Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sluggers Changing Destination (Recovered)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sluggers Changing Destination (Recovered)
    Posted: 04 Mar 2003 at 5:58am
(Recovered from corrupted database. Admin)

Hi, I am fairly new to the slugging scene as a driver. My destination in the am when I pick up slugs is 14th and Penn which I clearly announce and everyone seems agreeable to when I head out from the commuter lot. However, I have been having individuals say to me the minute I get over the 14th street bridge. I need to get out at the Agriculture building or let me out over there and it is clearly not the destination I indicated initially. I have been obliging to these individuals up to this point because I am not certain how to handle this? I am frustrated- any ideas? Is this a common occurrence? All input is greatly appreciated.

Susan Buchanan

19 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 08:42:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is clearly against the slug rules and etiquette!@ Please read about it on the website. I would post information about these drivers and their vehicles so that they have a hard time finding riders in the future - maybe then they'll abide by the rules and be more considerate!

Thanks,
Susan

mycroftt
Senior Member Member

58 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 09:15:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think either the slugs or the drivers should start customizing the dropoff point after the slugs enter the vehicle. If the dropoff point is other than the usual location, that should be agreed upon before the ride starts.

Mike

tondalea
Average Member

42 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 09:57:32

If I understand correctly then you are the driver. When a driver says to me 14th and I or whatever. I automatically assume that they wouldnt mind stopping at any other street before I. For instance, I go to 14 and Penn and I would take this ride assuming that they wouldnt mind stopping at Penn. I always thought that saying your exact destination was to let the riders know exactly how far you are going. Maybe you should say you are going to 14 and Penn and not making any other stops in between and then folks would understand. It would also limit your riders. If I worked at the agriculture building, there is no way that I would go all the way up to Pennsylvania and then have to walk back. It just doesnt make sense. That's just my view.

tondalea
Average Member

42 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 10:01:36

This is what's posted under rules:

No "curbside" service. There are certain understood destinations. Horner Road means the parking area at Horner Road, not the gas station just down Prince William Parkway or around the block to were you live. If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object.

So you can understand why it may be a littel confusing.

mycroftt
Senior Member Member

58 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 11:42:44

quote:
Originally posted by tondalea
[br]If I understand correctly then you are the driver. When a driver says to me 14th and I or whatever. I automatically assume that they wouldnt mind stopping at any other street before I...

tondalea: Clearly, your assumption is incorrect as Slugging29 has stated that this practice is disconcerting to a driver. Probably the best bet is to just ask the driver, before you hop in, if it's OK that you are dropped off a couple of blocks short of the final destination. If everybody understands where the dropoffs will be before the ride starts there shouldn't be any tension.

Mike

Edited by - mycroftt on 13 Feb 2003 13:03:39

Geezehead
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 13:23:18

As a long time driver my technique is to let everyone know where I am heading and then ask them where they would like to be dropped off. If it is too far out of my way I recommend a different solution. This way we come to agreement (early) and more than not it works out better for all involved. Also relieves the stress of wondering what will happen next for both the driver and the passengers.

tondalea
Average Member

42 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 : 15:23:03

Okay, maybe I was a bit confused earlier. Majority of the time I get a ride with people who just state that they are going to 14th street and don't name a particular interesection and that's why I am used to doing things the way that I do. Once in a blue moon, I do get someone that does state a particular intersection and most of the time it just happens to be Penn, which is my stop or something like Independece which I dont mind walking from. I still dont think that all drivers feel the same way about this. I used to drive when I worked on 17th and I and always said 18th and I, so that riders would know that I'm not going any futher than I street, but would then ask where they wanted to be dropped off and didnt mind dropping them off at any intersection before I street. I understand how you feel Slugging29, but not everyone would feel the same way. I think the best thing to do is to stress that you are going to 14th and Penn and not making any stops in between and then folks will know not to even ask.

artplyn
Average Member

43 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 : 09:00:23

If a 'premature' stop request doesn't cause the driver to go out of the way, I see nothing wrong. If the driver will not make ANY safe stop along the way, it probably should be announced that way at pickup so the slug can choose whether to accept the ride. This 'stopping' prcatice is especially common along the 14th corridor.

gg
Senior Member Member

55 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 : 15:13:17

If a driver says 14th and Penn, then that IS THE DESTINATION. It should be assumed that the driver does "not make any stops in between". The driver does not have to say that he is not making any stop in between. It is the obligation of the slug to ask if the driver does not mind dropping off at whatever in between stop and do this BEFORE entering the car. Slugs, don't ask for special requests after you get in the car, you know who you are! You threaten to screw up the system with your selfish needs.

gg

Edited by - gg on 14 Feb 2003 15:15:23

tlschau
Average Member

47 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 10:22:16

As a rider I must say that I consider myself fortunate to never having ridden with some of the posters responding to this topic. I slug out of "Old Hechingers" for 4 years and I have NEVER had anyone complain about having to drop me off at a point before that of the actual destination. Actually, most of the time the driver is the one who asks, "Where are you going?" after I get into the car because they don't mind stopping. So regardless of the "written rules", this is the common practice. The bottom line is that it works. Don't get me wrong, a driver has the right to call out whatever destination they want and place as many restrictions as they would like. In fact, I think that gg's idea would be a good one to implement if the system didn't currently work (if more drivers start complaining about having to stop earlier then sluggers should make it a point to ask if the driver would mind). But the fact is that the system works fine the way it is (at least from my commuter lot). Basically, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Susan Buchanan

19 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 10:53:22

FYI, I rode with a driver today who decided to change the order of drop-offs at the last minute. Upon getting into his car I asked him to take me to 14th & G. He agreed and we waited for another rider. After claiming he wouldn't take someone to L'Enfant and refusing a couple of riders, he changed his mind and took a rider for L'Enfant. He told this rider he would drop me off first at 14th and then take him to L'Enfant. However, upon getting to the bridge and seeing the taffic, the driver suddenly changed his mind and said he was going to L'Enfant first so he wouldn't have to "double back." I think this is extremely rude and against slugging etiquette/rules as he had agreed to drop me off first. Had I known this in advance, I would have caught a ride with one of the many other cars in line this morning. As a result, I was 15 minutes late - unnecessarily and without an apology or my permission. He drives a green Honda Accord and is a middle age white male with salt and paper hair. I heard him say his name on the phone - it's Jim.

Thanks,
Susan

artplyn
Average Member

43 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 13:40:25

It seems to me that on extaordinary driving condition days, a little lattitude should be extended. I'm sure the driver was reacting to road and traffic conditions that could not be predicted. For him to follow itinerary precisely could have made him 45 min. late...would that have been fair?

jemedwards
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 13:55:58

Can you imagine the backup in the sluglines if each person asked the driver, before they got in the car, if the driver would drop them off at a particular destination that's before the driver's final destination?

I've been slugging for almost 7 years and I have always been under the impression that it is OK to request to be dropped off at any stop before the driver's final destination - after you're in the car. I agree that the destination that the driver states is to let the riders know how far s/he is going.

Arbo
Advanced Member

103 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 14:05:30

It seems to me the slugger can ask, but the driver is always free to say "No". Isn't that what freedom's all about? Slug Ettiquite also backs this up, saying the driver only need take you to the established drop off spot.

USA
Senior Member Member

52 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 : 14:06:15

quote:
Originally posted by artplyn
[br]It seems to me that on extaordinary driving condition days, a little lattitude should be extended. I'm sure the driver was reacting to road and traffic conditions that could not be predicted. For him to follow itinerary precisely could have made him 45 min. late...would that have been fair?

By extension, if the 14th Street Bridge is badly snarled and a driver decides to get off at VA-27, go over Memorial Bridge, and then loop down Independence Avenue, I don't think the riders should complain, so long as the driver goes to the agreed-upon drop point. I usually don't carry slugs in the mornings, which makes me free to vary my route (sometimes drastically) based on the traffic; if I were carrying slugs, I would feel free to make some adjustments in the Pentagon/downtown area as needed (in addition to the above, I usually think that 12th Street is a lot faster than 14th Street--I don't think a slug should get bent out of shape if a driver were to decide to go through the tunnel, make a left onto Constitution, and drop people off on the opposite corner of 14th and Constitution).

The bottom line is for all to be reasonable. With very few exceptions, I have found this to be the practice of sluggers and drivers. A lot of 'press time' is devoted to the very few exceptions.

tdar20
Average Member

44 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 07:59:47

It is all about communication and finding a point where both can be happy. Slugs and drivers need to relax a little bit and talk about a point that would be helpful to both of them. After driving for almost an hour dont spring your location on the driver at the last moment. Use the tiome to find a good location for the both of you

PJ

20 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 08:42:34

Slugging 29: When I'm a rider, I always ask if my location is OK if the driver says simply "14th St." or "14th & Penn." In the 10 years that I have been slugging, I have NEVER had anyone say no. It has been my experience that drivers (me included when I drive) do not care whether they drop off before the announced stop as long as it is on the way. It seems to me if you are having such angst about only dropping off at 14th and Penn then YOU need to say something before people get in and avoid all of this hub bub. If you are too shy to say anything to people in person and can only complain by way of this message board, then YOU need to fix it by SIMPLY STATING that you will not drop off before 14th and Penn. What is the big deal! Cheez.

tondalea
Average Member

42 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 12:05:06

I agree with you PJ

Telser

5 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 12:44:38

I also agree 100%.

Megled

9 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 13:05:16

I'd like to also chime in with agreement to PJ's statement and also, tondalea's earlier points - that you limit your riders. As a sometimes driver, I have always considered that the destination that you call out is the end destination and that means that I won't in most cases go past that destination, but have no problem with stopping at points before that destination. If you have to wait for two people getting off at the same stop, especially on 14th Street, you may have a wait. I just want any rider who is getting off no further than my own destination. It certainly is your call not to make the stops, but I believe there are plenty of us who don't consider it a problem in the least. PJ is right. The answer is for you to say something to the riders. I've been driving and slugging for 12 years from various locations and also have never experienced anyone complaining about the scenario that you have described. It is quite a different matter when the location the rider wants is out of the driver's way.

KellyC
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 15:51:53

I wish I had your problems!

quote:
Originally posted by Susan Buchanan
[br]FYI, I rode with a driver today who decided to change the order of drop-offs at the last minute. Upon getting into his car I asked him to take me to 14th & G. He agreed and we waited for another rider. After claiming he wouldn't take someone to L'Enfant and refusing a couple of riders, he changed his mind and took a rider for L'Enfant. He told this rider he would drop me off first at 14th and then take him to L'Enfant. However, upon getting to the bridge and seeing the taffic, the driver suddenly changed his mind and said he was going to L'Enfant first so he wouldn't have to "double back." I think this is extremely rude and against slugging etiquette/rules as he had agreed to drop me off first. Had I known this in advance, I would have caught a ride with one of the many other cars in line this morning. As a result, I was 15 minutes late - unnecessarily and without an apology or my permission. He drives a green Honda Accord and is a middle age white male with salt and paper hair. I heard him say his name on the phone - it's Jim.

Thanks,
Susan

curtisdt

24 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 : 14:33:08

I'm a driver and everyone is right to a certain degree. If you announce it before you get in you're usually OK. When someone wants to get dropped off in a travel lane 200 feet before the intersection I tell them to sit tight. I personally find it to be a PITA to stop 2 times before my destination. Some riders are LAZY WHINERS.

Don

gg
Senior Member Member

55 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 : 14:52:35

PJ,

The big deal is breaking slug etiquette, where the driver is only obligated to take you to the established drop off point, and to quote the written rules, "If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object." Slugging 29 is right to question the behavior of some slugs. Maybe you and others, like Megled, don't really care, but others, like curtisdt "personally find it to be a PITA to stop 2 times before my destination." The written etiquette on this web site is obviously not gospel, but is just common sense and common courtesy.

gg

PJ

20 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 : 15:15:33

I understand what you are saying, but my point was that Slugging 29 is having experiences where he/she is not saying anything and amazingly neither are his/her riders. Common sense would dictate that because Slugging 29 is the one who is upset, he/she should be the one to say something. Not everyone reads the "rules," and that, is not something any one can change or force on someone. Let's be realistic. Some things you can control - so do it. This web site is NOT going to change Slugging 29's "problem" - but Slugging 29 can change it for him/herself, assuming he/she is an adult. This has become such a silly string, I believe I will bow out. Certain situations call for a person acting on his/her own...

quote:
Originally posted by gg
[br]PJ,

The big deal is breaking slug etiquette, where the driver is only obligated to take you to the established drop off point, and to quote the written rules, "If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object." Slugging 29 is right to question the behavior of some slugs. Maybe you and others, like Megled, don't really care, but others, like curtisdt "personally find it to be a PITA to stop 2 times before my destination." The written etiquette on this web site is obviously not gospel, but is just common sense and common courtesy.

gg

Pauwo

5 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 : 15:40:41

I have to agree with PJ. If Slugging 29 stays silent about something so easy to fix by simply and courteously saying that 14th and Penn or whatever his is only stop, then this Slugging 29 person is wayyyyyyy to meek to be participating in the slugging system. Man, talk about creating a problem that can be easily remedied by opening up your mouth.

zandiejack
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 : 16:16:56

During my short experience as a slugger from Old Hechinger's lot(since October), I learned by following the lead of the drivers and the other slugs. Both the drivers and the slugs have shown me that the driver going into the district wants riders with stops anywhere before the "announced" destination. Some drivers want only to pick up riders either going along the 14th st corridor or the 18th st corridor. If a driver says "14th street all the way", then according to slug ettiquette what's the final destination??? So following common sense, the driver is saying "I'll drop anyone off along the 14th st corridor." Don't ask him/her anything about which way he's turning or where he's ultimately going.
In contrast, when returning home, the "announced destination" is the only destination unless the driver is willing to go to 2 different commuter lots. But only commuter lots, not gas stations, daycares, neighborhoods or the KFC.

USA
Senior Member Member

52 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 : 17:05:07

On Wednesday I was driving from the Pentagon to Bob's but there weren't a lot of slugs out for Bob's. I got one rider and we were looking for another when a lady asked if we would go to Daventry. I declined since I live back the other side of Springfield across I-95, but the slug offered to take her from Bob's to Daventry. This was fine with me and I thought it was very nice of him, but for the whole ride she seemed puzzled and kept asking why I wasn't going to Daventry. (In fairness she was old and her English didn't seem too good.) I thought the slug had made it clear that HE was going to take her. That kind of thing can be irritating--once the destination(s) is (are) agreed upon, let it die!

quote:
Originally posted by zandiejack
[br]During my short experience as a slugger from Old Hechinger's lot(since October), I learned by following the lead of the drivers and the other slugs. Both the drivers and the slugs have shown me that the driver going into the district wants riders with stops anywhere before the "announced" destination. Some drivers want only to pick up riders either going along the 14th st corridor or the 18th st corridor. If a driver says "14th street all the way", then according to slug ettiquette what's the final destination??? So following common sense, the driver is saying "I'll drop anyone off along the 14th st corridor." Don't ask him/her anything about which way he's turning or where he's ultimately going.
In contrast, when returning home, the "announced destination" is the only destination unless the driver is willing to go to 2 different commuter lots. But only commuter lots, not gas stations, daycares, neighborhoods or the KFC.

Edited by - USA on 21 Feb 2003 17:05:49

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic