Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's it worth to you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's it worth to you?
    Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 9:29am
Inspired by the trashy cars thread:

Hypothetical situation:

You're at your Slug line where the PRTC bus also picks up.
The next PRTC bus is half an hour away and the slug line is awaiting drivers...

A questionable car shows up.

Maybe it's early, Maybe it's Thursday on a three day weekend... For all you know, the next driver might come at the same time as the PRTC bus.

You now have a choice. Take this car at a savings of half an hour (Plus traffic time) and $4 or wait it out.

Some don't like to cram in the back of a 2door. Some don't like to get dirty. Some don't like religious or political radio or music of a certain genre...

How bad does it have to get before you take the latter option?

Personally, I don't care. I'll ride in the bed of a construction truck, the trunk of a Miata, or grab a skateboard and hold on tight.

Maybe it's my internet addiction or my impatience, but my pet peeve is sitting around either in traffic or in a little shelter doing absolutely nothing in particular. I'm in a hurry to get home or the office (government job) where I can sit around and do nothing in particular.

What about you? When's a free ride not free anymore?
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:46pm
I guess that only if I felt like I wouldn't be safe (ie, driver looked skeevy, car looked about to fall apart, "my gut told me" not to get into that car, etc.) I would not take the ride.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 7:51am
I've always believed in diving in head first so I would hop in (or on) pretty much any vehicle as long as the driver wasn't reeking of liquor.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 8:40am
I guess it depends on what is "questionable" about the car? I have slugged a few years now, and have slugged in all kinds of vehicles. Those 2 doors with the low windows in the back which make you crouch down are the most challenging. But I have readily accepted a ride in them when they are next up in the line. I slug to save time. I have yound children and I want to enjoy their childhood. So time is more important to me than the money, and I almost always jump into what ever car is up. I am not sure how others can tell the driver reeks of alcohol before getting in but I have never had such an experience. But I do tend to watch the road for the first few miles to make sure the driver is awake and careful.

The basic point though is if I have to wait for the next car which arrives at the same time as the next PRTC bus, you can be assured of three things. First, I always prefer to ride in a car rather than a bus. Second, I will arrive at my work location faster in the car than I would in the bus. And third, yes, I didn't pay $4.00 to do so. So even if I waited, I would be better off than the bus. But again, I tend to just take whatever ride is available.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 9:39am
I will not get in a ride that is too small to fit, if the engine is too old and noisy to hear myself think whether I even want to get in, to high off the ground (I had this issue when I was pregnant and big ol' pickups would pull up for me to take), or questionable- Once a work truck with two construction crew looking men pulled up- there was no way I was getting in that ride alone!

I have also passed up rides when men in pick ups and only a bench seat pull up- seriously, I dont need to get THAT up close and personal with a driver oh so early in the morning.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 8:11pm
In several years of riding I never turned down a ride because of the vehicle, the person, the engine, the music, or cleanliness. I rode in big cars adn little cars. I rode with great drivers and occassionally bad. Only one was actually dangerous. I just cinched up the belt adn kept my feet light on the floor (reduces the possibility of tib/fib fractures in frontal impact). Or so I hoped...

I had the fabulous opportunity to test ride in all types of vehicles. I won't buy a PT Cruiser - too much like a can. Won't buy a Mercedes - too much like a house payment. but sure liked the ride when I got it. Had the opportunity to ride doubled over in the back seat of a Mustange (I'm relatively tall - 6'1"). Rode in a Camero rag top with a wild woman driver - top down (car top...), music loud, car fast, talking all the way. I've ridden with all types. They all were in one way exactly the same - I got a free ride and they got to drive fast in the HOV! WOW - what a deal!

I know, I know - there are other consirations. If I were female I would not want to ride with two unknown guys in a truck. Makes sense to me. But beyond safety type concerns all the rest is, in my opinion, minimal. You'll take me to work for free? And all I have to do is sit down and be quiet? Hmmm - let me consider all my concerns...

I just can't seem to get it to be more complicated. Dirty car? I'll brush off. Music not my flavor? I'll meditate. You and your girlfriend want to chat about the love life of your loser friends? I'll try not to laugh. I'm a Chevy guy and you're in a Ford? NOw I'm a Ford guy. Tomorrow maybe I can be a BMW guy, if I get lucky. I just can't come up with the bad here. I'm always taking the ride and not taking the bus. Especially if I were still slugging or busing from PW county. I'd love to ride every day of my life in the back seat of the Camero rag top. The girl and the car were a scream! Beats the bus three ways to Sunday...
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 8:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by dudte

In several years of riding I never turned down a ride because of the vehicle, the person, the engine, the music, or cleanliness. I rode in big cars adn little cars. I rode with great drivers and occassionally bad. Only one was actually dangerous. I just cinched up the belt adn kept my feet light on the floor (reduces the possibility of tib/fib fractures in frontal impact). Or so I hoped...

I had the fabulous opportunity to test ride in all types of vehicles. I won't buy a PT Cruiser - too much like a can. Won't buy a Mercedes - too much like a house payment. but sure liked the ride when I got it. Had the opportunity to ride doubled over in the back seat of a Mustange (I'm relatively tall - 6'1"). Rode in a Camero rag top with a wild woman driver - top down (car top...), music loud, car fast, talking all the way. I've ridden with all types. They all were in one way exactly the same - I got a free ride and they got to drive fast in the HOV! WOW - what a deal!

I know, I know - there are other consirations. If I were female I would not want to ride with two unknown guys in a truck. Makes sense to me. But beyond safety type concerns all the rest is, in my opinion, minimal. You'll take me to work for free? And all I have to do is sit down and be quiet? Hmmm - let me consider all my concerns...

I just can't seem to get it to be more complicated. Dirty car? I'll brush off. Music not my flavor? I'll meditate. You and your girlfriend want to chat about the love life of your loser friends? I'll try not to laugh. I'm a Chevy guy and you're in a Ford? NOw I'm a Ford guy. Tomorrow maybe I can be a BMW guy, if I get lucky. I just can't come up with the bad here. I'm always taking the ride and not taking the bus. Especially if I were still slugging or busing from PW county. I'd love to ride every day of my life in the back seat of the Camero rag top. The girl and the car were a scream! Beats the bus three ways to Sunday...

I second!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 8:12am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Inspired by the trashy cars thread:

How bad does it have to get?

What about you? When's a free ride not free anymore?

In my 8+ years of daily slugging there are very few rides I will pass up. The short list of rejected rides are:
-one car with many small to medium dents and dings; every time I see that car it seems there are a few more dents. After riding with this person a few times, gripping the door handle for dear life and stomping my "imaginary" break pedal. I won't take a chance that the growing number of dents may be the 'tremors' before the big one! I don't want to be in it if it happens, I'll now pass.
-one very nice person with a pickup truck with a rear half-door and "jump-seat" in the back. Tried it once and couldn't stand up straight for a week after. Those seats are glorified shelves, not suitable for children, and obviously not me either. I'll pass.
-the driver with the filthy SUV. Now we're not talking some light dust, or a muddy puddle splash. This person's car is covered inside and out with vintage grime, years of neglect and lack of any concern for appearance or the odor that festers with this kind of neglect. Now if it were just a little dirt and smell, well so what; but this really is world class, award winning, neighbor's dog killing filth, the kind that follows you into your office after the ride. Sorry, I'll pass.

Those aside, I'm up for an adventure!
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 2:27pm
If someone's gonna wreck, then they're gonna wreck...

The crazy driver could just as easily be the next car over or one car ahead...

I just lay back and catch a nap.

There's a reason drunks survive while others die in a car wreck; their body is relaxed. Sober people tense up...

At least if I'm asleep, either I survive or I die and just don't realize it... If I'm not the driver, I can't avoid the wreck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic