Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSlugging & HOT lane Wash Post article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drive3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugging & HOT lane Wash Post article
    Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 8:59am
From today's Washington Post, an article on how HOT lanes might impact sluggers: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/09/AR2008110902092_2.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Good thing is that slugs are "in" and hybrids with one person "out".

Now, let's just see what actually happens. :)
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 9:56am
Thanks for posting the article!
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:59am
So I take it these ridiculous HOT lanes are a done deal, and no amount of calling our Congresspeople is going to be able to change anyone's mind?

I guess what with the $3000 speeding tickets not working out, this is the best they could come up with to impoverish the VA taxpayers?

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 4:54pm
The real crime here is what Transurban negotiated with VDOT; if carpools reach 24% of the HOV capacity, VDOT agrees to pay Transurban from a "general fund" to make up the difference in what it cost them in profits for not being able to allow more single cars onto the HOV/Toll Rd.

And where is the VA Legislature going to get the money for this general fund? Increase taxes. Residents yell for having their taxes increased, VA legislature & VDOT will remove carpool exemption so they don't have to pay Transurban, the HOV lane disappears and it becomes a toll road 24/7, so Transurban can make their money.

Cavvie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:33am
Yes, that very fact was illustrated on 20 July 2008 in a Washington Post article saying how HOV 3 will cost the Commonwealth millions more than expected. Here is what I posted the day after the article came out in this forum under the topic ""Surprise" HOT Costs":

"Washington Post had an article on the "unexpected" costs of HOV on the Commonwealth. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/19/AR2008071901651.html

As I have stated all along, HOV will not remain free and once the contract is signed, you will begin to hear this from Richmond. Well, that time has arrived and this article is the first acknowledgement of that by VDOT. Virginia has agreed to pay 70% of the toll for all HOV when their numbers exceed 24% of all traffic. VDOT and Barbara Reese estimated that this amount would not exceed $1 million dollars a year. Now that the contract is signed, VDOT is thinking it will be much higher and therefore a possible drain on the Commonwealth budget. Therefore, our elected idiots in Richmond will now say they don't have the funding for HOV subsidies and will quickly move to cut them and HOV will end. VDOT, Homer Pierce, Barbara Reese are either in the back pocket of Transurban Fluor Daniels or they are so grossly incompetent that they should immediately be fired and possibly investigated. When will Northern Virginians wake up."

Its good to see others are finally catching on to the fact HOV 3 will not remain free. I predict within two years of HOT lanes being implemented, HOV 3 vehicles will pay either a portion or the full toll because Richmond will suddenly not have the necessary funding for HOV 3 in Northern Virginia. Of course, only then will everyone be up in arms and railing against Richmond, but by then it will be too late. HOV 3 getting to use the toll road for free is only a gimmick to ensure the contract gets signed. Once signed and implemented, funding from Richmond will dry up and Transurban will be allowed to charge HOV 3. Get out your wallets commuters, you're fixing to pay to carpool.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 10:31am
Last summer, a few of us helped edit the anti-hot lanes petition. I put flyers on cars and handed out flyers at the slug line to encourage people to go on line to sign it.

While people showed interest at the time, the petition did not generate the number of signatures as the petition on fining reckless drivers did. I told people to contact their delegates to voice their opposition to the proposed addition of a toll road on HOV. After a week of talking/handing out flyers, I gave up. My perception was the riders/drivers wanted someone else to do the work but they would still reap the benefit.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 1:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by Drive3

From today's Washington Post, an article on how HOT lanes might impact sluggers: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/09/AR2008110902092_2.html?hpid=moreheadlines

The hybrid exemption may or may not be "out" any more than slugs will be "in". Turns out that it is NOT part of the contract language either way, according to SecTrans spokeperson.
ybarra View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 4:29pm
Having read the comment about whether HOV 3 will be charged, let me remind you that Virginia law mandates that carpools (HOV3+) and transit have (free)access to the HOT lanes. Variable toll pricing will be used to manage the number of toll-paying customers..in other words those with 1 or 2 folks in a vehicle who wish to enter the lanes. Variable tolls will be used to keep the lanes free flowing. Therefore unlike traditional toll roads with a rate schedule, toll prices on the HOT lanes will be adjusted on real-time traffic conditions including volume and speed of traffic. THe variable toll rate is the tool the HOT lanes will use to manage the traffic levels and ensure consistent, free flowing conditions in the lanes.

In addition, the private oprators are restricted from from tolling HOVs as per the legislation mentioned above. The HOV eligibility requirements is a policy governed by the Commonwealth who remains the owner of the road. The private partners do not have the authority to change that policy.
Cavvie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 8:52am
You completely missed the point. No one here has claimed that the toll operator will change the HOV-3 requirement. We are absolutely concerned about what Richmond will do to us. We know that only the Virginia legislature can change the HOV-3 clause in the contract and that is what worries us. Once our Delegates and Senators in Richmond, who in the past have been EVER so generous with transportation funding for Northern Virginia, discover the true cost of funding HOV-3, it is widely assumed they will kill that funding especially in tight budget times like we are experiencing now. You can continue to feel good about HOV-3 remaining free based on "legislation" from Richmond, but for those of us who commute in Northern Virginia, we know what Richmond is capable of doing to us when it comes to transportation funding. Transportation funds like the gas tax are to be taken from Northern Virginia and spent everywhere but in Northern Virginia and that is what will happen with HOV-3 funds. Funding for "HOV-3 for free" will die upon the first budget shortfall or when someone in Richmond decides they need funding for some pork project somewhere other than Northern Virginia. Bottom line is a current form of mass transit that does not need funding from Richmond will now be totally reliant on funding from Richmond to survive. That fact should scare everyone in Northern Virginia.
dieruff View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 6:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by Drive3

I recall some months ago going to Edison H.S. in Franconia for a "meeting" VDOT held about the silly HOT lanes. VDOT REFUSED to allow the public to comment during the meeting in the auditorium. They claim it was a "meeting," not a "hearing." Can you imagine?!
This HOT lane thing on I-395/I-95 is a ramrod at the utmost by Virginia, the governor, VDOT and all of our legislators. Some pockets, I am sure, are overflowing with money from these companies wanting to build the HOT lanes. I am very concerned about the demise of the slug lines because some drivers say they will stop picking up people when the HOT lanes are up and running. Can you imagine?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic