Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT lanes vs Slugs? Benefit or Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOT lanes vs Slugs? Benefit or Problem?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 11:54am
A lot of people say they'll quit slugging when HOT lanes come into effect.

I fail to see why HOT lanes will harm the slugging system.

Driver has a choice either to pay some unknown amount or pick up slugs and get in for free.

Unless I've missed something, won't this encourage slugging?
Jerry Senfield View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Senfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 3:34pm
HOT lanes are a great idea for slugs. Plus you can always squeeze a few in the trunk opposed to 20 stuffed into a mini van.
ybarra View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybarra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 12:22pm
As I said before, HOT lanes should enhance slugging and being creative folks that we are, we can "sell" our ridership to save the scapers money.
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 12:37pm
I believe one of the reasons is that HOT lanes will add more vehicles to the lanes, adding additional time to the drive. They also haven't answered the question of how they are going to tell if there are 3 or more in the cars, what they are going to do about the choke points at each end of the HOT lanes and if there will be a maximum number of "free" 3 or more cars allowed. I also read that they are only going to be required to maintain a 55mph rate, which goes back to the first reason. Let's not even get into the fact that they are not going to add any more room to the existing HOV lanes, just reline them to fit 3 lanes into the current space. Should I also mention the major delays that will be caused by the aforementioned relining which will probably take a year or more to complete?

I'm already looking for a job closer to Stafford.[8D]
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 2:34pm
Theoretically, with HOT, slugs should have some value 24 hours a day so there should always be a demand, not just the 5.5 hours per day now. If I'm driving I-95 sometime during the day, I'll be looking for slugs to avoid paying the tolls. If I'm slugging, I would hope there are cars wanting me to ride anytime during the day.

That's the easy part. As you can see, there are a whole lot of other issues that will potentially screw up this great system.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 4:19pm
Carpool exemption was removed from CA. Why would anybody think that wouldn't happen here?

2 or 3 yrs ago, someone drafted a anti-hot lane petition for the I-395/I-95 corrider and asked for input. I specifically drafted a clause that stated for the length of the contract (80 yrs), carpools ride free.

I don't care how much Ybarra says carpools will ride free. Unless VDOT inserts that specific language into the contract, there is no guarantee that carpools will ride free. They haven't signed a final contract; the details are still being negotiated. Any provision can have language that states it can be renegotiated after a certain amount of time has passed. There called "amendments" folks. And the HOV exemption ending at 9 am & 6 pm? Won't exist anymore. Toll, 24/7. Any SOVs used to accessing HOV at those times will pay a toll. Bet on it.

If HOV is converted to a toll road 24/7 with no carpool exemption, there will be no incentive for drivers to pick up slugs.

Commuter Connections is going to be busy with people trying to set up carpools to split the toll and garage parking.

We live in a wealthy area. Why do you think in CA the toll roads were nicknamed the "Lexus Lanes?" If people can afford to pay the toll, there is no incentive to pick up slugs on a road that is designated a toll road 24/7.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 12:28am
Are you that naive to think we would be having hearings on it if the deal was not already done? Hearings for VDOT means they talk and we hear them talk. With new stimulus money, VDOT going to make this a priority. It sounds good to them, public project, throw money to a private business. Private business creates jobs. Personally, hot won't affect me. I have an alternative. I'll pay a little more, 40.00 a week, but I will get to work when I need to. But for anyone south of Springfield, this is your worst nightmare come true. Let us see, your home values are lost and now you face an expensive and at least 90 minute commute. And you voted for you local representative because...
jlcnole View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlcnole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 8:37am
ybarra, please don't pretend that you are one of the slugging community...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 9:11am
Love how all these newbies start posting in favor of HOT lanes. I've been slugging for 14 years and have never once, ever, met a slugrider or slugdriver who is not completely opposed to these toll roads.

I strongly suspect that Transurban/Fluor employees post on these sites to give the impression that there is some disagreement in our little community about this issue. Same tactic as the anti-global-warming minority uses. Not surprising Tu/F would do it when you consider the huge money at stake for them.

In honor of tonight's meeting, I'm going to devote some time today to playing some of Spongebob's historic (and histrionic) hits. Like the quote from the local transportation official about limiting HOV access to ensure sufficient revenue for the tolling company.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 8:37am
Oh, I wasn't aware that the car pool exemption was NOT in the contract... I also did not know about California kicking the carpoolers out.

Given this info, I'm now against the HOT lanes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic