Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to slugging and a bit apprehensive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to slugging and a bit apprehensive
    Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 4:34pm
Hello there.

I'm moving to Woodbridge and work near Foggy Bottom. I'm hoping to give slugging a try to save money and such, since I've just bought a house.

I've read quite a bit about the protocol for slugging, but am very nervous of going to the wrong place or not getting picked up for a ride.

I'll be living near Rt. 1 and Rt. 123 and am not sure exactly where would be best to pick up the correct slug line going where I need to be, despite having looked at maps. I admit to being easily confused.

Can anyone give me any pointers?
Woodbridge Mike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 12:02pm
Welcome to the area. If you live on Rt. 1 closer to Prince William Parkway than Gordon Blvd/123, I would head for the Horner Road (Prince William Parkway on the west side of I-95. You would have a lot of choices for rides, if you're willing to hop on the Orange/Blue line for a few stops. If you slug from Horner, the best destination options for you would be: 1) Rosslyn (Rosslyn Metro) 2) 18th St (Farragut West Metro) 3) 14th & New York or 14th & I (McPherson Sq. Metro). I don't know how busy afternoon pick-up lines are, except that 14th and New York's PM line seems to move quickly.

If you live closer to Gordon Blvd./Rt. 123, head for the Old Hechinger's Lot (corner of Old Bridge and Rt. 123). One word of warning, though- cops occasionally patrol the entrance to Hechinger's off Devil's Reach Road, so make sure you use the entrance off Old Bridge to avoid a ticket (either turn up Old Bridge from 123 or take Occoquan Road to Old Bridge and ride the half block down). From Hechinger, you would want a ride to 14th & New York/14th & I or 18th St (to at least G Street). In the afternoon, you might need to take an Omniride bus, since PM rides to Old Hechinger seem much more scarce.

As far as finding the correct line, feel free to ask fellow sluggers. Most of us are quite nice, and remember our first days of slugging (or our current adventures when we try a new location). One tip that I did not know when starting is that you can request to be dropped off before an end destination point when heading downtown in the mornings (for example, most drivers who call out 14th & L will happily let off their passenger at the Reagan Building, 14th & G, etc.). This can expand your ride opportunities.

Finally, make sure you have the appropriate bus schedules as your backup. Some days, there are just no drivers, and you will have to go with plan B.

Please feel free to follow up with questions. Good luck, and happy slugging!

-Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
HMumford View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 1:13pm
Thank you so much for this wealth of information! I really appreciate it.
darkmocha View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 2:06pm
Hello, I just moved to Woodbridge myself and work near Foggy bottom also. I usually slug from Potomac Mills Commuter lot to Pentagon, then metro to Foggy bottom. I have a .47 mile walk to my office but I don't mind because I like the exercise. Horner Road lot may be closer to you for slugging...however there is also a bus that picks up and Horner road that ends at 21st/Virginia Ave.

I'm moving to Woodbridge and work near Foggy Bottom. I'm hoping to give slugging a try to save money and such, since I've just bought a house.

I've read quite a bit about the protocol for slugging, but am very nervous of going to the wrong place or not getting picked up for a ride.

I'll be living near Rt. 1 and Rt. 123 and am not sure exactly where would be best to pick up the correct slug line going where I need to be, despite having looked at maps. I admit to being easily confused.

RLeeThompson View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLeeThompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by darkmocha

Hello, I just moved to Woodbridge myself and work near Foggy bottom also. I usually slug from Potomac Mills Commuter lot to Pentagon, then metro to Foggy bottom. I have a .47 mile walk to my office but I don't mind because I like the exercise. Horner Road lot may be closer to you for slugging...however there is also a bus that picks up and Horner road that ends at 21st/Virginia Ave.

RLeeThompson View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLeeThompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:01pm
Don't know how I added the last quote.

Anyway, I am living in Woodbridge and work across the street from Foggy Bottom and am in search of where to pick up people who want to be dropped off at or near there.

I work at George Washington University Physicians Clinic on I and 22nd street.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic