Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What has happened to morning commute?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2003 at 10:05am
Vema and Elama, that was my point exactly. For the past nearly two years I've worked in DC, I could jump on HOV and get from Woodbridge to the Pentagon in 20 minutes (sometimes 15), with the occasional accident maybe once every few months. But it was never this bad, and I'm confused why the sudden slowdown. Certainly the rubberneckers are a major problem. Like we've never seen a fender bender before. I mean if it was a blown up tanker truck or something, then okay, I could understand the slowdown to see that (plus they would probably have lanes closed surrounding something that big). But come on! Joe Smith looks down to change the radio and bumps into Sue Jones at 5 MPH, and we all have to look at the scratch on her bumper! Stop it!! I was thinking that maybe it was the heightened terror alert, but the traffic doesn't backup near the Pentagon, and there is never any major police presence along the HOV. So what's the deal people?

Today was great though. Got to work in just under an hour. Back to normal maybe? I hope so.
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2003 at 10:10am
I have to leave 25 min early just to get to work ontime now. even today I just got here ontime leaving early. YEAH if only GEICO payed more it would be nice.
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2003 at 10:55am
My opinion, but I think that part of the general slowdown is because of drivers driving the speed limit in the left lane. I'm assuming this but isn't the left lane the passing lane in the HOV lanes? In general everyday traffic, I think that if you're in the left lane and you're not passing by anyone on the right, you ought to move to the right. You may be legal when driving in the left lane, but please be considerate and let the drivers behind you speed illegally [}:)] in the left lane. Whenever we pass on the right, the driver on the left is usually oblivious as to what is going on behind them, so I'm sure they're not going to read this [;)]

gg
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2003 at 2:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by gg
[br]My opinion, but I think that part of the general slowdown is because of drivers driving the speed limit in the left lane. I'm assuming this but isn't the left lane the passing lane in the HOV lanes? In general everyday traffic, I think that if you're in the left lane and you're not passing by anyone on the right, you ought to move to the right. You may be legal when driving in the left lane, but please be considerate and let the drivers behind you speed illegally [}:)] in the left lane. Whenever we pass on the right, the driver on the left is usually oblivious as to what is going on behind them, so I'm sure they're not going to read this [;)]

gg

... actually, Virginia has a law that you must move over from the left lane if overtaking traffic signals you, even if you are driving the posted speed limit. And yes, you can get a ticket if you don't. My beef are the folks poking along at 50-55 in the HOV (that and the single person violators).

- Will
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2003 at 4:03pm
I have noticed that too GG. I don't know how many times a person has been cruising along at 55 in the left lane, and there is a line of cars 20 deep behind him/her, and they won't get over. That probably does cause more problems than people realize, especially with only two lanes to work with.

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com
Vema View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2003 at 4:44pm
jjmahoney:
I personally love your thought about maybe we are back to normal. Even if we are not for now, it could happen and I'm going to hold on to that thought. We've had years of free-flowing traffic on the HOV, except as you said, the occasional back up. I'm betting good times will be back. Perhaps it is just a period of time when the HOV is out of sinc with the universe (wellll...it could be that).
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2003 at 10:21am
True Vema. It could be the colder/snowier than normal winter we've had. The last few winters have gone by without so much as a cold sneeze. But all the snow, all the potholes, all the people who don't know how to drive in it, are probably 99% of the causes for the problems. Thankfully traffic in the summer usually eases up some once school is out and people start taking vacations. And today being the first day of spring, we're one step closer!

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com
Kelsey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2003 at 12:10pm
I think you've hit the nail on the head. It is definitely the people and how they drive. During the past few weeks we just had too many of those types of drivers on the road at the same time and most importune time - rush hour!
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2003 at 12:16pm
Your too right about the left lane drivers!!! usually when you get past them they are flapping their gums on the cell phone not caring whats going on!
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2003 at 3:50pm
tondalea-NOOOO! Don't do it!! Not only does GEICO not pay, but the atmosphere is dull, somber and forboden. Life could not EVER get bad enough to work at GEICO!!![xx(] Take it from a former employee...[;)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic