Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug behaviour/asking them to stop or get out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 1:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

Oh that's brilliant sluggiepants... go ahead and alienate more drivers when gas is still $3.80/gallon. What lot to you slug from? I'll make sure never to pick you up if you have that much a problem with me and my screen name.

And yes, I would prefer to have a driver whose screenname on a random message board hints at caffeination, than a rider whose clothes, hair, etc are carrying carcinogens into my car.

Sorry you are upset and embarassed by your inability to prove your rant about secondhand "smoke".

There was a recent study that linked cell phones to cancer. Will you ban those from your car also?

Are you saying that too much caffine is a good thing?

And which slugs/drivers have I chased away because of my posts? Some of the comments here are just ridiculous.

May I suggest you getting some help to deal with your anger management issues? An angry driver is never a good thing.
sluggie_pants View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 2:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by Deanwvu

Perfume can smell great, but put too much on...

Many people have severe allergic reactions to certain types of smells.

On my slug days, I do not wear perfume because I don't know if who I may catch a ride with may have an allergy to it. What smells good to me can be a nightmare for someone with an allergy. I also don't carry peanuts in my lunch bag because of the possibility of coming in contact with someone with a severe allergy. I, myself, do not have allergies to perfumes/colognes, peanuts, cigarette smoke, etc. I just try to be as respectful as possible to those I may come in contact with who do.

Yeah, some slugs and drivers are disrespectful. You can't blame the entire system on the idiot-actions of a few.
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 2:48pm
I have asked, twice, for the iPod to be turned down. Both times the request was granted quickly. I've had a couple of smoke laden riders. Not bad enough for me to say anything - but I'm fairly tolerant, even as a driver. Never had anyone make more than a nominal request for AC/heat. I also try to keep track for the comfort of all.

Dean's inquiry seems reasonable. The basic premise is the driver is offering a ride in his/her car. Riders should (and almost always do) behave as guests. My experience is the most unpleasant behavior is here in slug-lines.com not in my car. Ideas, questions, and issues much too often and much too quickly become personalized and pedestrian.

No, sluggie-pants, drivers are not to be banished because they expect riders to abide by the generally (and voluntarily) accepted rules of good behavior. This seems to be an ongoing issue of contention but I'll keep repeating - its voluntary and widely agreeable. The rules are agreeable. We like them and we expect others who voluntarily join this venture to like them too. That's what volunteering is all about. Grunching is about as useful as joining the church and then complaining about their doctrine. You expect all the Baptists to be something else because you don't like it? "I'm here and we should all be Lutherans!" Seems kind of silly and surely destined to leave you really frustrated. People who want to be LUtherans go join other Lutherans. Stop bugging the Baptists(please forgive me Baptists AND Lutherans)

If the rules of slugging are too onerous or offensive then make yourself happy by doing something else. Trying to convince happy and agreeable slugs that the system somehow needs to be revamped will surely lead to frustration. Happy people getting a free ride to work should be unhappy...why was that again? Just accept that we are all pretty agreeable, we like it the way it is, and we want you to join us. But we'll probably be pretty resistive to your suggestions that we need to change our doctrine.

Short answer - get in, be quiet, and enjoy the ride. I'll keep the AC on, you say thanks when you get out.

Now, about the Council of Trent...
sluggie_pants View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 3:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by dudte

If the rules of slugging are too onerous or offensive then make yourself happy by doing something else. Trying to convince happy and agreeable slugs that the system somehow needs to be revamped will surely lead to frustration. Happy people getting a free ride to work should be unhappy...why was that again? Just accept that we are all pretty agreeable, we like it the way it is, and we want you to join us. But we'll probably be pretty resistive to your suggestions that we need to change our doctrine. Now, about the Council of Trent...

What exactly are you talking about? And who are you replying to? I think you all have completely lost your mind. I'm not the one bitching and complaining on this board. Thank goodness most of the slugging community is sane.
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 3:51pm
I think prick pretty much sums it up.

Feel free to drive in the regular lanes. If you have so much to bitch about as far as picking up slugs, why pick them up at all?

Insinuating a driver is unreasonable for expecting the rules of slugging to be adhered to by riders suggests a lack of appreciation for those rules. Further insinuating the solution for the driver is to leave slugging suggests lack of appreciation for slug rules. Two insinuations denigrating the rules of slugging motivated the retort. Expecting adherance to the rules is not the problem. Denigrating Dean's desire for all to adhere to the rules is worth a strong counter. Neither Dean's reasonable expectation nor the support expressed for Dean's reasonable expectation are "losing your mind". They are reiteration of the slug traditions guided by the slug rules. Reasonable. And mostly agreeable.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 4:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluggie_pants

quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

Oh that's brilliant sluggiepants... go ahead and alienate more drivers when gas is still $3.80/gallon. What lot to you slug from? I'll make sure never to pick you up if you have that much a problem with me and my screen name.

And yes, I would prefer to have a driver whose screenname on a random message board hints at caffeination, than a rider whose clothes, hair, etc are carrying carcinogens into my car.

Sorry you are upset and embarassed by your inability to prove your rant about secondhand "smoke".

There was a recent study that linked cell phones to cancer. Will you ban those from your car also?

Are you saying that too much caffine is a good thing?

And which slugs/drivers have I chased away because of my posts? Some of the comments here are just ridiculous.

I never said I was either upset or embarassed. I thought this was common knowledge, but here's proof for my "rant" anyway, in case your head's been too far up your ass to read the news for the last 15 years:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS

By posting that people like OP and myself, who have rules and boundaries for our own personal property, need to stay out of your precious slug lanes, YES, you are alienating drivers.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 2:10am
Really, you drivers who post on here are a bunch of whiners. Lets be real, if you can get to your office 20 minutes each way or so earlier than you could get on the main lines, you would pick up 2 bricks to drive HOV. I don't smell but if I did, you would pick up me and save almost an hour each day. That is why the slug system works because us slugs benefit you in some way. So get off the high horse you all have been lately, do your part and do what you would do regardless of the slug benefit, and quit whining.
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 8:56am
See it the way you see it, Mrslug, and enjoy.
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:41am
quote:
Originally posted by CallmeMrSlug

Really, you drivers who post on here are a bunch of whiners. Lets be real, if you can get to your office 20 minutes each way or so earlier than you could get on the main lines, you would pick up 2 bricks to drive HOV. I don't smell but if I did, you would pick up me and save almost an hour each day. That is why the slug system works because us slugs benefit you in some way. So get off the high horse you all have been lately, do your part and do what you would do regardless of the slug benefit, and quit whining.

Obviously you benefited even more from the system slugging all these years. Get off YOUR high horse and pitch in - drive once in a while. Then we will see how your attitude will change.

And no, I will not pick you up the second time if you were too smelly - there are plenty of clean, polite, and friendly slugs who I would gladly give a ride to.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 12:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by CallmeMrSlug

The high horse the drivers have been on lately? That's a good one.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic