Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid HOV Exemption Extension?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid HOV Exemption Extension?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 1:35pm
Someone asked in another thread of messages when the current hybrid exemption to use the HOV lanes expires.

The latest appears to be that both houses of the 2009 session of the Virginia Legislature have passed a bill to extend the current hybird exemption to use HOV lanes SOV until mid-2010. (See website http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+sum+HB2476 ). The website shows the House voted 93 "for" and 5 "opposed" on Feb 2nd, and the Senate vote was 36 "for" and 2 "against" on Feb 26th.

The next step in the process is the bill goes to the Governor where he either approves, vetos, or offers amendments.

LOL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 3:20pm
Predictable. Easier to let the toll lanes take care of the exemption.
Jeffrey Bell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffrey Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:38am
The 2011 session is getting ready to vote on house bill #1432 and house bill #1754 to extend the exemption for SOV hybrids with clean special fuel license plates until July 2012. Please email the delegates listed below to request that they vote against this extension. We need to get these single-occupant vehicles OUT of the HOV lanes!

Delegate Thomas "Tag" Greason (Loudon County) (introduced HB 1432): deltgreason@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Kenneth Plum (Reston) (introduced HB 1754): delkplum@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn (Springfield):delefiller-corn@house.virginia.gov
Zum View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:39am
Jeff Frederick is the delegate in Woodbridge.

ZumZum
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:43am
Here's the response I got from Dave Albo:

"Thank you for writing in opposition to an extension of the HOV Clean Fuel Plate Exemption. Del. Thomas Greason has introduced HB 1432, which is officially summarized:

HOV lanes; use by vehicle with clean special fuel license plates. Extends until July 1, 2012, the sunset on use of HOV lanes by clean special fuel vehicles, regardless of the number of occupants.

This bill is currently awaiting a hearing in the Committee on Transportation. Because I do not serve on that committee, I will not be able to affect the bill’s progress unless it reaches the floor of the House of Delegates. However, if it does so, you may be sure that I will take your views into consideration. If you would like to track the progress of HB 1432, or any other bill, you may do so through my website, www.davealbo.com. Just click “Track Legislation” and type in the bill number.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to write. I always enjoy hearing from my constituents, so if you have any more comments, questions, or concerns, I encourage you to contact me again."
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:22am
Over the years I've emailed Dave Albo about opposing the exemption and have gotten the same non-committal response. Corey Stewart has been an advocate for the slug system. Albo; not so much.

The VA legislature will not drop the hybrid exemption until the HOT lanes are built on 395. Because SOVs will buy their way onto the HOT lanes, the hybrid exemption will be difficult to justify if SOVs are paying and hybrid drivers are not. The HOT lanes will not be moving at 65 MPH (Flour/Transurban has already admitted they will not be able to maintain the speed limit on HOV with the influx of SOV drivers). Hybrid drivers will, however, have the same option as other drivers - have 3 people in their car and they will not be charged the toll.

smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 6:06pm
Found the voting history for last years bill that extended it to 2011.

ALBO voted for the extension!

HB 214 HOV lanes; extends date for use by vehicle with clean special fuel license plates.

floor: 01/26/10 House: VOTE: --- PASSAGE (78-Y 17-N)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAS--Abbitt, Albo, Alexander, Armstrong, Athey, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Brink, Bulova, Byron, Carrico, Cleaveland, Cline, Comstock, Cosgrove, Cox, J.A., Cox, M.K., Crockett-Stark, Dance, Ebbin, Edmunds, Englin, Greason, Griffith, Herring, Hope, Howell, A.T., Hugo, Iaquinto, Ingram, James, Janis, Johnson, Jones, Keam, Kilgore, Knight, Landes, LeMunyon, Lewis, Lohr, Loupassi, Marshall, D.W., Marshall, R.G., Massie, May, McClellan, Merricks, Miller, J.H., Miller, P.J., Morefield, Morgan, Nutter, O'Bannon, Oder, Orrock, Peace, Phillips, Plum, Pogge, Pollard, Putney, Rust, Scott, E.T., Scott, J.M., Sherwood, Shuler, Sickles, Stolle, Surovell, Tata, Toscano, Tyler, Ward, Ware, O., Ware, R.L., Watts, Wright--78.

NAYS--BaCote, Barlow, Carr, Cole, Garrett, Gear, Gilbert, Joannou, Lingamfelter, McQuinn, Morrissey, Nixon, Poindexter, Purkey, Spruill, Villanueva, Mr. Speaker--17.

ABSTENTIONS--0.

NOT VOTING--Abbott, Anderson, Kory, Torian--4.

Delegate Howell, W.J. recorded as nay. Intended to vote yea.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:51am
I've discussed this many times with both my delegate and my state senator. Both have indicated that there is as much chance for the exemption NOT to pass as there is for a sensible and progressive measure to end the HOV exemption and turn the lanes back into what they first were - express lanes for buses only. Even when I point out that getting rid of HOV and only exempting hybrids would lead to a boost in the economy similar to the taxpayer subsidized "cash for clunkers", cleans up the environment by 30%, improves fuel consumption and lessons the demand for foreign oil, and provides a sustainable source of revenue for transportation with the bus fees.

Anyone remember the transportation funding issues of the early 1970s? Seems like turning the express lanes into HOV became Virginia's equivalent to California's Proposition 13 - really good in the short term but a complete mess a few decades later.
HOVME View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:09am
HB 1432 overwhelmingly passed the House by 90 to 8 January 31, 2011. Its companion Senate bill is in Committee with a positive impact statement. Last year the Senate unanimously passed the hybrid exemption by 40 to 0. Odds seem quite high the exemption will be extended through June 30, 2012.

HOVME
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 11:17am
The sad part is this doesn't help the system it hurts the system. We need to remove the exemption.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic