Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using stuff to secure place in line?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugAtHorner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:54am
Jody, Unfortunately rossrider seems to want to distract from this basic question: is it appropriate to “save” ones place in the slug line with a personal item while relaxing in their car? Rossriders own comments do not answer why they feel this is an appropriate activity; only that they have done it in other lines and gotten by with it. Her response to my DMV illustration was “this is a different situation”, yet does not explain how she feels it is different.

Like you, I feel rossrider does not seem to know nor want to know & understand the history behind the slug line. I have been slugging off and on now for around 15 years and, while I am fairly new to the Horner Road Rosslyn line, in my time I have never witnessed anyone attempting to save their place in line while reclining nearby in their vehicle. I have only seen people run back for forgotten items, and come back.

Rossrider should understand she cannot be permitted to unilaterally rewrite the intuitive operation of the slug line. It has worked just fine for a long time the way it is. Her invitation to set a precedent for “place saving” is unwelcome.
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:32am
So you mean I could actually wake up, drive over to the slug lot, put my newspaper, or other obvious item, on the ground and then head back home to get ready for the day. This is actually a great idea. I could take my own sweet time getting ready, knowing that my spot is secure since I marked my territory and nobody would dare to usurp my authority. [:0] Um, not so much.

SAH makes a valid point. Just because it has worked in the past doesn't mean it's right. It goes against common courtesy and slug etiquette. Whoever is doing this needs to get over themselves and stand in line.
Heather Harvey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heather Harvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:37am
Couldn't agree more go2grl...It's not polite and it goes against poper etiquette. Stand in line like everyone else and wait your turn.

Leaving a "marker" just isn't how things work...if it's standing in line to buy concert tickets, buy groceries, or the DMV as referenced earlier...and it's not the proper way to slug.

SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:18pm
I have been slugging for close to 14 years. I arrive at my commuter lot very early in the morning and put my bag in line and grab the Washington Express and get back in my car. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 other bags in line. When I see other slugs arrive and stand in line, I get out of my car and wait in line. This is not new. It has been going on for years and it works. In all of that time I have only had one person object and it was resolved peacefully. Evidently some of you have nothing better to do than complain. This system has worked for years as it is! If you don't like it...don't slug!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:15pm
Out of curiosity - what happens when a car drives up and instead of people, there are 3 - 4 bags there? Do you all get out of your cars and run to the car to see where it's going?

And what line is this?
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by SJS

I have been slugging for close to 14 years. I arrive at my commuter lot very early in the morning and put my bag in line and grab the Washington Express and get back in my car. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 other bags in line. When I see other slugs arrive and stand in line, I get out of my car and wait in line. This is not new. It has been going on for years and it works. In all of that time I have only had one person object and it was resolved peacefully. Evidently some of you have nothing better to do than complain. This system has worked for years as it is! If you don't like it...don't slug!

I beg to differ. Just because it has been done, doesn't mean it should be done. This is not about complaining. A question was asked and we are giving our opinion of what we think is appropriate. You think it is fine; I do not. Leaving an inanimate object to save your place in line is not part of the "system". To me, it is indicative of a general disregard for good manners. If I came up to a line and there were bags/umbrellas/whatever holding places, I would, and rightfully so, take my proper place in front of said items. In response to your last statement, I say that if you can't be bothered to stand in line to wait for your ride, you are more than welcome to stop slugging and start driving since you are so comfortable sitting in your car.[;)]
rossrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:39pm
This has gotten out of hand.
SlugAtHoner, I find to hard to believe that you a "Christian Minister" has gone to the "world" to attempt to prove your point. Do you feel better? Have you won your battle? Was it really worth all of this back and forth. The cynicism? Are you happy?
Thank you SJS for saying that it does and can work. I wish you all the best!
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 3:44pm
Why not just call local law enforcement and report a suspicious unattended bag?

Hooch
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:11am
Seems to me the basic premise of mutual, cooperative, agreeable, etc that permeates the slug experience is clearly violated by the practice. The collective - our varied observations here - suggest that a good number of the collective are somewhere between annoyed and offended. If our activity - slug - is based on mutually agreeable practices this one should go. It offends the senses of of some if not many. That in and of itself is enough to suggest the practice is not acceptable behavior for the agreeable community that is slugging.
SlugAtHorner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugAtHorner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 11:33am
I agree. Fact is that only 1 person expressed an agreeable tone with Rossrider and as it turns out that person also engages in this practice, and has himself attempted to defend the practice, with similar success. This practice is very disagreeable and it seems historically to have caused great disagreement. I motion that we make it part of the Slug Guidelines. That would put a rest to the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic