FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCompromise: Hybrids = HOV-2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SlugsB1tch2Much View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugsB1tch2Much Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compromise: Hybrids = HOV-2
    Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 3:57pm
<3 my hybrid, hate GMHP [:D]
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 11:48am
quote:
Originally posted by TWO

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
Want a transportation solution? Eliminate the carpool exemption in the express lanes. Keep the hybrid exemption. Make slugs choose to either:
- support funding for transportation improvements by taking mass transit
- purchase a hybrid to improve the environment as well as lower the dependence of the nation on foreign oil
- suffer in the regular lanes.

It's a solution we all can live (better) with.

Those are some of the most stupid statements I've read on this site! Sure, eliminate carpools? Only let the two extremes in the express lanes: buses (large capacity) and cars with ONE person in it (minimally utilized). Let's all commute by ourselves in hybrids- now we're talking efficient and saving the environment!

And the other statement - we all buy hybrids to use the HOV lanes? That's already happened and all we see is average speeds decreasing.

NoSUV - I think you got some of your facts incorrect about the history of the HOV lanes. Where is the source of your information? Not that it really matters, but our lawmakers seem to re-interpret the laws and make changes that help their agenda. At this time, they have an agenda to promote "green" vehicles, which weren't a realistic option for the general public 25 years ago. Now they are. Over time and generations, the focus changes - it's even happened to our constitution. At one time the "express lanes" were used for mass transit and carpools. We know the "clean fuel" cars have been around for a while, and have been allowed in the HOV lanes for some time now. Then limited capacity, first generation hybrids come along (ex. Honda Insight). They get a waiver, yes a waiver for the "CF" tags (because the requirement for the CF tags is non-petroleum fueled cars) and therefore get into the express lanes.

I think I remember the "diamond" lanes were also for taxis (or did that only apply to DC?).

I don't know why you are so for "hybrids", and talk about reducing our dependency on foreign oil. Why not stand behind what you say, and use a non-petroleum fueled car, like LPG? Natural gas? Bio-diesel? They're out there and pollute LESS than you're gasoline burning hybrid? Why not pickup more people in your hybrid? I guess you don't care THAT MUCH about the environment, only a little.

The site has been published several times. Go to the general topic thread and look at the post that describes the history.

Only in DC would people advocate HOV-3 over HOV-30
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:27am
quote:
Originally posted by TWO

quote:
Want a transportation solution? Eliminate the carpool exemption in the express lanes. Keep the hybrid exemption. Make slugs choose to either:
- purchase a hybrid to improve the environment as well as lower the dependence of the nation on foreign oil

Those are some of the most stupid statements I've read on this site! Sure, eliminate carpools? Only let the two extremes in the express lanes: buses (large capacity) and cars with ONE person in it (minimally utilized). Let's all commute by ourselves in hybrids- now we're talking efficient and saving the environment!

And the other statement - we all buy hybrids to use the HOV lanes? That's already happened and all we see is average speeds decreasing.

NoSUV - I think you got some of your facts incorrect about the history of the HOV lanes. Where is the source of your information? Not that it really matters, but our lawmakers seem to re-interpret the laws and make changes that help their agenda. At this time, they have an agenda to promote "green" vehicles, which weren't a realistic option for the general public 25 years ago. Now they are. Over time and generations, the focus changes - it's even happened to our constitution. At one time the "express lanes" were used for mass transit and carpools. We know the "clean fuel" cars have been around for a while, and have been allowed in the HOV lanes for some time now. Then limited capacity, first generation hybrids come along (ex. Honda Insight). They get a waiver, yes a waiver for the "CF" tags (because the requirement for the CF tags is non-petroleum fueled cars) and therefore get into the express lanes.

I think I remember the "diamond" lanes were also for taxis (or did that only apply to DC?).

I don't know why you are so for "hybrids", and talk about reducing our dependency on foreign oil. Why not stand behind what you say, and use a non-petroleum fueled car, like LPG? Natural gas? Bio-diesel? They're out there and pollute LESS than you're gasoline burning hybrid? Why not pickup more people in your hybrid? I guess you don't care THAT MUCH about the environment, only a little.

I can tell you the source of his info. It's part of the body that rhymes with "wrecked them" if you say it fast enough.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
TWO View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:35am
quote:

Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 5:10am
BTW. I realized not only is my Diesel truck emissions exempt, but my track car is also going to be emissions exempt at the end of the year... It's from 1985.

It's also got straight pipes for the exhaust, no catalytic converter or mufflers, I've removed all the emissions controls from the engine, and it shoots flames from the tailpipe.

I suppose if I get tags for it, it should be allowed in the HOV lanes, you know... Since it's emissions exempt.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:48pm
Oh crap, who poked the @$%@#$# troll?
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:55am
So, is the vehicle you quoted exempt from emissions testing? The hybrids are!

That's just a downright dumb response:
1- What does exemption from emissions test have to do with traffic.
2- If your purpose for purchasing a Hybrid was to save the environment, putting more cars on the road for longer periods of time due to traffic is counterproductive.
3- You can not buy a new Hybrid today and get the HOV exemption (unless you already had one)
4- In tough economic times telling people to spend more out of pocket on gas or public transportation does not make sense

Eliminating the Hybrid exemption:

1- Potentially reduces the number of vehicles in HOV or alternative increases the number of potential slug drivers
2- Improves traffic flow
3- Helps the environment by increasing the number of passengers per car. If you Hybrid is so great with SOV think about how wonderful for the environment it would be with 2 more passengers.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 10:17am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

quote:

So, let's talk about your '91 Honda and compare it to a hybrid. Do you still have to have an emissions test every other year? Or is it, like a hybrid, exempt? How does it compare for NOX or CO2 compared to that Highlander?

From emissions test results (15/25 MPH Dynomometer readings)
NOx (ppm) 20/12 - Limit: 1146/1047
Carbon Monoxide (CO%) 0.06/0.08 - Limit: 1.43/1.84
Hydrocarbon (ppm) 1/2 - Limit: 168/164

They are well under limits and actually well under what they'd be brand new from the factory thanks to some creative reprogramming of the engine control module, custom wiring on the fuel injection electronics, and a high performance catalytic converter.

I bought the car and went over it from stem to stern. Better mileage and emissions than most compact hybrids, and it cost me less than five thousand dollars because I don't have the money for a fancy schmancy new hybrid... Well I do, but I don't believe in spending more than a couple thousand dollars on a car... You can't touch a hybrid for less than 10grand.

If you want something that's emissions exempt, how about my Ford pickup that runs on BioDiesel made from the grease from a Chinese Food restaurant?

Thanks for the great rundown of the history of the HOV lanes. I really don't care about the policies that were in place in the 1980's; I was in elementary school then.

We need a solution that works NOW.
Never mind the ecological benefits of a hybrid (Or lack thereof) Not everyone has the money or wants to spend the money to pay for a hybrid.
Everyone who has a 4 seat vehicle has the ability to pick up an additional few passengers.

And you are the one that bought up Cash For Clunkers... It was completely irrelevant. I voiced my opinion on the program, which was probably not a good idea seeing as how it wasn't part of the argument.

No, my Diesel F350 truck is exempt from emissions though.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 11:25pm
quote:

quote:

So, let's talk about your '91 Honda and compare it to a hybrid. Do you still have to have an emissions test every other year? Or is it, like a hybrid, exempt? How does it compare for NOX or CO2 compared to that Highlander?

From emissions test results (15/25 MPH Dynomometer readings)
NOx (ppm) 20/12 - Limit: 1146/1047
Carbon Monoxide (CO%) 0.06/0.08 - Limit: 1.43/1.84
Hydrocarbon (ppm) 1/2 - Limit: 168/164

They are well under limits and actually well under what they'd be brand new from the factory thanks to some creative reprogramming of the engine control module, custom wiring on the fuel injection electronics, and a high performance catalytic converter.

I bought the car and went over it from stem to stern. Better mileage and emissions than most compact hybrids, and it cost me less than five thousand dollars because I don't have the money for a fancy schmancy new hybrid... Well I do, but I don't believe in spending more than a couple thousand dollars on a car... You can't touch a hybrid for less than 10grand.

If you want something that's emissions exempt, how about my Ford pickup that runs on BioDiesel made from the grease from a Chinese Food restaurant?

Thanks for the great rundown of the history of the HOV lanes. I really don't care about the policies that were in place in the 1980's; I was in elementary school then.

We need a solution that works NOW.
Never mind the ecological benefits of a hybrid (Or lack thereof) Not everyone has the money or wants to spend the money to pay for a hybrid.
Everyone who has a 4 seat vehicle has the ability to pick up an additional few passengers.

And you are the one that bought up Cash For Clunkers... It was completely irrelevant. I voiced my opinion on the program, which was probably not a good idea seeing as how it wasn't part of the argument.

scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 3:58pm
quote:
I actually rather enjoy being in a Hybrid, especially some of the less common ones. I'm keeping my eye out for one of the earlier Hybrid Ford Escapes to replace my truck and commuter car at the same time.

I like looking at the energy flow/MPG graphic displays.

And having your air conditioning turn off when the engine shuts down.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic