Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rude slugs? Or am I a rude driver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
serenitynow View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serenitynow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 2:44pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

As mentioned before, I'm new to driving slugs, but haven't had any probs till this morning.

I didn't get to the 17 lot till almost 8AM; the 8 mile drive from my house to there took me about an hour. [:(!] There was still a line of people and cars, so I figured I'd pick some people up.

I had one guy get in the car immediately, and I started to look for another rider. On slug tried to negotiate with me to drop her off in Clarendon, 30 minutes out of my way. One woman tried to argue with me when I asked her to sit in the backseat instead of the front, where I had 2 big boxes for work (which she tried to sit on). She ended up screaming, "CLEAN OUT YOUR CAR!", slamming the door, and going on to the next vehicle. At which point, the slug in my car told me that I (as opposed to his not getting to the lot till 8, or there being roadblocks everywhere from last night's monsoon) was "making people late" and he was just going to drive himself. At which point I left too.

I highly doubt people would keep driving if all slugs are so rude; did I violate some driver protocol, or did I just run into a-holes this morning?

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.

I have not logged in to this site in a few months, and rarely respond, but I am really surprised at the animosity projected from both sides of the scenario. My husband and I have been drivers and sluggers, So.. in 6 years I can honestly recall only 2 or 3 bad experiences, as a driver and a slug. (then again- could be I just blocked it out)

Clearly, you have truly found the bottom of the slug pit as it seems you consistently pick up people that offend you in a variety of ways and actually exit your vehicle on occassion. So maybe another location is a good idea to ensure you don't have to travel the main line or seek alternative commuting methods becuase you have to stop picking up slugs. Is it at all possible you may be a very sensitive person and perhaps perceive particular comments or behaviors as a personal affront? Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope your daily commute takes a turn for the better. The odds are on your side that you will find the "good" slugs who are grateful for your time and expense.

Then again, I guess the salt is an option, just don't melt all the slugs or there will be a lot more traffic in the main line. [;)]
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 12:16pm
122582 - that was hilarious! [:D]

122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 8:47am
Coffeelady, you must be the rudest driver of whom I've ever heard.

Are you telling me that you don't have your car detailed nightly before picking up slugs?

You didn't hop out and open the doors for your slugs, help them belt in (asking first if they minded wearing seatbelts in your car)?

You don't provide coffee in the morning and iced water in the afternoon?

You don't maintain exactly 72 degrees Fahrenheit in the cabin at all times? ( and of course drive around the block 3 times to let your car cool down in the afternon before picking up)

You dare to play audio that reflects your personal tastes, or beliefs?

You'll soon discover that many sugs out there believe they are the ones doing you a favor by accepting a free ride to work.

Not all are like that. Unfortunately though, many of the long time slugs are the worst. They have been full time slugs for so long that they have built their lifestyle around a free ride to work (I seem to recall a posting where a slug bragged about building a swimming pool with his or her savings).

Often the newer slugs who haven't gotten in a particular mindset are the best. I remember a springtime trip in to the Pentagon several years ago, where a rider apparently didn't like the position of my gas gauge, and offered to buy $5.00 worth if I wanted to stop.

Now watch the heated replies to my post, and note that most are senior members.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 2:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

Ah... I just realized "the latter" in the subject line and the text are two different stories.

So who was "wrong" here? I left that lot ready to never pick up slugs again. If it was I, would you mind explaining why so I can cease being offensive?

Oops - I didn't notice that the former and the latter were flip flopped. I meant the latter in the text of the message - You were fine; they were rude. [:D]
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 2:14pm
Thanks guys. [:)]

Oxi- that is so weird, the comments you were getting. I don't know that I'd really remember a car or a slug if I saw them again.

Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 1:38pm
This morning was tough for everyone - so many roads blocked! I am all FOR very civilized driver-slugger relationship, but ultimately, it is the driver who decided on the destination (sorry for stating the obvious [:)]

I used to go up 14th Street (in the morning), but switched to 18th since that route is much faster. I had a few people comment on my change of route, and one lady told me "You used to go 14th Street, and there are too many people for that destination, so why don't you go 14th street?" And that was AFTER I had 2 people for 18 street in my car! Go figure!

Cheer up, on days like today people are more sensitive, I think. Hope you have a better ride home.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 1:23pm
They were a-holes. Don't let a few knuckleheads ruin it for you - most riders are appreciative and can understand simple requests such as, "please sit in the back as I have things I'm transporting."
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 1:16pm
Ah... I just realized "the latter" in the subject line and the text are two different stories.

So who was "wrong" here? I left that lot ready to never pick up slugs again. If it was I, would you mind explaining why so I can cease being offensive?
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 11:43am
The latter.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:03am
As mentioned before, I'm new to driving slugs, but haven't had any probs till this morning.

I didn't get to the 17 lot till almost 8AM; the 8 mile drive from my house to there took me about an hour. [:(!] There was still a line of people and cars, so I figured I'd pick some people up.

I had one guy get in the car immediately, and I started to look for another rider. On slug tried to negotiate with me to drop her off in Clarendon, 30 minutes out of my way. One woman tried to argue with me when I asked her to sit in the backseat instead of the front, where I had 2 big boxes for work (which she tried to sit on). She ended up screaming, "CLEAN OUT YOUR CAR!", slamming the door, and going on to the next vehicle. At which point, the slug in my car told me that I (as opposed to his not getting to the lot till 8, or there being roadblocks everywhere from last night's monsoon) was "making people late" and he was just going to drive himself. At which point I left too.

I highly doubt people would keep driving if all slugs are so rude; did I violate some driver protocol, or did I just run into a-holes this morning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic