Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtend the HOV time to 7 pm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extend the HOV time to 7 pm
    Posted: 29 Jun 2009 at 9:38pm
To save the earth and to encourage many people to take car pooling, I would like to suggest an hour extension to HOV line in the evening from 3 to 7 pm. As everyone know, there are many people don’t get ride while they usually come after 5:30 pm. The drivers usually decide not to pick up riders during that time, because they think by the time the arrive at the HOV gate; they will be able to drive alone. Therefore, I really suggest extending the HOV time until 7 pm. Thank you and I hope this suggestion will be heard.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 8:58am
This topic came up a few years ago. But mycroft's post on the General Topic section says it all - once the conversion to HOT occurs, you will ALWAYS be able to take the express lanes without fear of getting a ticket. As long as you are willing to either have 2 passengers or to pay the fee, although many are skeptical that the free portion will remain that way. And it's for weekends, weeknights - 7x24.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 11:44am
HOT lanes is not a fix to the problem. It will create more problems for all of us VA tax payers.

A change of time is needed for both the morning and afternoon.
5 am to 10 am North bound
2 pm to 7 pm South bound

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 6:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredMarine

HOT lanes is not a fix to the problem. It will create more problems for all of us VA tax payers.

A change of time is needed for both the morning and afternoon.
5 am to 10 am North bound
2 pm to 7 pm South bound

I agree. HOT will make this particular problem go away not by fixing it but buy substituting another set of problems. This is the gist of my post in the other forum.

In the meantime, I agree that an expansion of the HOV hours is long overdue.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 6:50am
There is an Interstate highway in NoVa with longer HOV hours.
The I-66 HOV-2 lanes outside the beltway have longer evening HOV hours (3PM to 7PM) than I-95/395 (3:30PM to 6 PM).

From the VDOT website:
(I-66) Outside the Beltway
The far-left lane is reserved for HOV-2 eastbound in the morning and westbound in the afternoon.

To: Capital Beltway (I-495)
Days: Monday - Friday

Eastbound: 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
(Also) Eastbound shoulder lane (far-right lane) remains open to all traffic until 11 a.m.
Westbound: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
(Also) Westbound shoulder lane (far-right lane) open to all traffic at 2 p.m. and remains open until 8 p.m.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 4:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

This topic came up a few years ago. But mycroft's post on the General Topic section says it all - once the conversion to HOT occurs, you will ALWAYS be able to take the express lanes without fear of getting a ticket. As long as you are willing to either have 2 passengers or to pay the fee, although many are skeptical that the free portion will remain that way. And it's for weekends, weeknights - 7x24.

Free for HOV3 or HOV2 will last only a short time. Part time legislators saw to that a few years ago.
lakeridgeresident View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeridgeresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 7:55pm
I attended a Prince William County Transportation Board meeting in 2006. Extending the hours was voted on and vetoed because, and I quote, "we want the public to have more reason to choose HOT lanes."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic