Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boycott Potomac Mills Mall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 757slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 5:03pm
Spongebob you are right. I use to get to Potomac Mills by 7:30 and there were ample spaces. Today the spaces were limited by 7:20. It seems that the lot will eventually fill up by 7:00am. I overheard a lady taking her turn yelling at management this morning. They advised her that some of the retail management were complaining and that they are contractually obligated to have a certain number of available spaces open for them. I agree and have no problem, but the spaces were are occupying are not near the mall entrances. The road blocks were put up even though there were spaces available in certain sections. It was way more sluggers than drivers today and eventually with the way security is handling the issue in the morning more drivers are going to drive elsewhere to pick up slugs because of the inconvience this issue is causing.
bagless View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 6:05pm
Dear Rideless,

I rode home with you this evening and realized I left my bag in the rear of your car. Please contact my husband at 703-859-2820 to arrange for the return of my bag.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Bagless
ceejay2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceejay2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 7:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bowman

I believe the problem is what the mall is doing after the parking spaces are full, not the amount of spaces. I heard they were ticketing drivers who showed up and tried to pick up dropoffs after the lot was full. There's no reason for them to do that. No spaces, fine, no one parks. But not everyone who slugs in parks at the mall. People take taxis or have others drop them off there too.

i understand that, Joe, and i don't think it's right either. but has anyone tried to communicate with mall management or the owners (NOT the renta cops, they're just doing what they were told to do) to get their policy or explain the kiss and ride concept with people dropping slugs off and not parking, or are we just gonna rush right into a boycott and negative publicity campaign that will surely have a negative effect on the entire lot?
ceejay2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceejay2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 7:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by Late rider
Why do you even bother wasting your time posting in here if you have no business there?[:D]

We are trying to save the slug system at Potomac Mills that worked just fine for many years.
You go ahead and pick up and drop off whatever at Horner Rd.

Thank you

Late Rider, I want to save the slug system too. It's a system I have participated in as both a driver and a rider for 16 years. I make the point that I don't use the Potomac Mills lot to show that I am not personally invested in that one lot. But I AM invested in the system. And calls to boycott the Mall that has granted use of nearly 1,000 parking places is short sighted at best, and counter productive at worst.

There is no agreement with the county for slugs to use those spaces. They are a "donation" from the management company that operates the mall to the community. What do you think you will gain by complaining to the BOCS? The board can't compel Simon Properties to turn over an ever-increasing amount of parking spots to commuters.

Having worked in private industry, I can just about predict what will happen if those here advocating a boycott succeed. The parking lot at Potomac Mills is privately owned. You are threatening their business. If they start to see even the slightest decrease in their business, whether it's from economic downturn or perceived effects from a boycott, they will retaliate by closing the lot to all commuters. And they'll have the perfect excuse to make it seem like it is NOT retaliation. They've already announced expansion plans, right? Where will they be expanding to? Parking lots. It will be the most natural thing in the world for them to close the lot (or drastically slash the amount of spaces allotted to commuters) on the basis that during construction of the expansion, they need all available spaces for mall customers. And no one with a lick of business sense could disagree.

I remember what happened when the owners of the defunct Incredible Universe closed their lot to commuters. Signs went up stating the lot was closed to all parking and towing would commence on Such and Such date. And guess what…towing commenced on Such and Such date. It was private property, and they were within their rights. Simon Properties is within their rights to enforce the guidelines for the commuter parking lot, whether commuters like it or not. I would not be a bit surprised, nor would I blame Simon if they started towing every car that was parked outside the allocated spaces.

I only ask that those who want to place leaflets on cars, advocate a boycott, involve the BOCS, and go to the media, to stop and think. Think past this week, and consider next year. You have a small group who might join a boycott…those who can't fit into "blue lines". No one else will care. The possibility exists to cause great harm to the slug system with very little gain, and the chance to lose much. Has anyone even tried to talk to mall management, or are we all just going to go off half cocked screaming boycott.

Oh, and Late Rider? Sorry that I dared to speak up as a voice of reason. Please do continue on your witch hunt.
kayslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:54am
dude PLEASE hush! for these reasons!

1. us parking at PM is doing the community the environment and our pockets a great deal of good

2. no one is in the mall during the day

3. not extended the parking limit for no specific reason, just because they are "theirs" is petty

4. the folks that slug are the only ones who can really afford to be in the mall shopping like PM wants

5. i am sick of businesses thinking they can do what they want when they want when it is US! ME! my FRIENDS FAMILY and NEIGHBORS who spend $$$ there.

6. slugging benefits us all. ill will not sit by and turn the other cheek. I’m turning the other cheek with the gas and food prices, not to mention racism and sexism, this battle can be fought and won.

im going to send this to WTOP! EVERYONE ELSE DO THE SAME!
aesthetic View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aesthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 10:48am
This is perfect... I just registered on the site so I could post a like to my online petition. I have set one up regarding Potomac Mills and their ridiculous policing of the lots. Everyone, please sign the peition and boycott Potomac Mills until we see change!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/MillsSlugSpaces/
beenhere2long View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenhere2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 10:57am
And, ironically.. today is DUMP THE PUMP DAY! A day dedicated to parking and using public transportation. What joke in Prince William County. We've been choked out of one commuter lot after another from the ever-increasing population thanks to our county supervisors who approved all the new subdivisions but not any new commuter lots. And, please don't bring up VDOT and Richmond. Prince William county could have stepped up to the plate and built more commuter lots on bonds just like we're paying for our own road- widening projects. As for ceejay.. I'm glad you're giving your input - being an open forum and a free country and all - but if you don't park and ride, you have no clue about what we're dealing with. Why don't you just stand down and read-only and let the rest of us work and put our minds together to find a solution. We don't need your negativity and non-help. Late rider, all the local news organizations have stories on Dump the Pump Day. It's a good day for everyone to rat out our PWC leaders and their lack of vision for a more proactive commuter community. WE NEED HELP!
Stoutlvrsbeauty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoutlvrsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:40am
I spoke to Mall Mgmt on Tuesday and gave them an earful. They said they were contractually obligated to the mall tenets to provide X number of retail spaces, and that the communters ate into that number. They didn't mention that in the flyer. They directed me to the county. What's the county going to do if it's a contract thing with the mall and it's tenets? Heard COSTCO was the retailer who complained about the parking and forced the issue. Has anyone EVER seen the mall/COSTCO parking lot completely full - even at Christmas? What a bunch of crap. I sent a message to 7 On Your Side. Everyone should! We need those spaces!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoutlvrsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:53am
For those of you suggesting other slug locations like the 95 lot and the Gambrills Rd lot, I have some questions. Do those locations have slug lines going to all destinations? I know some places do not service Crystal City. The back end is equally a problem. If I can get to Crystal City, how do I get home if those are not frequented lots?

Yes, it is absolutely a convenience thing. I already come from Manassas to get a parking spot so I can slug. I'm a single mother of three, and I've got to get kids to daycare in the morning, which also means I can't afford to take the bus or drive myself.

Hey CeeJay2 - if you're not involved, then please stick to what you know.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoutlvrsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 12:00pm
Hey 757Slugger - that was ME you overheard yelling at the "managers"! I felt much better having vented, but what good did it do?

I've signed the petition and notified 7 On Your Side. I'm not above shaming the mall into giving back the spaces!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic