Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What has happened to morning commute?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What has happened to morning commute?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 11:48am
We sure have had some terrible commutes in the morning lately. I wonder what is causing it. I assume it is some combination of potholes and the new configuration at Springfield. Hope it is just temporary because it has really been bad. There is no problem in the afternoon that I can see.

Bob
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 2:10pm
Actually it's because of rubberneckers who can't pass up on seeing a good wreck even though it's on an off ramp going the other direction. It's not even summer yet! [xx(]

K.O.
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 10:38am
I have noticed this too. If it's not snow (and the missing lanes that result from the mountains of snow everywhere) it's been the insane potholes everywhere. But the other days, I just don't get it. The accident this morning that closed HOV for about 30 minutes was a major headache. The car in front of me was the last one they let through before they closed it. At least I got a close up of the helicopter. That whole thing added an hour to my existing hour commute. Yesterday wasn't a picnic either. It seemed that traffic was slowing to read the big sign near Landmark telling them that Constitution was closed, the exact same message on the sign by Newington! And this psycho with the tractor on the mall, just shoot him!

I'm sorry for venting, but the past 2 weeks have just been horrible, even for HOV! Countless times I've wanted to just tell my slugs "I'm sorry, but I'm turning around and going home". Certainly I haven't done that, but when you have to sit in an additional hour of traffic because some idiot is weaving in and out of HOV traffic and causes a major accident (and they're usually HOV violators), I lose patience with this system. It's frustrating sitting there in HOV for an hour with no way off and watching the main lines fly by you. If it's something serious, I can understand. But even those have become too frequent. But even when it's not a serious accident, I never see a good reason for it to be backed up like that.
Rescue5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rescue5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 12:32pm
The accident this morning was awful! I was behind the guy who flipped his truck over a few times... They had to close down 95 to set a chopper down and get him... what a mess... [B)]
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 1:06pm
I heard about that accident!! I must have missed it by mere minutes, because I was going past Edsall Road when I heard about the first time on the radio. I bet that was terrible!!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 1:36pm
There have been several accidents that have involved an overturned vehicle. I am wondering if the sand on the shoulders may be contributing to this as a hazard. All it takes is to hit your brakes with one set of wheels in the sand and over you go.

I will email VDOT about this.

Bob
Rescue5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rescue5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 1:57pm
[V]I don't think it has anything to do with the sand. this guy had been going off the shoulder for about 3 miles back and fourth... I think he fell asleep... I stopped and got in the car to hold c-spine until they could get more rescue there.....
Vema View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 3:43pm
I have noticed slow downs, then regular speeds, then slow downs again in the am and I believe it is more than one factor. Here were my observations (for what they are worth) during the past week. My starting point is Rt. 17. I have observed a big slow down where the electronic signs are located- people were slowing down to read the thing when it has a message on it other than the normal HOV stuff. I guess some people are slow readers! Then traffic went back up to speed. Then traffic went to a crawl again at a point where cop cars were on each shoulder of the HOV with their lights flashing and people, once again, slowed down to see what was going on. (Nothing was going on other than the usual violator stops.) It is totally amazing that so many people cannot resist slowing down to check things out. What is THAT about?
Anyway, it seems that there is more going on than just an accident because there will be a slow down, then everything is fine for a few miles, then another slow down, and finally the third slow down. I am baffled because no one wants to spend all this extra time driving to work, yet there are so many people that have to look at everything around them - except the road in front of them.
elama View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 4:00pm
Vema: I have noticed the same things, but can't figure out why these things just started happening a few weeks ago and haven't let up.
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 4:25pm
I think everyone is tired of the morning commute. I tell you, Geico is looking better and better every day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic