Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Appeal for change...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUVs4Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 1:45pm
First of all, I want to comment on the original post by Isbrkman. I would venture to guess my driving to slugging percentage is probably 95%+ driving and 5%- slugging. I work in DC and my wife works in Rosslyn (we used to both work in the same building on DC [same government agency], but I got moved to another building in Sept '05 and my wife got moved to Rosslyn [we still work for the same government agency]). We have never entertained the idea of having a "tip" jar. I think I have only had one slug offer payment (she was brand new to slugging and not sure of how it worked). I politely told her that slugging did not work that way. We have two friends in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania that commute to DC and we will line one or both up if we plan to get in before 8 a.m. (my wife is not a morning person). I can count on one hand the number of times we or either of us have ridden with our friends, that is, most of the time we are the drivers. That is our choice. One of our friends has offered to contribute on several occasions because we do drive so much and he benefits. We always decline (though one time he and his wife [now recently deceased] did take us out to dinner one night). From our standpoint, we have always viewed this as we get the benefit of riding in the HOV lanes, getting to work quicker than if we drive the local lanes, not subjected to a Metro/van/bus full of coughing/hacking people (though we have had some slugs do this), and the convenience of having our vehicle at the ready in case of an emergency (no kids, but an 86-year-old mother-in-law living with us). The slug gets a free ride in a relatively clean car (sometimes we forget to check the backseat for a paper or bag, etc. We have other options, Martz National Coach, VRE, or we could slug ourselves. However, as I said, we drive for our convenience. I realize this is not the case for everyone. Some people have no choice but to drive.

When I have slugged, I get in, same hello/good morning, etc. and enjoy the ride. I must say, the few times that I have slugged, my SUVs look like a palace inside compared to some of the stuff I have encountered (briefcases, computer cases, crutches, empty/partially full cups, etc.). I never say anything because I am getting a free ride. I am benefitting here. I never comment about a person's vehicle, at least not verbally. I will think things.

As my user name suggests, I own an SUV, not one, not two, but three. Small, medium, and large. Though the small one, the oldest with the most miles (almost 200k) is for sale, very cheap. When we pull up to a slug line in the medium/mid-size, we will take two slugs, not just one. When we drive the large/full-size, we will take three or four slugs, not just one. In both instances, it is assumed that the numbers are there. If there is only one slug, we take 'em and go. It is our understanding that we are keeping in the spirit of slugging; moving people. Trust me, when you take the extra one, or two, or three, they are very appreciative, especially when it is 25 degrees and windy, or it is 98 degrees and humid. Trust me, any slug riding with us is treated to a well heated vehicle in the winter and a well air-conditioned vehicle in the summer. Please don't take that to me that we want our slugs well done when we get to F'burg/Spotsy in the winter or frozen in the summer. It means we are treating slugs to a comfortable ride. We even offer tissues for those with the sniffles (my wife has allergies and asthma, so we always have tissues in the car).

I am not saying any of this because I think we are better than anyone else. My wife and I both have good jobs, and we have a nice house. Perhaps, we just have a different perspective.

go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 12:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by lsbrkmn

Both of these problems would have never happened if I did not pick up slugs.

I think you have found your own resolution. If it is not working for you, don't do it anymore. As for me, I'm grateful for the rides I get as a slugger and for the slugs I get as a driver.
Jlynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
I told the woman about it and that I could no longer give her a ride. I never accused her of breaking the axal, and could have taken her to court to pay for the damages, but I didn't. It upset me that I was libel for the damages and she got to ride in my car for free for 2 months.

This is so absurd and laughable all rolled into one. You really think you could have TAKEN THIS WOMEN TO COURT when you are the one offering free carpool rides? Wow. You are obviously the kind of person where if someone owes you $20.01, you expect $20.01 as a $20 bill just wouldn't settle your debt.

I agree with everyone else who has suggested you either drive by your lonesome self or try and start a paid car pool. If times are so rough and you need to ask slugs for donations, maybe it is time to switch your roles and become a rider as opposed to a driver. This will save you money each week, but I'm sure you are well aware of this since you like to hand out financial advice to your riders.

Also? I totally empathize with the drivers who deal with crappy ass slugs out there who slam doors, talk on the phone, don't say hello/thank you. etc. However, that being said not all slugs are terrible people. I think I would say there are a few bad apples in the bunch who are obviously experts at being rude, but it certainly is NOT the majority. I am a slug, and ALWAYS make myself aware of everything I do when entering, riding in, and exiting a vehicle.
BurkeBound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurkeBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 7:46pm
This is so easily solved. As a driver make it clear before anyone gets in your car that you want a donation for X amount. If your riders agree to it, fine. If they don't you'll just have to wait around until you find some riders that agree to your terms.

Just be aware! I'll be the driver at the end of the line that says, "If you come with me, you can ride for free."
Uhura38 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:49am
Pay money to slug?

Absolutely not.

The slug's "payment" is the driver getting where he / she is going a whole lot faster.

It's a symbiotic relationship.

Live long and prosper
Uhura38 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:51am
quote:
Originally posted by BurkeBound

This is so easily solved. As a driver make it clear before anyone gets in your car that you want a donation for X amount. If your riders agree to it, fine. If they don't you'll just have to wait around until you find some riders that agree to your terms.

Just be aware! I'll be the driver at the end of the line that says, "If you come with me, you can ride for free."

I hear that - LOL!

And I would bypass the money grubbers to get to your car!

Are you a mom?
Join www.OurmomSpot.net!
Jerry Senfield View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Senfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 10:23am
So why did the car I was in run out of gas on the freeway?

I like getting a free ride from and to work, but how can we help the driver?
Buy he/she cookies? Install an extra gas tank in their vehicle? Free movie passes?

Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 11:50am
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Senfield

So why did the car I was in run out of gas on the freeway?

I like getting a free ride from and to work, but how can we help the driver?
Buy he/she cookies? Install an extra gas tank in their vehicle? Free movie passes?

How many drivers have picked you up and IMMEDIATELY taken that two bucks you gave them and topped off the tank.

Had you given them money, you would've ran out anyway.

Had they gone and got fuel prior to picking you up, or better yet, days before, you would've gotten home regardless if you gave them money or not.

Payment for the ride is not directly related to you getting home or not.

Clearly, that driver ran out of fuel because they were an idiot. There's this thing on most vehicles... It's in the dashboard. You take a look at it from time to time to tell you when to send half your wallet to the Middle East...

There are several gauges which you can use. One being the obvious fuel gauge... Failing that, the odometer. If it's been around three hundred miles since you last filled it up, odds are, it's about time...
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:06pm
Wow ...
If you get only 300 miles on each full tank, your car either has a small gas tank or is getting terrible gas mileage. [:0]
Many cars today can go about 400 to 450 miles on a full tank which typically holds about 16 gallons (That's about 25 to 28 mpg). [:)]
Jerry Senfield View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Senfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 2:49pm
That's right "Pete" he probably would have ran out anyway, but I bet he couldn't trade cookies for gas...unless it was Santa working the pump.
The point is correct, pay attention to the stupid gauges. I can understand sitting in line waiting with the engine running because it's cold out but at least fill up during the day after you finish watch judge judy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic