Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT lanes vs Slugs? Benefit or Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valuesleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 1:00am
Bro, you are great, and i know a nice web site please check this

More Exciting Content https://www.mmo7d.com/ Waiting For You.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:27am
mpatoka, You might not be familiar with the history of the limited access lanes. When the lanes went HOV, that was a significant change, but even greater was when the Commonwealth allowed a hybrid exemption to meet HOV requirements during peak commuting hours. The result was hybrids everywhere, as many people were willing to pay the premium for a hybrid then to pick up slugs.

If people were willing to pay $15K more for a car, don't you think they would be willing to pay $5-10/day to not pick up slugs? Remember, the propaganda for the toll lanes is about time savings, and time is NOT saved picking up slugs.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:08am
I was at Giant a few weeks ago; there was someone who was buying an Ez-Pass. He was asked if he wanted a regular or flex. He didn't know the difference so it was explained to him. His response was 'a regular one, I'm not picking anyone up I would rather pay the toll'. That does not bode well for the "express' concept of these lanes. I agree with NoSUV - if they are willing to pay the money for the exemption they are going to do it, which means the Express lanes will be slower than the main lanes. That happened last Friday, the traffic report on the radio advised taking the main lanes because they were moving faster. One can only hope people will eventually decide that they are not willing to pay to be stuck in traffic and ditch the Express lanes. Last night it was 30 minutes to get off the Express lanes and there was a back up getting on at 5:30 this morning. So far I haven't seen much improvement in the travel times. I am afraid this fact could hurt slugging.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 10:16am
So, how did it go this morning? There was a big wreck in the local lanes in Newington that may have prompted some people to pay the toll, but I'm more curious about how many slug drivers had their E-ZPass Flex devices and were prepared for the new regime. WTOP was reporting on the first "regular" commute using the new rules ("regular" denoting that last week's traffic was still very light due to Christmas and New Year's), and the WTOP reporter was at the Horner Road lot interviewing a driver who was picking up slugs but who had no E-ZPass whatsoever, neither the standard device nor the Flex. It wasn't really clear why he didn't have a transponder.

I suspect there are a fair number of drivers who are in that same position who may receive a bill in the mail in a few weeks and who will then try to create an imaginary scandal despite the ample publicity saying you need an E-ZPass. The key is, if you don't have one, GO ONLINE THIS WEEK TO PAY THE TOLL because the fee is a lot less if you pay online before they mail you an invoice.

(I also recall several years ago some members of this forum talked real big about refusing to get E-ZPasses and then using the lanes anyway and refusing to pay the tolls. Dumb idea. WTOP also had a report about a woman whose license was revoked by the DMV. She refused to pay her toll bill, then refused to show up in court to contest it, so the court entered a default judgment against her. Then she refused to pay again. At that point, it's contempt of court. State law required the DMV to suspend her license. Stupid thing to do on her part.)
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 3:16pm
Former slugger here. I'm glad I moved from the state and no longer have to deal with this issue. I am not convinced no matter what toll Fluor sets it will discourage drivers from accessing the HOT lanes. It will be interesting to see how much time is added to the riders commute in the morning and evening.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 3:28pm
I'm normally a rider, but I bought an EZ Pass flex back in November so I'd have it if I needed to drive (or felt like it). Picked up 3 slugs at Rolling Valley around 6:05 and cruised in. I noticed a few solo drivers, but they exited at the 495 or Edsal Rd off ramp.

While I'm opposed to the HOT concept, the extra lanes and new pavement are nice. I can imagine that later in the AM, merging onto the HOT lanes in the Springfield area could be a headache...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 5:51pm
Hey USA, I resemble that remark! Talking big is what we sponges do, ya know. But I'm a law-abiding sponge with a Flex transponder linked directly to my main financial arteries.

No, I never said I'd go on there with malice aforethought, or dare them to do their worst. I do wonder how they are going to know, at night, how many people are in a car with tinted windows, or in a panel van, or whether the couple in that sedan has a wee sponge in a rear-facing carseat. So if you have a second rider, at least, you can probably set the Flex to HOV Only and cruise along, giving the big sponge finger to your Aussie overlord.

(And I am so over their brand of "football.")
Ramblinman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblinman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 1:18pm
I'm confused. If the drivers get paid by using HOT lanes, why do some ask for gas money donations?
lstumpy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lstumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:47pm
No one should be asking for gas donations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic