Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do we reintroduce the rules of slugging?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do we reintroduce the rules of slugging?
    Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 4:23pm
With the influx of folks slugging, we need to come up with a way to re-introduce the rules to everyone. I cannot BELIEVE how many people smoke right before they get into someone's car, or talk on their cell phone all the way into the city, or ask to be dropped of at a different location at the last minute!

The cell phone usage is the worst. At least one person did ask if I minded (I said I did, and she did not protest).

What's a driver (and occassional slugger who would NEVER talk on the phone) to do?
koshie02 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 4:40pm
Would flyers with the rules listed on the website help?!?
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 4:48pm
I sometimes bring up the fact that this website exists while I'm waiting in line. People are always surprised that it exists. I'll say something like "Hey did you see the topic about.... on slug-lines.com?"

CJ
Honda_Lady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honda_Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 11:27pm
Yes, it would be nice to post flyers are slug sites. My only complaints are slugs who smoke right before they get into your car, and the few slugs who DON't SHOWER in the morning! Other than that, I LOVE MY SLUGS and appreciate them!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by koshie02

With the influx of folks slugging, we need to come up with a way to re-introduce the rules to everyone. I cannot BELIEVE how many people smoke right before they get into someone's car, or talk on their cell phone all the way into the city, or ask to be dropped of at a different location at the last minute!

The cell phone usage is the worst. At least one person did ask if I minded (I said I did, and she did not protest).

What's a driver (and occassional slugger who would NEVER talk on the phone) to do?

HondaLover
SlugAtHorner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugAtHorner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:24am
We need to additionally recollect the intent of these “rules”. The aspiration of these “basic guidelines” was to “head off” as much difficulty as possible; to think ahead of time what habits might vex drivers and riders. Some don’t wish to ride 30 minutes in a car with someone talking on the cell phone the entire way. Others don’t care. If I finish smoking (I don’t smoke) as I get picked up, how might this affect others? If I desire to be dropped off in a different place that’s “on the way”, how will the driver react if I notify them late in the trip? The goal here being communication; clear and early communication. Each person needs to be thinking of how what they do might affect fellow riders. We need to be objective about our habits. If we have trouble with being objective, there are the basic guidelines to help.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 8:55am
Change the topic to, "How should we reintroduce manners to public society?"

I was at the bank the other day and the lady in front of me was on her cell phone. The teller called "Next in line" and she went up to the teller and just stood there, yammering away, not doing anything conducive to the business at hand.

The teller was speechless.

Cell phones should be used in public for emergency communication only.

I have been on the cellphone twice while slugging, apologizing when I got off the phone. The calls both started long before I got in the car.
One was a College Financial aid mixup causing an $1800 tuition payment to default and the other was my HMO mixing up my prescription benefits on Asthma medication causing an emergency room visit the previous day... I'd say both qualify for emergency situations.

For anything else, wait until you're at home or in the office.
Jlynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 4:31pm
I've been noticing the cell phone trend as well. I think it is rude, and if your phone rings while you are in someone else's car, ask if they mind, take the call, make it quick, and hang up. I can always see the look of frustration in a driver's eyes when this goes on.
abbycadabby08 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbycadabby08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 11:56pm
When it comes to my cell phone, I think of it as if I were in a meeting at work. It's on vibrate so I can be aware of an incoming call, but unless it's a number I know that would be emergent in nature (kid's daycare, for example) it can wait until I am out of the car. (Plus the ride is the only half hour I get to myself during the day, why bother ruining it by yapping on the phone?) It's like the other respondent said, basic courtesy must prevail. No one would dare reach over and change a driver's radio station ... or light up a cig mid-ride. Slugging veterans should let the offenders know what is expected of each other before it becomes so much of a problem that people become p*ssy with each other.
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:48am
quote:
Originally posted by abbycadabby08

Slugging veterans should let the offenders know what is expected of each other before it becomes so much of a problem that people become p*ssy with each other.

While getting a ride the other day, I let a guy in the back know about this site and the "rules" section. His cell phone went off and the driver about jumped through the windshield--she wanted that thing off immediately.
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 10:06am
My front seat rider last week asked when her phone vibrated. I found that polite, appropriate. As a driver I'm very tolerant of the quick "I'm in, be there in 20 minutes" type of calls. Also the $$, family, etc time sensitive calls. As a new rider years ago I rec'd a call from my real estate agent saying my house was set to close and how was I going to sign? House in Kansas, me in DC? I was very appreciative of the grace of the driver. I asked first, knowing from the caller ID that this was a critical call for me.

Beyond these two categories I get a bit unhappy with calls that are clearly gossip,arguements, and other non-essentials. I always treated my presence in someone elses car like I was a guest in their house. I appreciate the rules that suggest that is the polite manner to behave. It is not a cab...

Most riders in my experience abide by the fairly simple "be nice, be polite" rules. The rider last week was apologetic, humble, and quick. In hearing her side of the call I could tell she was making her arrangements to be picked up on her arrival and trying very hard to hurry the conversation. I turned the music down to ensure she could hear. I wanted to tell her "relax, take your time - we are all friends here for the next 30 minutes. You need a ride home from the P&R" That is how guests and hosts behave, in civilized society...right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic