Heck, it may even be to their benefit to pay people to ride with them. I am not advocating I am just saying there will be MORE incentive to pick up slugs. Even Springfield, at 8.00 each way would be a financial incentive to pick up slugs, IF HOV3 remains after tolls. Of course, it will be unlikely to remain free. More likely, 1/2 price, but even so, tolls add up. It won't be just a few dollars more for most, it will be alot of dollars more added to high fuel prices.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 1:09pm
If this idea of offering money for gas takes hold, I see problems arising in the line. A possible scenario: A rider at the front of the line offers $1 towards gas but another rider (who needs to get downtown fast), offers $2 to jump to the head of the line to get the ride. Not good.

For a system that has worked 30 yrs, leave well enough alone.
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:53pm
Each side meets a need which, without both sides, would never be met. Mutual, I'm sure.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 7:17am
I'm with mycrofft on this one - leave well enough alone.

If you, as a slug, are worried about things not being equitable, then drive at least once a week.

The link that someone posted about the same topic was from 3 years ago. Same issues, yet the "system" somehow survived... What does that tell you?
BIG NAT View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG NAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:59pm
I agree with paying a nominal fee for sluggin but people are too use to the system as it is and will find every excuse to keep from changing. If there were a shortage of drivers, then this would be a great idea to all those who don't like the idea right now.

There would have to be a significant drop in drivers for this to happen. I say to those that drive, try to get a carpool going and stick with those folks take turns driving, giving gas money, etc.
This approach might get drivers off the road and cause everyone to consider helping out with gas.

It's not about tax implications and fixing broken stuff as some ppl. have posted. Gas is ridiculous and everyone is suffering. Be considerate and give your driver a dam dollar!

BIG NAT
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 2:10pm
It's my suspecion that Bob is right about HOT being the end of the slug system - and most likely this issue will be one of the reasons. As has been stated before, slugging works because it is mutually beneficial; drivers go fast and slugs pay nothing. When HOT arrives, drivers can go fast without slugs, and the incremental cost of the toll may well be insignificant for drivers compared with the uncompensated costs of driving.

When the drivers stop picking up slugs, and "tip" money is finally forthcoming, it will be too late - the drivers who left the system won't know about tips being offerred.

The system "working" now versus the potential of later may be worthy of a different thread.
Fshiferaw View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fshiferaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by sandy

Hello Everyone,

I am usually a slug from Bob's to 18th and E, but sometimes I drive, but 80% of the time I am a slug.
I just wanted to see how everyone feels about slugs paying drivers a minimal fee to catch a ride.

The way it works right now:
The driver's Expenses are:
Monthly Parking is around 200-250.00 (downtown area)
Gas (I dont have to tell you about gas prices)
Wear and Tear on the car

BUT, as a driver, your ONLY benefit is being able to get to your destination faster because of slugs in your car.

AS a SLUG, you also get to your destination faster, but you also save LOTS of $$$ in GAS, Parking And wear and tear on your car.

So CLEARLY, the slug has a MAJOR advantage in the way the system works right now, you get ALL the benefits for FREE. It is like having your own Chauffeur.

If I was to take the metro from Springfield, to Farragut West i would spend about 12.00/day (includes parking fee at metro) so FREE rides are obviously better.

MY POINT:
We as slugs should start contributing to a GAS fund for the driver who is nice enough to give us a ride, i am not suggesting an exorbitant amount; off the top of my head I would suggest 1 DOLLAR per ride at a minimum that would allow the driver to get 4/day which would be about 1 Gallon of gas per day.

It only seems fair to me, I understand that some of you will NOT like this proposal. But think about the alternative if you were to drive (Gas, parking, wear and tear) or take the metro (fares and Parking and Time) you still come out ahead by paying just 2/day for slugging. Everyone is being affected by the current state of our economy, lets be fair to our fellow drivers so we can all continue to benefit from this amazing system.

Like I said, I am mostly a slug and truly will NOT mind paying 2/day for all the aforementioned benefits.

What do you all think??

thanks

S

Fshiferaw
Fshiferaw View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fshiferaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by sandy

Hello Everyone,

I am usually a slug from Bob's to 18th and E, but sometimes I drive, but 80% of the time I am a slug.
I just wanted to see how everyone feels about slugs paying drivers a minimal fee to catch a ride.

The way it works right now:
The driver's Expenses are:
Monthly Parking is around 200-250.00 (downtown area)
Gas (I dont have to tell you about gas prices)
Wear and Tear on the car

BUT, as a driver, your ONLY benefit is being able to get to your destination faster because of slugs in your car.

AS a SLUG, you also get to your destination faster, but you also save LOTS of $$$ in GAS, Parking And wear and tear on your car.

So CLEARLY, the slug has a MAJOR advantage in the way the system works right now, you get ALL the benefits for FREE. It is like having your own Chauffeur.

If I was to take the metro from Springfield, to Farragut West i would spend about 12.00/day (includes parking fee at metro) so FREE rides are obviously better.

MY POINT:
We as slugs should start contributing to a GAS fund for the driver who is nice enough to give us a ride, i am not suggesting an exorbitant amount; off the top of my head I would suggest 1 DOLLAR per ride at a minimum that would allow the driver to get 4/day which would be about 1 Gallon of gas per day.

It only seems fair to me, I understand that some of you will NOT like this proposal. But think about the alternative if you were to drive (Gas, parking, wear and tear) or take the metro (fares and Parking and Time) you still come out ahead by paying just 2/day for slugging. Everyone is being affected by the current state of our economy, lets be fair to our fellow drivers so we can all continue to benefit from this amazing system.

Like I said, I am mostly a slug and truly will NOT mind paying 2/day for all the aforementioned benefits.

What do you all think??

thanks

S

Fshiferaw
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:09pm
A dollar? Hey, if you going to be cheap let's not make an issue out of it.
Fshiferaw View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fshiferaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:17pm
The gas prices are going to keep going up and i don't belive $1 is good enough. As it was stated earlier from three people you are not even getting the one gallon price of unleaded gas.

common lets contribute to the driver.

Thanks
F

Fshiferaw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
  Share Topic