Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug behaviour/asking them to stop or get out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug behaviour/asking them to stop or get out
    Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 5:49pm
Anyone ask slugs to get out when they are immediately offensive?

Like, they just got in your car, and the cigarette smell is so strong, immediate, and plain nasty, that you tell them to please exit the vehicle? Anyone done this, or seen a driver do this?

My other pet peeves:

1. Don't ask me to adjust my AC or heater. I had a slug last week who insisted I keep turning the AC up. If you are a slug who is hot all the time, I suggest you do ask politely if the AC is on, and only sit in the front seat. This guy was in my back seat and complaining about the AC!! If you want to travel back there, you better memorize which vehicle models have rear air ducts...

2. Cell phone use/loud MP3 players. Don't do it. Emergencies are one thing, and very obvious when they occur. Otherwise, leave the cell alone, or make it a 20 second call max. The MP3 player/headphone users: Holy crap, do you have any idea what you are doing to your hearing if I can hear that music loud and clear in the driver seat?!?! Stop it!! Put it at a reasonable volume--to save both your hearing and your fellow rider's (and driver's) sanity. I have music I would like to listen to, but I leave the radio on WTOP news. Very benign, informative--something no one minds listening to...

3. Conversations. I am generally a quiet guy. All around. Get in, sit back, enjoy the ride. Feel free to attempt to engage me in conversation. 98% of the time--I AM NOT INTERESTED!! Really, it has nothing to do with you, but I just want to relax as best I can and "enjoy" my drive in. Most riders are the same. Other riders realize immediately that I am not a conversationalist and back off. A few have NO CLUE and keep talking about their kids, their dog, whatever--I DON'T CARE!!

Heh, that's about it. Reading above, particularly #3, I seem like a real prick. I'm actually not. These rules apply anywhere and to anyone. They apply to drivers too. They apply to people you see/pass at the mall, at a restaurant, at the grocery store.

They are very basic "rules" of society.

Sorry this turned into a rant--it's the only one I will have here on slugging/driving politeness I assure you. But, my original question still stands:

Has anyone seen a driver ask a slug to get out as soon as they step into a vehicle? What happenned? On the other side, has anyone stepped into a vehicle only to immediately step out?? For whatever reason--lack of cleanliness, a bad odor, no legroom, etc etc etc??

sluggie_pants View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 8:30am
Yeah, at least you're honest. I think prick pretty much sums it up.

Feel free to drive in the regular lanes. If you have so much to bitch about as far as picking up slugs, why pick them up at all?
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 8:47am
Oh, well, let me clarify. 99% of the days, I have no issues whatsoever.

Just like I am sure that on 99% of the days, the slugs have no issues with the drivers. My "rant" was more about sharing the stories of funny/rude people we may have met while slugging, not a testament to how much I hate slugging, which I certainly don't.

It's a great system.

toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 11:34am
quote:
Originally posted by sluggie_pants

Yeah, at least you're honest. I think prick pretty much sums it up.

How is Dean being a "prick" to ask people to respect him in his own car? Get a grip.

And yes, I would ask a slug to leave the car if they reeked of cigarettes. Secondhand smoke kills, and someone else's inability to control him/herself doesn't supercede my right to avoid getting cancer.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 11:54am
Welcome to the slug community Dean. Most slugs who have commuted this way a long time are appreciative of the system and understand the few basic rules of riding in someone's car, greet them, state their destination and thank the driver when exiting the car. As a driver, you have the right to refuse taking a rider, just as a rider has the right to pass on riding in your car.

I saw a driver refuse to let an obese man get into her car. He was 1st in line to go to Bob's. The driver told him that he was too big for her car. He was upset and waited for another ride.
sluggie_pants View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 12:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

And yes, I would ask a slug to leave the car if they reeked of cigarettes. Secondhand smoke kills, and someone else's inability to control him/herself doesn't supercede my right to avoid getting cancer.

The key here is secondhand "smoke". If someone is not smoking when they get in the car, how exactly are you upping your cancer risks?

I don't care for the smell of smoke either, but then I don't particularly care for people who shower themselves in lousy smelling perfume or cologne.

Should all "smelly" people be kicked out?

Maybe it would just be easier for you and Dean to post a sign on the side of your car that states "no smelly people" and state exactly what smells you find offensive. That way the slugs can do a personal body odor "check" to see if they are qualified to accept a ride with you.

The thing about slugging is that not every ride will be "perfect". There are times (which are usually few and far between) when as a driver, you can't wait to get rid of your slug. And the same holds true as a slug. There will be times when you can't get out of the car fast enough.

If you are easily offended, or have a low tolerance for people who aren't exactly up to your standards, maybe the slug system isn't for you. There is always the regular lanes.

And which is more dangerous...a driver who has had "toomuchcoffee" and suffering from caffine overload (shaking, jumpy, etc.) or a stinky slug?
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 12:39pm
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

The key here is secondhand "smoke". If someone is not smoking when they get in the car, how exactly are you upping your cancer risks?

I don't care for the smell of smoke either, but then I don't particularly care for people who shower themselves in lousy smelling perfume or cologne.

Should all "smelly" people be kicked out?

Maybe it would just be easier for you and Dean to post a sign on the side of your car that states "no smelly people" and state exactly what smells you find offensive. That way the slugs can do a personal body odor "check" to see if they are qualified to accept a ride with you.

The thing about slugging is that not every ride will be "perfect". There are times (which are usually few and far between) when as a driver, you can't wait to get rid of your slug. And the same holds true as a slug. There will be times when you can't get out of the car fast enough.

If you are easily offended, or have a low tolerance for people who aren't exactly up to your standards, maybe the slug system isn't for you. There is always the regular lanes.

And which is more dangerous...a driver who has had "toomuchcoffee" and suffering from caffine overload (shaking, jumpy, etc.) or a stinky slug?

Yes, all smelly people should be kicked out. Any smell, strong enough, is offensive. Perfume can smell great, but put too much on...

A mild cigarette smell is ok too. I don't like it, but it's tolerable, and it usually fades away from my senses within a few minutes.

But when odors are incredibly strong, it lingers for the entire ride, and even AFTER the ride.

I could say the same to the offender, sluggie pants. I think it says more to the OFFENDER (the smelly, loud, annoying person--whether it be driver or slug)--I think THAT person should be getting in their own car and driving alone up the main lanes.

Leave the HOV to drivers AND slugs who are actually decent and unoffending to their fellow human commuters...
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 1:01pm
Oh that's brilliant sluggiepants... go ahead and alienate more drivers when gas is still $3.80/gallon. What lot to you slug from? I'll make sure never to pick you up if you have that much a problem with me and my screen name.

And yes, I would prefer to have a driver whose screenname on a random message board hints at caffeination, than a rider whose clothes, hair, etc are carrying carcinogens into my car.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
sLugLiFe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sLugLiFe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 1:35pm
That's why I always carry my handy post ww2 fall out mask. Works 50% of the time, all the time....
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 1:42pm
quote:

I never said anything about "dangerous." That's very off-topic--start a new topic if you are concerned about safety while slugging/driving slugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic