Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what's up with no slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what's up with no slugs?
    Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 12:54pm
The last few days I've had to drive into work - I'm stopping at PWC lots between 7 - 730 to find a loooong line of drivers and nobody wanting to ride.

What gives? I know gas has dropped dramatically, but is it really so much that people would rather spend 1/2 their lives in the damn car than take HOV?
elisabeth64 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisabeth64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 1:07pm
Remember the good old days when slug lines were long and drivers wanted them to pay to ride? There was all this buzz that the Slug Rules should be revised to incorporate "pay for rides". The slugs held firm, believing that they were offering a valuable service to drivers.

I guess gas got cheap enough that many of those slugs decided to turn back into drivers and are now competing for slugs so they can stay in HOV.

Ah..the worm has turned! Maybe drivers should start offering bonuses to encourage slugs to pick their car. A Starbucks gift card would be nice this time of year.

Got to love "supply and demand".

(And yes, I was and am still a driver 90% of the time)
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 1:18pm
And historically ... slug lines usually are shorter when the weather gets bad (cold, wet, icy, or very hot).
Shorter lines tend to be the result of an "'I want my comfort' thang"!
[;)]
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 4:06pm
I thought most lots were full by 7ish anyway. The 234 lot is more than full by that time. Early bird gets the work (or slug in this case) [:D]

CJ
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 12:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by elisabeth64

Remember the good old days when slug lines were long and drivers wanted them to pay to ride? There was all this buzz that the Slug Rules should be revised to incorporate "pay for rides". The slugs held firm, believing that they were offering a valuable service to drivers.

With all due respect, as someone who was forced from driving to slugging due to $4+ a gallon for gas, I didn't think that was all that unreasonable an idea. I could not afford to drive at those prices, and I was DAMN grateful to those who drove me in. I even tried to slip drivers 2 or 3 bucks at the end of the ride when the gas was that high, figuring mine couldn't be the only household feeling the pinch of Big Oil's greed (not the "norm" of course, but nothing about the economy the past few years has been the norm either.)

Despite the drivers on this board who seemed to appreciate "tips", I sure didn't meet any in real life. All I did was p!ss people off when I thought I was being considerate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic