Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is "Will Call" appropriate???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is "Will Call" appropriate???
    Posted: 05 Dec 2002 at 12:15pm
There has been a lot of discussion about whether "will call" is appropriate. "Will Call" is when a driver sees a friend or family member waiting in a slug line and calls them out of line to get into the car. This means, the person at the head of the line must wait for the next car.

Is this appropriate?? What do you think?
artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 12:37pm
This has been heavily discussed in the 'Can I Reject a Rider' thread.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 1:17pm
Personally, it doesn't bother me when I see it happen. It doesn't happen often enough to pose a serious risk to the continuity of a slug line (and I use several of them). I have done it on occasion (but usually will pick up two from the front of the line, it makes my conscience feel better[:)]). Even if a driver DOES take a friend from the middle of the line and pulls just one more from the front, it would be like someone pulled up with someone already in a vehicle and would just take one anyway (like a husband and wife that commute together). I think an opinion on this matter also depends on where you are in the line. If you are in the rear of the line, you're not going to care too much. It actually hooks up people that were more to the rear of the line because they advanced two people ahead anyway. To those in front that may get upset over this, just remember that there will be another car, there always is. There are much more important things to worry about than someone "stealing your seat."

One last thought. The only thing that is consitent about any given slug line is that, on a day to day basis, it is largely INconsistent. You never know what the line will look like, or what the ratio of drivers to passengers may be that day. If I am worried about getting to work at a certain time, I will allow myself time for something to delay me in my commute or I will find a scheduled alternate form of transportation (like the VRE) for that day. If I am at the front of the slug line stressing over the fact that I'm going to be late because somebody pulled a buddy out of the line, then I need to reevaluate who's responsibility that was and to whom I should divert the blame.

I think of it this way. Someone's day was made somehow brighter because they got to ride in with a familiar face and a friendly voice. Who the heck am I to cast bad vibes down on that??
tbell511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbell511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 2:20pm
This has been heavily discussed in the 'Can I Reject a Rider' please leave it alone, just agree to disagree!!!

TBell
Maylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 12:24pm
How rude!!! The Administrator is asking for input. Who are you to say leave it alone? Don't like it? Simple. Don't read the thread. Cheez.

quote:
Originally posted by tbell511
[br]This has been heavily discussed in the 'Can I Reject a Rider' please leave it alone, just agree to disagree!!!

TBell

shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:06pm
That seems to be a standard response from tbell. I agree with you though Maylo. That is what this website is all about, people voicing their opinions and passing along valuable information. If she doesn't like the content of a particular thread, don't enter in on it.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:14pm
I absolutely agree with Maylo and shelbybrynn. tbell is not much of a, shall we say, "thinking" person.

quote:
Originally posted by shelbybrynn
[br]That seems to be a standard response from tbell. I agree with you though Maylo. That is what this website is all about, people voicing their opinions and passing along valuable information. If she doesn't like the content of a particular thread, don't enter in on it.

artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:33pm
I defend everyone's right to an opinion and the right to express it (including tbell's).
As for the topic:
If a slug has the right to refuse a driver, then a driver has the right to refuse a slug (or multiple)...that automatically allows 'will call'
Telser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:40pm
I also agree about tbell. As to respond to the Admin. question, it bothers me alot when people call friends and relatives "out of turn," especially if the line is long and moving slowly. I'm primarily bothered because it seems to be grossly abused. We all know lots of people and this choosing out of the line seems very, very juvenile to me.
tbell511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbell511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 1:40pm
It called freedom of speech and as long as I am an American I will continue to excercise that right, and If have a problem with my ability to freely excercise my right WHO CARES??? oh yeah shellybrynn who has an opinion about EVERYTHING I love you too.........

TBell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic