Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An irritating trend?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillyPhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An irritating trend?
    Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 8:52am
I've been slugging for the better part of 10 years and have noticed a trend recently that I find quite irritating.

Used to be that most drivers had a legitimate reason for taking only two riders - a car seat or some other substantial obstruction in the third seat. However, recently, I have noticed that more and more drivers are accepting only two riders and occupying the third space with little more than their briefcase or a suitjacket.

Now, I understand and appreciate that # of riders is completely at the driver's discretion. I can even see where some drivers might be uncomfortable with a stranger in the front seat - or where taking a third rider might jeopardize a subsuquent driver's ability to get riders (although not really an issue nowadays - at least in the Rolling Valley lines nowadays).

However, I fail to see the added value to the driver of rejecting a third rider - especially now that rider lines seem to be growing by the day. I can't imagine that the third rider causes that much of a decline in mileage. To me, this practice comes across as arrogance - but maybe I'm missing something. Myself, when I drive, I've never hesitated to take an extra rider when appropriate.

I'd very much like to hear general opinion on this issue - but would especially like to hear from the drivers that follow this practice.

Common Sense Ain't All That Common.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 9:14am
Believe it or not- adding an additional rider does effect gas mileage.
I have been in a carpool with two others for four years now. Recently an additional member has joined us. Since picking up that fourth rider, we've noticed gas refills have gone from every 3 1/2 days, to every 2 1/2 days... and no, the commuting route has not changed at all.

You cannot expect all drivers to take a third. I wish slugs would stop grunting like apes every time a driver sais "no" to a third slugger.

I am a driver, slugger, and bus rider. So I've seen the commute from all sides.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 10:37am
quote:
Originally posted by PhillyPhan

I've been slugging for the better part of 10 years and have noticed a trend recently that I find quite irritating.

Used to be that most drivers had a legitimate reason for taking only two riders - a car seat or some other substantial obstruction in the third seat. However, recently, I have noticed that more and more drivers are accepting only two riders and occupying the third space with little more than their briefcase or a suitjacket.

I have been mostly driving these days, and usually I get only 2 people in - like you rightly pointed out, it is the drivers' decision. However, if the line is very long or it rains, I might consider taking a 3rd rider. But having 4 people in the car vs 3 DOES affect gas per mile ratio, and now with the gas price very high, that might be the reason why some drivers take only 2 sluggers. I do not think it is because of arrogance, though.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 11:49am
It is due to gas mileage for me. 10 years ago, gas was what, not even a dollar a gallon? Now it's quadrupled. But, with the exception of those of us who were teenagers 10 years ago, people's salaries are not keeping pace with that kind of inflation.

While riding, I'd gladly give the driver a few bucks to take me as a 3rd. While driving, I'd gladly accept a 3rd who gave me a few bucks. But when drivers are forced to choose "putting food on the table" vs "slugging etiquette", guess which they're gonna pick?
PhillyPhan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillyPhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 2:19pm
Thanks to all who responded. I did not fully realize the actual impact on gas mileage. Makes sense.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 8:23pm
Currently I drive but I was a rider for 5 or 6 years. If the line asks me to take another rider I always do. Occasionally, due to vehicle maintenance or other reasons I drive my wife's car. She is on the road a lot in her business so her trunk is like an extension of her office so I don't go in there - not even just to stow my jacket and briefcase. I put it in the back seat. So I don't think it's fair to condemn a driver because he or she has their personal items occupying an area that someone else feels entitled to occupy.

Both my and my wife's trunks have also been stuffed with Christmas presents or other items on occasion, too. Sorry, but I will determine where I place my personal items in my car - it's my call and any input about my decision is presumptuous and unwelcome.
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 10:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

Currently I drive but I was a rider for 5 or 6 years. If the line asks me to take another rider I always do. Occasionally, due to vehicle maintenance or other reasons I drive my wife's car. She is on the road a lot in her business so her trunk is like an extension of her office so I don't go in there - not even just to stow my jacket and briefcase. I put it in the back seat. So I don't think it's fair to condemn a driver because he or she has their personal items occupying an area that someone else feels entitled to occupy.

Both my and my wife's trunks have also been stuffed with Christmas presents or other items on occasion, too. Sorry, but I will determine where I place my personal items in my car - it's my call and any input about my decision is presumptuous and unwelcome.

As many of you have seen, I am squarely in the "Driver's Rights" category. The driver makes the decision as to how many there are in the vehicle.

And, by the way, if that person would have presumptively jumped in my car uninvited, the slug line pick-up would stop right there--as would my car's engine--until the uninvited slug extricated himself from my vehicle. Constipating the slug pick up has a decidedly detrimental effect on the public perception of the trespassing slug (possible blanket party [}:)])--an possibly even the driver, but the other slugs know what he did...and know he should not be rewarded.

Be a nice slug, or the driver may not pick up from your site any longer.
Honda_Lady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honda_Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 11:22pm
I have to agree. I pick up slugs every day and there is NO difference
in gas mileage! People are just being picky.

quote:
Originally posted by PhillyPhan

Now, I understand and appreciate that # of riders is completely at the driver's discretion. I can even see where some drivers might be uncomfortable with a stranger in the front seat - or where taking a third rider might jeopardize a subsuquent driver's ability to get riders (although not really an issue nowadays - at least in the Rolling Valley lines nowadays).

However, I fail to see the added value to the driver of rejecting a third rider - especially now that rider lines seem to be growing by the day. I can't imagine that the third rider causes that much of a decline in mileage. To me, this practice comes across as arrogance - but maybe I'm missing something. Myself, when I drive, I've never hesitated to take an extra rider when appropriate.

I'd very much like to hear general opinion on this issue - but would especially like to hear from the drivers that follow this practice.

HondaLover
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 8:31pm
It is a pretty simple trade - I drive, I need 2 to ride, we all get a quick ride in/out. Any more than that is beyond the base agreement. I'm not usually a grumpy driver but I'm more than OK w/ sticking to the basic trade off. I always appreciated (as a rider) the occassional driver who woudl take 3. But I also always recognized it as above/beyond. Not required, not expected. I need 2 to make warrant my offering a ride. The other spot is my discretion - jacket, briefcase, empty space. Grunt, complain, fuss - and then 2 get in and let's go. I'd suggest the thin skinned reconsider this fuss before making it more. Let this one drop - it is not worth the agitation to a well oiled machine.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 7:17am
For those who are new and didn't know this bit of HOV history:
Prior to a date in the late 1980's or early 1990's, the HOV restriction on I-95/395 was HOV-4.
It was changed to HOV-3 due to popular demand -- and there was a study in the mid-1990's to change it to HOV-2 (to make it the same as Virginia's other HOV lanes on I-66, Dulles Toll Rd, and I-64/264).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic