Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills Issues and possible action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vawebman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 9:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy R

This morning I was getting dropped off at Potomac Mills to catch a ride in the Pentagon line. It was close to 8:30am. I was approached by two security officers, one on a segway and the other on foot. They told me that I could not get in a car that was waiting because they had closed the slug lines because the designated parking was full. I was not trying to park and neither was the other passenger or the driver. The security officers were writing down license plate numbers too. I sure hope the driver will not suffer from this. This is so totally wrong. Is there something that can be done about this? Is there another lot that can be opened perhaps over by Sam's Club or on the back side of the mall for after 8am sluggers? Is there another pickup point in the shopping center? What can be done about this?

My proposal:
1) Boycott the mall. Encourage the boycott by put fliers on the parked commuter cars stating the poor treatment of the riders and drivers.
2) Move the lines at a certain time (ie 8am) to Potomac Circle (the road that surrounds the parking lot) so we can continue to be dropped off and we have a place to be picked up with out the harassment that we have been getting.
3) Signed petitions given to the PWC council, our representatives locally and nationally, to the Mall and environmental advocates.
4) Contact newspapers and tv to publish what is being done.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue please comment and if anyone organizing the slug lines could please contact me regarding this and what progress is being made if any, I would be happy to help resolve this.

You can contact me by email at rrigney728@aol.com or by my cell phone at (571) 230-9554.

vawebman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vawebman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 9:34pm
I am asking that we pass the word to boycott the mall for the entire day of 7/26/08. We should continue to do this once a month until the policy is changed.
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 10:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by vawebman

I am asking that we pass the word to boycott the mall for the entire day of 7/26/08. We should continue to do this once a month until the policy is changed.

Changed for better or worse? Be careful what you wish for.
fairfaxwatch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairfaxwatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 10:57pm
I don't think the mall is to blame. My suggestion

Contact the County and attend county council meetings to voice opinion. The county planners are allowing the developers to develop the land with no additional commuter lots (not to mention that the streets are too narrow and the feeder streets are inadequate and who ever heard of THREE left turning lanes.... but i have to find another forum for those complaints)

If we are going to petition, we need to petition for the county to establish commuter lots when they approve new developments.

http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040050000940000442

Chairman At-Large
Corey A. Stewart
McCoart Administration Building
1 County Complex Court
Prince William, VA 22192
Phone: 703-792-4640
Fax: 703-792-4637
Aide: 703-792-5626
cstewart@pwcgov.org

Woodbridge District
Frank J. Principi
Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 140
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Phone: 703-792-4646
Fax: 703-792-4993
Aide: 703-792-4647
fprincipi@pwcgov.org

kayslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:18am
Well from my eyes, i think that we ALL have to do our part! citzens, and business owners. i think that the folks at PM should be just as thankful to us as we are to them for allowing us to park there. This is our COMMUNITY after all who else shops there more? US or OUT of TOWNERS!?? with price of gas and food who really is at the mall during the day??? i'll tell u who! NO ONE! except teenagers! besides majority of the commuter cars are gone from the lot NLT 6pm. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?? they are putting up a big fuss because they only committed to a certain ammount of spaces? that is so petty. as the earlier poster stated, it is a double edge sword. one hand we are trying to do our part for the community the environment and our own pockets. And here They are complaining as if we are stealing their business! who cares folks are complaining about traffic at cosco's! THERE IS TRAFFIC EVERYWHERE AROUND HERE THATS WHY WE PARK AT THE MALL! They should be ashamed of themselves! YES i say BOYCOTT their ass! I'll spend my hard earned $$$$ at fair oaks or dulles town center! it's nicer anyway! [?][:(!][?]
Late rider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:37am
quote:
Originally posted by ceejay2

quote:
Originally posted by Late rider
Why do you even bother wasting your time posting in here if you have no business there?[:D]

We are trying to save the slug system at Potomac Mills that worked just fine for many years.
You go ahead and pick up and drop off whatever at Horner Rd.

Thank you

Late Rider, I want to save the slug system too. It's a system I have participated in as both a driver and a rider for 16 years. I make the point that I don't use the Potomac Mills lot to show that I am not personally invested in that one lot. But I AM invested in the system. And calls to boycott the Mall that has granted use of nearly 1,000 parking places is short sighted at best, and counter productive at worst.

There is no agreement with the county for slugs to use those spaces. They are a "donation" from the management company that operates the mall to the community. What do you think you will gain by complaining to the BOCS? The board can't compel Simon Properties to turn over an ever-increasing amount of parking spots to commuters.

Having worked in private industry, I can just about predict what will happen if those here advocating a boycott succeed. The parking lot at Potomac Mills is privately owned. You are threatening their business. If they start to see even the slightest decrease in their business, whether it's from economic downturn or perceived effects from a boycott, they will retaliate by closing the lot to all commuters. And they'll have the perfect excuse to make it seem like it is NOT retaliation. They've already announced expansion plans, right? Where will they be expanding to? Parking lots. It will be the most natural thing in the world for them to close the lot (or drastically slash the amount of spaces allotted to commuters) on the basis that during construction of the expansion, they need all available spaces for mall customers. And no one with a lick of business sense could disagree.

I remember what happened when the owners of the defunct Incredible Universe closed their lot to commuters. Signs went up stating the lot was closed to all parking and towing would commence on Such and Such date. And guess what…towing commenced on Such and Such date. It was private property, and they were within their rights. Simon Properties is within their rights to enforce the guidelines for the commuter parking lot, whether commuters like it or not. I would not be a bit surprised, nor would I blame Simon if they started towing every car that was parked outside the allocated spaces.

I only ask that those who want to place leaflets on cars, advocate a boycott, involve the BOCS, and go to the media, to stop and think. Think past this week, and consider next year. You have a small group who might join a boycott…those who can't fit into "blue lines". No one else will care. The possibility exists to cause great harm to the slug system with very little gain, and the chance to lose much. Perhaps someone could speak to the mall management before rushing headlong into a boycott that might have consequences that you like even less that what is happening now.

Oh and Late Rider? Thanks ever so much for your concern about me wasting my time. That was just so....sweet of you.

You keep on shopping there, that's your choice but we have our choice too. I've already started with my families and friends and told them not to shop there anymore, I have so many, believe me. Either it will make any difference or not.
It wouldn't kill them to give us 350 space more during the day while there are no shoppers anyway.
Don't they want to see their empty mall look like they are full of shoppers for those visitors?
We all know that people don't go shopping as much as they used to anymore. It's all because of the economy caused by those giant CAPITALIST corporations anyway and when something beneficial to the society, environment and etc.. like this work, they just want to kill it because it does not generate profit. I am sorry I meant many of us sluggers go to mall right after work, right...

Bottom line, let's boycott Potomac Mills or until PWC at least propose solutions. [;)]
kayslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:46am
ill drink to that! when are they going to face the fact that no one is in the mall during the day! yes boycott!
Wayne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 1:32pm
As an employee in a store at Potomac Mills as well as a regular shopper at the mall, I am disgusted by the self-serving and whining concerning the enforcement of the commuter parking spaces at Potomac Mills.

They only have to “Contractually” give 275 spaces for commuters to use, yet Mall Management allows 950 spaces to be used. The mall has a contractual obligation to its tenants to have a number of spots available for shoppers. After all, shoppers spend money at the mall where as commuters do not on a daily basis. You drive there, park and then leave your car there for 8 to 10 hrs a day, free of charge, and they are secure due to mall security watching over the entire property.

If you are so upset that the entire parking lot isn’t set aside for commuters, then go talk to mall management and ask and see if they will allow you to pay to have a parking spot. I’m sure they would; after all, the mall’s primary purpose is to make money, not help you save a little on gas cost and be a convenience for you, though by them giving freely an additional 675 spots is more than generous in my opinion.

I’m sure your place of employment wouldn’t allow me to come in and, say, use your restroom facilities, or your break room because I’m tiered and need to sit down for a moment and take a rest, especially if I was going to be there 8 to 10 hrs. Now would they?

Think about it from the mall’s point of view as opposed to only thinking about your own selfish needs and wants.

I personally think the mall should only allow the 275 spots it has a contract/proffer with the county to provide and no more. Or they should charge a reasonable fee, say $1 per day, to park and then they can have 1300 commuters parking a day and would make something off of people like you who want to whine and cry because you can’t have it your way. And legally, the mall can go back to only having 275 spots and there’s nothing you can do, it’s a legal and binding proffer with the county. Would you care to see that happen?

The mall has no legal, moral or ethical obligation to make your life easier because your too cheap to drive a reasonable vehicle (I’ve seen many SUV’s in the lot) or to suck it up and drive to work and pay the cost of fuel. If your main argument is the cost of fuel and food, then elect those who will do something about it and not be salves to the Oil industry. Perhaps you should contact the county government and demand they build several leveled parking garages for commuters to use.

Late rider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 2:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne

As an employee in a store at Potomac Mills ...

You're probably one of the security guys [:D]
aesthetic View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aesthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 2:49pm
If you want to see some action, please sign the petition.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9109
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic