Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT lanes vs Slugs? Benefit or Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 2:04pm
The link below should take you to a PDF transcript of testimony Shirley J. Ybarra gave to the House Committee on Government Reform, Subcommittee on Energy Policy, Natural Resources and Regulatory Affairs back in 2004. It paints a pretty good picture of her utopian views on public private partnerships in transportation. I'm not much for big government but I believe that transportation is one area where government should maintain complete control of capital assets and those assets should be democratically available i.e. they should be available for all to use equally not just those who can afford to pay. Great nations are built on great transportation networks that permit unfettered access to all with as few barriers as possible to the flow of traffic. Tolls are not democratic and they establish financial and physical barriers in our transportation system. If we continue to follow the model Ms. Ybarra discusses in her testimony we will soon find ourselves in a nation divided by its private infrastructure and the only commerce that will move effectively and efficiently will be commerce with adequate financial backing. That may sound farfetched on the surface but when you read some of the details of the 95 HOT Lanes contract I think you might agree that the idea is not as paranoid as it first sounds sounds.

www.ncppp.org/councilinstitutes/ybarra_testimony.pdf
VABeachSluggo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VABeachSluggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:29am
OK i see this topic and can give info on it from another perspective...I currently live in the Atlanta area, HOT Lanes are a way of life here now, ecspecially on GA Route 400/US 19 South from Sandy Springs into Buckhead/Atlanta, in my view heres how this works...i never use it but... a driver with less than 3 occupants can pay a toll of $3.00 to drive in the HOV lane, however 3+ occupants is still free, as far as i understand, at least here in Atlanta. Carpooling has actually incrased to somewhere like a 30% increase since the new HOT lane came into effect in August of last year....now mind that GA 400 through Buckhead was already a Toll Road, so you pay $2 to drive on GA 400 regardless and to use the HOT lane without any passengers in an extra dollar, a couple people i work with actually carpool in the HOT lane and just split the $3 everyday. Hope this gives a semi idea of how HOT lanes work somewhere.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:58pm
My last post on this thread was in 2009. Wow, how things have (not) changed.

I gave up on this Lost Cause some years ago because it was obvious that we had lost. We are still losing.

The Randian forces of privatization continue to dominate discussion of government services. Things that you and I rely on to make our country great - from roads and schools, to clean air and water, to parks and beaches - are being handed over to corporations to "manage" on our behalf. Which means they get to wring a personal profit out of public resources. Nice deal if you can get it.

Giving our shared road, that our parents built and paid for (I'm talking I-395 here, in case you're wondering,)to an Australian company to own and manage for the next 70+ years, with guaranteed profits for them and laughably weak protections for you and me, is a right-wing concept that we have to find some way to stop.

But will we? Hell no. Because we are weak and they are strong. And they know it. I remember going to a Fluor/Transurban and VDOT presentation on this and all these fat motherf*ckers from Fluor tried to physically intimidate me and drag me off to a corner to "talk". At the time, we all knew it was over. They'd already won - they just didn't want sad wet Sponges to sob too loudly during their victory parade.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob

I remember going to a Fluor/Transurban and VDOT presentation on this and all these fat motherf*ckers from Fluor tried to physically intimidate me and drag me off to a corner to "talk".

Really?!

I would have liked to have been there... So long as the meeting was not held at a federal building or school.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 12:08pm
Yeah, that was at one of their regular public forums. I've been to three, one at Potomac H.S., one at Woodbridge Jr, and this one, which I can't recall where it was held.

It was disheartening. Maybe I'm blocking the memory.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob

Yeah, that was at one of their regular public forums. I've been to three, one at Potomac H.S., one at Woodbridge Jr, and this one, which I can't recall where it was held.

It was disheartening. Maybe I'm blocking the memory.

The reason I say non federal or school building is that I have a CCW permit.

Can't carry a handgun at a school or federal building.

Maybe they set it up like that for that specific purpose in making sure the attendees are unarmed... Those of us that object to the HOT lanes can be assaulted in the parking lot.
Materij View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Materij Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 3:19am
I think it's just names of one good thing. You can share your car, reducing your expenses as well as air pollution. It doesn't matter whether it's free at all or you compensate expenses partially.

http://greenautobook.com/
popsx2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popsx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 7:22am
These posts about HOT lanes on I-395 are old. Now that the HOT lanes are almost upon us, what are the latest thoughts about the impact on slugging?
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 12:09pm
I don't think anyone will really know what, if any, impact it will have until the lanes have been operating for a few months.

It'll be interesting to see whether slug riders have any success at getting rides outside the current HOV hours. That is, the reversible lanes between the Pentagon and the Turkeycock ramps just south of Duke Street will operate just as they do today, requiring HOV-3 from 3:30 to 6:00 and then open to all traffic after 6:00. South of there, however, the HO/T operation will be in effect 24/7 except while the lanes are closed to reverse the direction. So even after 6:00, it will be in some drivers' best interest to pick up slugs to obtain the toll-free ride, as I think it's reasonable to assume many SOVs who use the reversible lanes after 6:00 PM today will no longer do so such that there will be a real benefit to using the reversible lanes between, say, 6:00 and 7:30 or so. (I wonder how much of a difference that would have made last night. Traffic was horrible.)

Obviously, that's the sort of thing that takes time, and it relies on fragile trust from (a) the riders that drivers will swing by the lines after 6:00 and (b) the drivers that it'll be worth swinging by the lines because there will be riders there.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 1:29pm
I think it's going to change the slugging dynamic that will take some time to adjust itself, as USA mentioned. What it should do is eliminate the pre-6am and pre-3:30pm bottlenecks that happen when all the SOVs try to get on before the HOV rules kick in or the post-9am and post-6pm rush when SOV cars will sit and wait on the ramps for the HOV rules to end.

If those early and late drivers now decide to pick up slugs it should also shorten the early slug lines since those slugs that show up early, before the HOV hours kick in, should now be getting rides instead of having to wait for the HOV window to open.

It could also open up a few more carpool opportunities for those that travel from Stafford to Woodbridge now that there are additional HOT access points.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic