Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTop Official Rightly Predicting: No Free HOV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Official Rightly Predicting: No Free HOV
    Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 11:37am
"'If you're expecting to get HOV-3 and ride for free, it's not clear that's going to be possible at this stage,' said Ronald F. Kirby, transportation planning director of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments." Washington Post, 4-29-05 Page A01

And almost four years later, it is looking even LESS clear.

If the state has to pay for "excess" HOVs on the toll road, what incentive does the state have to encourage ride-sharing?

Ever wonder why VDOT has not added ANY park-and-ride facilities since the expansion of the 234 lot years ago?
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 8:49am
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob

"'If you're expecting to get HOV-3 and ride for free, it's not clear that's going to be possible at this stage,' said Ronald F. Kirby, transportation planning director of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments." Washington Post, 4-29-05 Page A01

And almost four years later, it is looking even LESS clear.

If the state has to pay for "excess" HOVs on the toll road, what incentive does the state have to encourage ride-sharing?

Ever wonder why VDOT has not added ANY park-and-ride facilities since the expansion of the 234 lot years ago?

So all that blacktop I see near Gambrill, and Backlick is a figment of my imagination?

Please don't get me wrong, I don't condone HOT lanes (I think they are one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time), but there are new p&r facilities.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 11:13am
Those two commuter lots are in Fairfax County along VA 7100 and 7900. I'm guessing that SpongeBob is writing about no new P&R lots or expansion for commuters in the counties further south along I-95 (PW, Stafford, and Spotsy).
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 12:07pm
And SluDge would be right. Also, who provided those lots, the county or the state? The real need is for P&R in Prince William and Stafford where all the growth occurred (as far as the I95 corridor, anyway.)

Lucky you, Scottt; you got some lots. Ask me if I'm surprised that Fairfax got something PWC and Stafford didn't.

BTW, how many spaces were added in that lot? Cause the number of available spaces in PWC actually went down when Potomac Mills exercised its right to limit the number of commuter vehicles on its property.

More to the point, the state will soon have a financial incentive to reduce ridesharing because they will have to reimburse Transurban for lost revenue that results from too many HOV3 on the lanes.

Don't make me laugh by saying that new lots are part of the planning. VDOT promised a major P&R lot SW of the 95/234 intersection back in the 90's on land they later sold to developers.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 7:16am
Sponge,
I'm fairly sure the Backlick and Gambrill P&R lots were part of the Springfield Interchange "Mixing Bowl" project. They were both listed and described on the VDOT website.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 4:06pm
Right, SluDge, that's what I recall, too. Now the question is whether Va. could get any of the stimulus for I95, since they are asking for $190 million of the Fairfax County Connector. Why nothing for I95? Take $190 million and divide it into a subsidy to reduce the tolls over 60 years... about $3 million a year in a subsidy to offset the tolls. Just dreaming...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic