Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is "Will Call" appropriate???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:45pm
Just to clarify - I agree with Maylo, shelbybrynn and rale -not Artplyn. Artplyn - you miss the point in your defense of tbell.

quote:
Originally posted by Telser
[br]I also agree about tbell. As to respond to the Admin. question, it bothers me alot when people call friends and relatives "out of turn," especially if the line is long and moving slowly. I'm primarily bothered because it seems to be grossly abused. We all know lots of people and this choosing out of the line seems very, very juvenile to me.

artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:49pm
telser, I think you miss my point. I was not defending tbell's position, just her right to express it. As Shelby stated: "That is what this website is all about, people voicing their opinions"
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by artplyn
[br]I defend everyone's right to an opinion and the right to express it (including tbell's).
As for the topic:
If a slug has the right to refuse a driver, then a driver has the right to refuse a slug (or multiple)...that automatically allows 'will call'

In addition, a driver can call out a very specific destination, say a mutual workplace, that a person waiting in the slug line will know. So even if there is somehow a rule against "will call", it will be useless. As a rider I have to agree I don't like it when someone in line behind me gets in a car before me after I have been waiting for 15 minutes, but that's how it works. No rule is going to change it either.
Robb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:51pm
Your response shows that rude is an understatement in describing you. Why don't you start your own website, and then when someone responds to you as you did to the Admin. request, let's see how you feel.
As far as freedom of speech - well here's some for youtbell - you consistently sound a like a two year old brat. If you are an adult, I find it difficult to believe.

quote:
Originally posted by tbell511
[br]It called freedom of speech and as long as I am an American I will continue to excercise that right, and If have a problem with my ability to freely excercise my right WHO CARES??? oh yeah shellybrynn who has an opinion about EVERYTHING I love you too.........

TBell

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:52pm
It seems to me that common sense rules the roost with this issue, as with many others. The overall theory of HOV is that it's supposed to take cars off the road, right? OK (BTW, this is hypothetical, not based on experience), suppose you see your next-door neighbor in line at the Pentagon and you know that he normally slugs to Bob's and, en route, calls his wife to come pick him up. Are the "no will-call" folks suggesting that even in this situation, you should not pick up your neighbor? I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that you shouldn't pick him up. You're potentially taking TWO cars off the road (his car for the commute, and his wife's car to pick him up). With that said, the point made by Kortegel in the other thread is also a fair point--i.e., if you do this on a daily basis with the same person, you should make an alternative arrangement, such as meeting the person at a different location within the slug lot away from the line. Kortegel also made a good point that you can't exactly be expected to reject your SPOUSE.

Ultimately, though, the one rule that you have to remember is that it's the DRIVER'S car. We all agree that the driver is free to reject a rider, just as a rider can reject a driver--for any reason (e.g., if a driver is racist and says "No blacks," that's his right). So if the "will call" option is wrong, who's to say that a driver won't just say, "OK, you, you, you, and you aren't welcome?" I know it may come back to bite him in the future when the rejected riders remember him, but isn't it a situation where it's the same thing via a different logic?
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:54pm
While I agree that you can say as you like, what does "freedom of speech" have to do with a private message board? The First Amendment only applies to the government (that's one reason why your employer can prohibit you from wearing an off-color t-shirt, for example).

quote:
Originally posted by tbell511
[br]It called freedom of speech and as long as I am an American I will continue to excercise that right, and If have a problem with my ability to freely excercise my right WHO CARES??? oh yeah shellybrynn who has an opinion about EVERYTHING I love you too.........

TBell

shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 2:54pm
The reason I have a problem with "will call" is that it is basically cutting in line. Say you are standing in the line at The Pentagon waiting to get home and the line is extremely long and it is freezing cold outside and a friend of yours pulls up and takes you from the back of the line and NOT the next person in line. To me that's not fair to all the people who have been waiting alot longer than you have. I have friends that I occassionally ride home with and we will arrange ahead of time for a different place to meet up. That is the responsible thing to do. I know I have personally turned down riding home with one of my good friends who I hadn't seen in a long time because I was at the back of the line and I didn't feel it was fair to the others. If we want the slug system to work for both riders and drivers, common courtesy is a must. We have been taught since grade school that cutting in line is not acceptable so why would we start doing it as adults? As far as "will call" being compared to rejecting drivers/riders it doesn't compare because that practice is done out of concern for safety and/or comfort levels (i.e. reckless drivers, the B.O. lady, or no AC in 100o heat) and I feel that should only be done in special cases because after all, it is a free ride.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 5:16pm
I'm curious, would you challenge either the driver calling out a particular person or the person called by the driver who accepts the ride, and, if you would challenge the driver, what would your argument be? I'm just curious, as I don't go to 630.

quote:
Originally posted by shelbybrynn
[br]The reason I have a problem with "will call" is that it is basically cutting in line. Say you are standing in the line at The Pentagon waiting to get home and the line is extremely long and it is freezing cold outside and a friend of yours pulls up and takes you from the back of the line and NOT the next person in line. To me that's not fair to all the people who have been waiting alot longer than you have. I have friends that I occassionally ride home with and we will arrange ahead of time for a different place to meet up. That is the responsible thing to do. I know I have personally turned down riding home with one of my good friends who I hadn't seen in a long time because I was at the back of the line and I didn't feel it was fair to the others. If we want the slug system to work for both riders and drivers, common courtesy is a must. We have been taught since grade school that cutting in line is not acceptable so why would we start doing it as adults? As far as "will call" being compared to rejecting drivers/riders it doesn't compare because that practice is done out of concern for safety and/or comfort levels (i.e. reckless drivers, the B.O. lady, or no AC in 100o heat) and I feel that should only be done in special cases because after all, it is a free ride.

leblanc9425 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leblanc9425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2002 at 8:40am
I see nothing wrong with the "will call" practice. Although I've seen it excercised plenty of times, it's actually fairly rare. What's the difference if I happen to see somebody I know in line and then: park my car temporarily, walk up and get them out of line, get back into my car, and then drive back up to the slug line and call for the third person? I guess if I did this, people would not be offended because now I'm not excersising "will call" but the effect is still the same. Nobody gets angry if a driver arrives with somebody else in the car already right? So, I guess I could go through the gyrations meantioned above so that I have a car with two riders asking for the next slug in line. It's all about perceptions. If I were a slug standing in line and my wife happened to drive by and didn't "will call" me....grrrr, I'd have something to say about it!

Of course there are limits to everything. I would not support will call if the practice was simply picking who you wanted to ride in your car from the line of people. This would amount to drivers cruising the line and picking out perhaps people they thought were attractive or the like...very bad.

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2002 at 1:38pm
This is rarely a problem. My example: If there was a dedicated line to Rosslyn, I would p/u riders there. But there's not, so I go to the Pentagon lines and ask. If someone wants to go to Rosslyn they can step out of line and ride with me, if not I'll take the next person in line to Pentagon. Usually no problem. Friends should carpool when they can. But if I see a friend in line that goes my way I'll ask others in front if they mind. Usually no problem. Remember: Driver owns the car - Driver sets the destination. What's the issue?

Bottom line: Riders ride for free, drivers get to use HOV, what a great deal for both! Let's not forget that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic