Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Appeal for change...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsbrkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by lsbrkmn

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I have participated in the slugging and driving to DC since 1996, and I have seen a lot of changes since then. Unfortunately, due to my job relocating to an area in DC where there is no metro stations, I usually drive. But, I am concerned about the lack of compassion slugs have for drivers, especially in these poor economic times.

Because of our poor economy, I have cut down on my driving considerably, making sure my tires are filled properly and keep the weight low in my car. I have heard this saves on gas. This means I only take two riders, unless the weather is very bad, then I will take one more. However, I have gotten some flack about this practice from riders.

I find it disturbing that some people who can afford to buy luxury cars and dress in expensive suits complaining about anything, when someone who can afford much less is driving them for free.
I realize everyone has their own economic challenges, but most are only concerned about only their own issues without regard for the drivers.

I had one man ride in my car and complain that my car was not a good quality brand. He said “What do you expect, it’s only a ---------“, tipping me off that he had a more expensive car. This was confirmed when I dropped him off at the commuter lot and saw him walk to his Mercedes. It bothered me that he could afford to buy that car, but needed to get a free ride from someone like me who struggles to make ends meet.

Another man rode with me and said he could not afford to drive to work everyday because he had a very large truck that used a lot of gas and a motor home. I asked him if he would consider getting rid of those vehicles so he could afford to drive. He said he thought he could get rid of the motor home. My point is that most of us are very pampered and cannot afford things because we are not living within our means. If they changed their living standards, they could afford to drive some days and even donate a couple dollars to the drivers.

To fill you in on my own situation, I have gone through some personal challenges within the last few years that have affected my income and budget. I had to buy two cars within 5 years, because one was a lemon and the other was hit by a hit and run driver and was totaled right outside my house. I became a single parent and was laid off from my higher paying job. I had to find work, so found a job that pays a lot less than my previous job.

Because of this, I have decided to put a small container in my car that is labeled “gas donations”. I never ask anyone for donations. A few compassionate people have dropped in a dollar or two, for which I was very grateful. I realize this is not mandatory.

This morning was the last straw for me, as a driver. I lady got in to my car from a slug line and asked if I could take more than 2 riders. I told her “no”, unless someone can make a gas donation. I told her that the lighter the car, with less riders, the better the gas mileage. She then proceeded to give me a hard time about
mentioning the gas donation. I explained that it was not mandatory, but if I am taking more riders, it would be nice. The argument escalated and she got out of the car. Immediately, I picked up two other riders.

I no longer believe the slug lines are a mutual benefit to all. The slugs benefit much more than the drivers. Slug lines only work in Virginia, because they have been going on since the 1970’s, or so I am told. Folks in Maryland and Washington DC think it is absurd to get in a car with a stranger and that the driver gives slugs a ride for free. The advantage is mostly for the slugs, these days. The driver not only has to pay for the gas, ware and tear on their car, but also the liability if there is ever an accident.

Due to the challenging economy, I think we need to rethink this process. Donations for gas should be encouraged. I know whenever I ride as a slug, I would be happy to give the driver a dollar or two. I imagine that most of the slugs that most object to donating a couple dollars for gas, probably pay more for a cup of coffee in the morning. So, its not that most folks don’t have it. (I make coffee at work to save money.)

I would like to see the slugs and drivers work as a team or a community, not against each other. Currently,there is not enough incentive for me to keep driving in to DC. I am in the process of looking for a van pool or car pool.

lsbrkmn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsbrkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:31pm
A Failing System...

To answer one slugs post - I don't think the system works well anymore, at all. I pick up slugs less than even last year due to various problems I have had.

This system is a failing one and change is needed. Most drivers I speak to do agree with me too. They just go along with it, because no one wants to be the first to change the system. But, once in a while when I do drive, I put a donation can out so maybe some considerate slugs donate.

If this web site posted "donations appreciated" on their home page, many slugs might contribute. That would be nice and very much appreciated by all the drivers. A couple dollars donation is less than a cup of coffee, a bus or the metro.

Another issue I have with the failing system is the drivers liability for unknown riders. I had a situation as a driver a few years ago. I very heavy lady (over 300 lbs.) rode with me for several months as a slugger. She worked in an office close to mine in DC.

After a couple months, I noticed my back wheel was wobbling. I brought the car in to my mechanic. He asked me if I had been transporting heavy equipment in the back seat or trunk. I told him about my regular slugger. He asked if I had driven by any construction sites or pot holes with her in the car. I said yes I thought so, since there are many of both in DC. He said my rear axal had fractured and had to be replaced, due to the constant excessive weight in the back seat.

I told the woman about it and that I could no longer give her a ride. I never accused her of breaking the axal, and could have taken her to court to pay for the damages, but I didn't. It upset me that I was libel for the damages and she got to ride in my car for free for 2 months.

I don't think slugs remember that the drivers have to pay for damages that slugs incur, while in their car.

Also over a period of time, my inside door panels have came loose due to riders slamming the doors shut. I ask them not to do it, but it is sometimes too late. I have to pay for those repairs too.

Both of these problems would have never happened if I did not pick up slugs.

The current system only works for the slugs. Yes, I could take the regular Rt.95 route, or alternative routes, which I have done more lately. I would rather drive alone without damages and rude people, or people who think life is a free ride.

Why do you think more people are slugging and less driving? It is because of the price of gas and the economy. Why not help the drivers out, a little? We could make a change for the better of the entire community - not just to benefit the slugs.
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 3:17pm
>>The current system only works for the slugs.<<

I have to object to this statement and I am primarily a driver. Gas prices are up, the economy is down, so drivers may be feeling the financial pinch more these days. Don't forget that the riders are sacrificing their time to participate in this system. From what I've seen the lines are getting longer & longer = more wait time for the riders.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 5:11pm
lsbrkmn, while I understand your concern and frustration, I can't help but object some of your points. The impact of having an extra rider is so minimal to a car mileage, especially on highways, that this argument is laughable. So is the "fractured axel" story. You car is designed to carry much more than a 300lb woman (yikes!), so unless you car is in a crappy condition - and this includes bad shocks,- multiplied by your bad driving technique, that mastodont lady is not at fault.

And keep in mind, as soon as money is involved, in riders eyes you become responsible for any troubles - see the other topic where someone wants to go after driver's insurance.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 3:14pm
>A Failing Syste<

Absurd!!! Listen, this system is perfect as is and anyone who is so greedy to think that they aren't getting a benefit needs to recount their blessings.

Just as a reminder, and by no means a complete list...

Slugs benefit by saving driving costs, wear and tear, and parking costs. They sacrafice having a car at work, actually getting to their job (working at 4th and B while getting out at 7th and D), and occasionaly risking getting stuck in town when working late.

Drivers get to skip an hour of traffic (AT LEAST, some skip 2) and have their car at work in case of emergency. They sacrafice once in town driving a couple of blocks out of the way to drop people off and the occasional stinky/rude/talkative slugs.

What drivers dont sacrafice, gas milage! Any driver who believes that they would save on gas by traveling at 15 mph in the main lanes vs carrying two people at 65 in the HOV lands has no idea about how the car works.

My two and a half bits.

PS I drive.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 10:44am
Two for free, three for ten dollars.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
Springfield slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Springfield slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 11:52am
When drivers start leaving out tip jars is when I discontinue slugging.
DBL R View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBL R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 9:39pm
When all else fails, go back to basics. Like a friend of mine said....if you aint drivin' then you aint $itchin'. I have been slugging since 2001. Assume a total car load of 3 unless the driver offers up for more. It is his/her car, get in, sit down, and shut up and ride.

Thanks for the drivers and riders.

Riley
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 8:40am
quote:
Originally posted by lsbrkmn

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

...If they changed their living standards, they could afford to drive some days and even donate a couple dollars to the drivers.

...Because of this, I have decided to put a small container in my car that is labeled “gas donations”...

This morning was the last straw for me, as a driver. I lady got in to my car from a slug line and asked if I could take more than 2 riders. I told her “no”, unless someone can make a gas donation.

I no longer believe the slug lines are a mutual benefit to all...The advantage is mostly for the slugs, these days.

Due to the challenging economy, I think we need to rethink this process. Donations for gas should be encouraged.

...Currently,there is not enough incentive for me to keep driving in to DC. I am in the process of looking for a van pool or car pool.

lsbrkmn, thanks for your commentary on my lifestyle. I appreciate you solving my standard of living problems with your advice that I need to scale down my car to make your life easier!?

Its also refreshing to hear someone who obviously has it all figured out about what is fair and beneficial for all other slug drivers and riders! You certainly have some keen insights!

You and 122582 should go ahead and follow their conscience and leave tip jars in your cars. You should also remember to post signs in your windows to alert slug riders of your position on charging fees. The sign should read "NO FREE RIDES," "TAXI," or "I HATE SLUGS!"

Good luck with your vanpool (or your TAXI service)! And good riddance! We slugs don't need your selfish and greedy attitudes. Of course, when you start charging fees for rides, you're not slugging anymore, are you!?

I know slugging is not a perfect system, but it is far better than the fee-based system you suggest. A better suggestion is for slug riders to take their fair turn driving one or two days per week. That's what I do; ride a few days and drive a few days each week and pick up slugs. Share the costs, share the burder, share the love! Now that's what slugging is all about!
logrolls View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logrolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:03pm
It isn't always about the "affordability" of driving.

Hmm, let's see - TIME....PARKING AVAILABILITY....ENVIRONMENT....STRESS OF TRAFFIC

There are a lot of reasons why I sometimes slug. Money has little to do with it.

I can drive a nice car and slug at times, too. Who is anyone to judge one based on the car (s)he drives. That's what's shallow! Slugging is about personal choice - not financial status. Get over yourself and your "tip" jar. Your gas would be the same with or without slugs, but your travel time wouldn't be.

And for the record, I drive just as much as I slug.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic