Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOV to HOT Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrb1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV to HOT Lanes
    Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 10:48am
Below is part of an article that appeared in today's Washington Post and perhaps will become an issue in the future. In my opinion, this would not be good for slugging. What are your thoughts?
(To read the full article go to www.washingtonpost.com or B1 of the newspaper)

Va. Willing to Study Toll Lanes' Potential

By Katherine Shaver
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 16, 2003; Page B01

Northern Virginia motorists have moved a step closer to being able to buy their way out of traffic. With a regional endorsement yesterday, Virginia is seeking $1 million in federal money to study whether to allow lone drivers to pay a toll to use free-moving carpool lanes. The lanes would be studied for highways such as Interstate 66 inside the Capital Beltway, parts of Interstate 95 and the Dulles Toll Road.

The idea of high-occupancy toll, or "HOT," lanes has surfaced in the Washington region before, but it has never gotten a thorough look. This would be the first time Northern Virginia has studied it. Maryland planned to consider the idea for Route 50's new carpool lanes, but Gov. Parris N. Glendening (D) killed it in 2001, saying HOT lanes were unfair to lower-income drivers.

The region's Transportation Planning Board endorsed Virginia's application for the federal money yesterday. The vote was purely symbolic, but the fact that public officials even discussed the possibility of charging people for traffic relief represents a stark shift from the tepid political support HOT lanes have had locally.

Even the influential AAA, which loudly criticized the idea just 18 months ago, now supports examining HOT lanes as a way to generate badly needed money. It is one of the few potential traffic solutions on which the AAA, highway officials and environmentalists agree.

Motorists who have an electronic transponder on their vehicles, similar to Virginia's Smart Tag, can enter the carpool lane. A variable message sign tells them the going rate at that time. Tolls can change every five minutes or so, rising as the lanes become more crowded. Motorists are charged the toll in effect when they entered the HOT lane. If the carpool lane starts getting too crowded, highway officials raise the toll, hoping to improve traffic flow. The toll rates in California vary from about 75 cents to about $4 during the morning and evening rush. The tolls are automatically deducted from the transponders. Charging more during peak times encourages people to drive at off-peak times, traffic experts say.

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 11:12am
There are some huge gaps in this plan!! Does this toll affect those who carpool or slug? Are there going to be time consuming toll plazas? Are those that want to travel in the HOV lanes going to be REQUIRED to have a smart tag? How is a smart tag going to know whether or not you have 3 people in your vehicle? Do you just get charged anyway? You're stinkin' right this will affect slugging!!!!! I, for one, would NOT be able to work in the DC area anymore. It would cost me far too much everyday, and I would not want to sit in the proper lanes for hours and hours everyday...THAT'S WHY I SLUG!!!!

And now, I will settle down before I give myself an aneurism.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 11:43am
Its a terrible idea! I feel it would have just the opposie effect as that touted by those who want the $ it MAY generate. Anyway, in effect they are already "HOT" lanes for those violators who happen to get caught. Who do we write too to complain about the idea?
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 11:45am
In addition, I recommend they repeal the law allowing hybrids an dalternative fueled vehicles in the restricted lanes, go back to HOV-4 on the I95/395 corridor, and extend the evening restriction to 6:30pm.
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 1:13pm
We would probably end up with more traffice in the HOV than regular lanes.I think the HOV-4 and extension sounds good. Good for slugging too.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 1:41pm
This reminds me of the study a few years back that was looking at changing the HOV on 95 to HOV-2. It was opposition by slugs and other HOV users that shut that down. The study was completed but no action was ever taken thankfully. That would have messed us up too.

I had read an article only about a week ago that was talking about this, but the jist of that story was that they were considering using HOT to finance new lanes, such as on the beltway. There is no mention of that in the current article. -- just talking about current HOV lanes.

We should write our county and state representatives on this as soon as possible.
mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 2:38pm
I agree - the toll idea is terrible. It will just conjest the hov lanes and kill slugging. Bottom line - more cars on the road - less per passenger milage. Time for a letter to Ms. Mcquigg
lrb1977 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrb1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 2:44pm
I'm glad to see that so far we are all in agreement. I will try to stay up-to-date on this issue and if it sounds like they are seriously considering following through, I will organize a write-in campaign to Gov. Warner, Gov. Ehrlich and our respective local Reps. for those interested in participating. Please feel free to share anything you may here down the road. Thanks.
lovetoslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetoslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 3:31pm
CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS????? [:0]

I can't imagine there is anyone who uses the Slugging System (Driver or Slug) who would want this to happen. I think we have to be alert and voice our opinions LOUDLY on this Issue!!!! Doesn't this HOT idea go against the Federal mandates to reduce traffic in Metropolitan Areas? I guess Energy Conservation (and congestion problems) become a non-issue when you've got the Almighty $$$ up against it! Everyone has their price don't they?

To me this is a simple case of poor management (and possibly misappropriated funds), the same as when they raise taxes, I always think that's a laughable concept. Wouldn't it be nice if WE had the power to NOT pay taxes when we ran over our personal budgets...wouldn't that be Fun. "Ooops, can't pay that tax this year, just don't have the funds!" [:D]

Anyway, let's stay alert and make a collaborative effort to squash this idea fast! Personally I don't care what happens with the other HOV lanes, most don't really work well anyway (I-66 HOV is a joke), BUT I-95/395 work Great, so let's not let the politicians screw up a good thing.

Let's get organized and make sure we stop this before it gets started!

Love-to-Slug
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2003 at 8:56pm
Here is the direct link to the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63250-2003Jan15.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic