Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An irritating trend?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 11:38am
Pele- good for you and your skinny self. (I myself am about 215 post newborn) You cant tell me your comment was 100% in jest. I myself have cringed when a particular particularly large slug has gotten into my car on a few occasions- big enough to not be able to get a seatbelt on.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 8:37am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

Pele- good for you and your skinny self. (I myself am about 215 post newborn) You cant tell me your comment was 100% in jest. I myself have cringed when a particular particularly large slug has gotten into my car on a few occasions- big enough to not be able to get a seatbelt on.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

All slugs who ride in my car are required to wear a seatbelt. But back to the discussion:

Its all at the drivers' option, to take two or three riders, and slug riders should be thankful that the driver participates in the slug system. General rule-of-thumb for slug riders: Don't piss off the drivers!

But experienced slug drivers will know and observe some common sense and courtesy guidelines;
-if there is a line of cars behind you, only pick up two (to allow riders for the other cars),
-in the event of poor weather, pick up as many as your car will hold (while observing the previous guideline),
-don't leave a woman alone (especially at night) waiting for a ride, if you can take another rider, do it!
-if the line is long, consider taking a third slug, but not if there is a line of cars waiting behind you.

In the end, its all up to the driver; and slugs should remember to be courteous and thankful, regardless of the drivers' decision. There may be a situation that slugs in line do not know about, preventing that driver from filling up their car (I know a driver who stops by the slug line proir to picking up his wife at work, she then hops into the front seat).

Happy slugging!
guishermo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guishermo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:52am
I you're irritated by this, why don't you
do justice to the system, and drive yourself,
and three others everyday.

Then you'd feel as if though you are leading
by example wouldn't you?

That would be altruism at it's best, but
until that day, WTF?

If it's HOV-3, then HOV-3 it is, and that is that.

Slugging till HOT
Jlynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 11:14am
I agree with Raymond and the general rules of thumb. It is always the driver's choice. If I drive, I do pick up as many as my vehicle will hold, but I don't mind one bit because I'm usually the one waiting in that line. I actually get really annoyed when standing in line at the Pentagon (Tackett's Mill line) and I hear slugs getting attitude if a driver will only take two. I realize it would benefit the lines (especially at 5:30pm), but I feel like the drivers are doing us a favor and we should be grateful.
sLugLiFe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sLugLiFe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 12:48pm
The best is when they get mad because there is a carseat in the back. Are you serious?? Why?
PickEmUpAndBringEmHome View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickEmUpAndBringEmHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 10:21am
My top ten reasons for only taking two (and I always drive)

- I have my briefcase/laptop/jacket on the seat behind me

- I have a two door car and don't feel like getting unbuckled and out of my car and back in and buckled back up

- I have my seat back as far as it will go and anyone behind me would end up kicking me in the back with their knees

- The time it takes to get three people into the car is greater than two people; same with getting three vs two out

- All things being equal, the heavier the car, the worse the mileage

- The rule is HOV-3 not HOV-4

- Driver's Choice!

- And the number one reason I only take 2 --- because it gives people something else to bitch about!~!

FKA Atlantis.99
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 5:23pm
The number of times I have pulled up to a slug-line and waited and waited and waited... with no slugs to be found... THAT IS AN IRRITATING TREND TOO!!

Try to see it from the driver's perspective if you can. I do not want to take slugs from other potential drivers, nor do I want my slug(s) taken away from me by the drivers in front of me.

I wish there was a way for the math to be done before I get there, and some magical algorithm could tell me whether it was "good" or not to take an extra slug that day. If there was some way to tell, I would listen to such advice.

There is one aspect of slugging that we all have to get used to. It is not reliable, at least as far as time planning. I leave for work on average 45 minutes earlier than I actually need to. Why? Because, some days, I wait 15-20 minutes for slugs. On those days, the slugs have it easy, and get to work fast. On other days, the slugs have to wait 15-20 minutes for cars. On those days, the drivers have it easy.

It's just the nature of such a system. Drivers and sluggers alike get screwed on certain days. We all just have to plan accordingly and get there earlier.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 12:14pm
I understand drivers who have car seats in the back can only take two riders. For those of us who work until 5 or 5:30 pm and cannot change our work hrs, our window of opportunity to catch a ride before 6 pm is smaller than those who get off at 4 or 4:30. I hope drivers who pick up after 5 pm will consider taking 3 riders in their car.
PhillyPhan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillyPhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 1:30pm
Guishermo -

As I indicated in my ORIGINAL message, I DO take the maximum I can fit when I drive - unless there are cars behind me. To quote: 'Myself, when I drive, I've never hesitated to take an extra rider when appropriate...'

So, - WTF - didn't you read my entire post? I believe I do lead by example, Captain Altruism.

To the rest - - thanks to all who have responded - I have found the discussion interesting and informative. I still can't in all honesty say that I completely agree with the 'empty-seat' practice, but I no longer feel compelled to pass judgment. It has helped to hear from both sides, and I think the reasons for both sides are understandable.

quote:
Originally posted by guishermo

I you're irritated by this, why don't you
do justice to the system, and drive yourself,
and three others everyday.

Then you'd feel as if though you are leading
by example wouldn't you?

That would be altruism at it's best, but
until that day, WTF?

If it's HOV-3, then HOV-3 it is, and that is that.

Slugging till HOT

Common Sense Ain't All That Common.
vdix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 9:53am
I never take 3 people in the mornings for one main reason. I drive on 18th street. If the person behind me wants to get off at F street and the person on the right side wants to get off at G street then that doesn't leave me a lot of room to satisify both riders and get aross 3 lanes of traffic. So I stopped taking a 3rd all together especially in the mornings and have no ill will whatsoever to drivers who only take 2 riders considering that I now ride more than I drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic