Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using stuff to secure place in line?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by SlugAtHorner

This is the Basic Question: Is it appropriate to use your stuff to secure your place in line while waiting nearby in your vehicle? To be more specific, the question posed is, is it appropriate to come to a slug line, leave a bag or some personal item on the ground to maintain your place/position in line, and then wait nearby seated inside a car.

Now I've heard it all! Simple answer: No, it is not appropriate to "leave a bag... to 'maintain' your place in line, and then wait nearby seated inside a car..." Some people!

However, I have seen slugs set their bag down and walk back up the line to converse with a friend for a moment. Short walk/talk, bag owner in attendance, return to line prior to the line moving = No problemo! But dropping off a bag and sitting in your car expecting others standing in line to "respect your spot" - Sorry Charlie.

Next time try this: take a look in the bag to see if there is a lite snack, or interesting book, and comment to other slugs on what you find. Bet that bag owner will not do it again.
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 7:29am
So the person using their bag to hold their place expects to have people move their bag up as the line moves. That bag is going to sit where it stands, and watch what happens when the moron tries to reclaim his place in line.:)
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 2:21pm
OK all you little whiney babies...it is apparent that you all believe that whatever you have say regarding any subject is true and gospel and every slug should do whatever you say...and evidently most of you cannot read or do not have a shred of common sense! If you will read my previous post, you will see that I said...I put my bag in line and sit in my car until other slugs arrive...THEN I ACTUALLY EXIT MY CAR AND STAND IN LINE LIKE A GOOD LITTLE SLUG SHOULD. No, I do not expect you to move my bag unless you plan on moving me with it. And regardless of what you think is rude or wrong, I will not get out of my car in a dark commuter lot until another slug arrives. So hate me if you will and I could care less about the name calling from you. I believe in safety and the slug process and don't need stupid advice for any of the newbies or grouchy old people! You all need to get a life! [:D]
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:45pm
In a democracy, majority rules. Since very few posters agree with your "New Rule," be prepared for SlugatHorner to spread the word to other slugs who park there to stop what a minority of slugs are doing. To quote a verse in a Eagles song: "Quit bitchin, moaning, pitching a fit. Get over it."
sLugLiFe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sLugLiFe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 10:39pm
you guys are great!!
AWinner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:17pm
I'm quite surprised by the results. I disagree with the majority. I think a placeholder is perfectly acceptable if it does not cause delays for anyone. In the case presented, it seems to work just fine. If I were in line and 3 bags were in front of me, it wouldn't bother me as long as it does not delay the process. 3 bags or 3 people are the same to me. In many lines, this is not possible because it would certainly cause delays and confusion. I think most readers are saying it wouldn't work in their situation, but fail to recognize that it could work in another situation. Add to that, they like to complain for entertainment value. This thread has been entertaining for me - kudos to all who make this and other posts a good read.
alonsito View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alonsito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 1:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Hi SlugAtHorner. I'm with elizabeth64 on this one. The rider loses their place in line.

alonsito View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alonsito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 2:32pm
There are situations and situations. In my particular case I am always among the first 3 in line.(around 5:20 A.M.)(By the way I do this only in cold weather). The other 2 people that arrive early also leave their bags and wait in their cars. We do not stay in the car waiting until a car stops by to pick up sluggers.We take our place in the line much before that.The first car stops around 5:55 or 6 A.M.
(or later) When we go into the line only 2 or 3 more people have arrived.(2 of these have complaints regarding us sitting in our cars) By the time all the rest of the usual sluggers (15 or 20 people)get to the line, we have been there for a long time. They have never seen us sitting in our cars. I mentioned this because somebody mentioned "democracy" and "majority rules". How can this 2 complainers impose their criteria on 3 people in this particular situation? It would be different if everybody was in line and only the 3 of us would be sitting in our cars waiting until the last minute before a car arrives. That is not the case. Also, if these people want to impose their rule in our slug line isn't it appropiate to consult and exchange opinions with everybody else(including us)instead of starting harrassing us with loud "unfriendly or mocking commentaries"?
I agree with democracy and majority rule but I have never agreed with "bully attitudes".
Thank you very much for everybody's input
Alonsito
alonsito View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alonsito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 2:50pm
How often do you a line at the DMV and how often do you slug???
(apples to oranges??)
ms. binklesworth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms. binklesworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 4:40pm
WOW!
And where's this happening again???

I've never seen someone secure their place in line using objects. That's just crazy to me.

I guess the conversation would go: "Did you just get in front of my book bag? I was here first. Lady, you need to show more respect for book bags."

LOL[:D]

Binkles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic