Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoking (Recovered)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking (Recovered)
    Posted: 04 Mar 2003 at 5:56am
(Recovered from corrupted database - Admin)

FYI, yesterday I happened to catch a ride from 14th & G with a driver who smokes. He did not tell us this upon getting into his car. Fortunately, when I noticed we were only at the end of the block at the stoplight. I politely asked him if he planned to smoke the whole way home. He stated that he did. I told him that I would have to get out then. He told me, "fine, get out." So, I did. I did not get the details on his car - when I see him again, I'll update the info. He is a white man with a shaved head. This may seem trivial to most, but for those of us who are allergic to smoke, it is awful. I think that he should politely inform riders of his intention to smoke prior to their getting into his car. If he is not going to obey the "slug rules" and he is benefitting from the slugging system, he should at least inform riders first. What do you all think?

waterelf

16 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 : 10:33:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you that the driver should have informed you of his intention to smoke before you accepted a ride. For some people, that would be no problem; however, cigarette smoke makes me nauseous. I am also unable to travel in a vehicle where people have recently smoked. If I notice the car smells of smoke as I enter, I politely explain that I am unable to ride with them due to my allergies to cigarette smoke. I had to do just that again this week. Believe me, they would rather I refuse a ride than have me becoming sick in their car.

tdar20
Average Member

44 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 : 10:49:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear that!! This is the first time that I have seen something like this. I hope he runs out of riders very soon!

gg
Senior Member Member

55 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 : 11:14:03

You are absolutely correct! That driver is a real bone head and you should post details so that no one rides with him. I don't have too much of a problem with cars that smell of smoke but I'm amazed at how many cars have these off smells that make me nauseous but I've been able to tolerate it.

gg

Susan Buchanan

19 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 : 12:10:12

Thanks for your feedback...I'm happy to know I wasn't simply being unreasonable. (I tend to get on a soapbox concerning smoking around nonsmokers!)

Arbo
Advanced Member

103 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 : 13:00:27

Per Slugging Ettiquete (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), neither the driver nor riders should smoke. Many smokers do not realize how severly their cigarette smoke can effect those that are allergic to it.

wdossel

18 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 : 16:34:09

quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]Per Slugging Ettiquete (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), neither the driver nor riders should smoke. Many smokers do not realize how severly their cigarette smoke can effect those that are allergic to it.

... and even for those of us not allergic to smoke, we don't relish the prospect of spending the rest of the day smelling like an ashtray from the smoke settling in our clothes.
- Will

artplyn
Average Member

43 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2003 : 10:32:29

amen!
It's not an issue of allergies...it's an issue of being rude...
I hope his ability to get riders 'goes up in smoke'...

mycroftt
Senior Member Member

58 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2003 : 08:08:11

I'm a former smoker but being around someone who is smoking, even in a car, doesn't bother me, but I agree that Susan's expectation of a smoke-free ride is absolutely resonable and is the standard in today's society. I don't have any problem with the driver wanting to smoke as he drives home, but it is his obligation to make that clear before anyone gets in his car. He should announce the fact that it is a smoking ride the same way a destination is announced.

Mike

angelayoung520@hotmail.co
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 14:25:22

Usually the word spreads quickly about someone with poor slugging etiquette, so he will either stop smoking during the commute or stop slugging altogether.

AngelaYoung

Arbo
Advanced Member

103 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 16:05:52

In this case it was the DRIVER that was smoking, not the slug. In these cases we slugs need to let each other know about what the drivers' are like.

tlschau
Average Member

47 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 10:27:46

Please use the "do not ride with list" once more information about this driver is available.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=312

DC_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2003 at 11:30am
Well, I am a smoker and would never smoke with a slug or someone else in the car unless they, too, were a smoker. I don't like to smell smoke when I am not myself smoking...so why would anyone else.
Tonia Evans View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonia Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2003 at 1:34pm
I too am a smoker and when I drive I make sure that my last cigeratte in the morning before I pick up riders is at least 10-15 minutes (with the window down if weather permitting if not at least a healthy crack) away. Some people are just inconsiderate....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic