Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The horror stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The horror stories?
    Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 1:21pm
I'm not talking about someone drank coffee in your car or talked on the phone the whole way home or the slug dinged your car door while opening it. That's typical assholery...

I'm looking for some REALLY bad times slugging.

Like the car blew out two tires or parts fell off... Or the driver wrecked the car...

Police/Fire/EMS intervention, a tow truck/taxi call, a call to an insurance company or some other interesting thing had to happen or been on the verge of happening to qualify...

So far, I haven't had any serious mishaps while slugging or driving.

One time I was riding in a Lincoln LS sedan and the Check Engine light on the dash came on, the driver said he had to pull over and stop the car for a sec... Turn it off turned it back on and we were on our way again... No biggie.

I haven't even seen so much as one flat tire while slugging.

C'mon. Spice up my day. Otherwise, I'll have to go to the supply closet for another nap.
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 8:00am
I used to slug from Crystal City and it was common for drivers to avoid the traffic at the Pentagon HOV entrance by turning onto Clark Street and going around the back side of the Pentagon (north parking) to Washington Blvd and then onto the HOV lanes. One day I got into a car and since the traffic was bad that day the other slug and I offered these directions to the young driver. Things were going ok until the merge onto Washington Blvd by Arlington Cemetery. I guess we were not specific enough in our instructions because he didn't look for traffic but cut right into the main lane. Too bad there was a commuter van already in the lane because he drove right into the side of it. It put a nice big dent down the side of his car and tore the mirror off (I noticed that his odometer only had 2K miles on it). After settling things with the other driver and the police we were finally on our way. Unfortunately the mirror was still connected by the wires so he had to pull it inside and could not close his window. It was the hottest day of the year and although he cranked up the AC I think the slug in the back almost had a heat stroke by the time we got back to Stafford.

Other adventures include a car getting a flat tire. Somehow when the tire shredded it banged against the fender and they had to pound it out so the spare could be put on. Then there was the time the transmission in a fairly new PT Cruiser I was riding in gave out just before Springfield. I was able to get a ride to the Metro station from the VDOT driver assistance truck so I could get to work. Finally, I got a ride in a Jag once and we actually got pulled over for speeding. The state trooper asked the driver if there was a reason he was going 75? I know 75 seems the norm but I think it was the fact that he was weaving in traffic and passed the trooper on the right. Still, the driver got off with verbal warning when he promised to drive slower the rest of the way.

I guess these incidents aren't too bad when spread over 10 years.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 12:33pm
I and another slug was involved in an accident around Duke street in a small Acura (coupe at that) going into the Pentagon a few years back. The kid just decided to accelerate hard to stop someone from merging in front of him from the right. Unfortunately the traffic was stopped up ahead. By the time he relized it, it was too late. We clipped the rear fender of a Jeep trying to dodge into the median. We both were shaken up but were able to continue to work (in the Jeep). His car was wrecked and had to be towed. The best part of the story has got to be that he was bringing (hot meatballs) food into an organzational event. All the food was in his trunk. I'm sure that must have smelled just wonderful after he got it back from being towed/fixed.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:54pm
There is a trus story that was in the Washington Post 20 yrs ago.

A driver and two slugs were driving to DC. The rider in the back was reading her paper. Suddenly the rider in the front noticed the driver had slumped forward. He alerted the rider in the back to hold up the driver. The rider in the front seat was able to shift the car into neutral, push the driver's foot off the gas pedal and guide the car to the shoulder of the HOV lane.

The driver woke up and asked what happened. When he was informed that he had lost consciousness, the driver admitted he was taking medication that may cause drowsiness and to avoid operating vehicles. The two riders tried to get the driver to switch places so one of them could drive his car, but he refused. The driver kept apologizing during the remainder of the commute. When they got to DC, both riders jumped out at the same intersection, hugged and walked the rest of the way to their offices. I don't think the riders were getting out at the same stop, but decided to exit that car as fast as possible.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:05pm
Here's the scariest that happened to me. We've dubbed it the St Valentine's Day massacre (no fatalities fortunately).

Valentine's Day, Friday Feb 14, 2003. It's a 3-day weekend plus it's V-day so afternoon traffic is heavy. My co-worker and I get in a car at the Pentagon headed for Stafford. Traffic is all backed up at Springfield so we're stopped in the left lane at the last HOV on-ramp. Get the sudden jolt from being rear-ended so we get out of the car to see what happened.

A black Saturn rear-ended a minivan which in turn hit our car causing us to nudge the car in front of us, a total of 4 cars involved. The Saturn must've been going near full-speed at impact and totally demolished the rear seat of the minivan.

The minivan has a mother with a baby and young child. The child gets scared so immediately gets out of the van and runs across the right HOV lane almost getting hit by the moving cars. The Saturn driver gets out OK with just a bloody face. The two slugs are pinned in and they have to call out the Jaws of Life to extricate them and then they are medevac'd to the hospital. I think I heard one had a broken back because the Saturn trunk was full of firewood which flew through the back seat at impact.

Everything gets shut down to land the helicopter in the HOV lanes. We realize that the two slugs in the Saturn were standing right in front of us at the Pentagon and we got in the next car so it could've been the two of us there instead. We're OK but our car has to get towed so we end up hitching a ride to Stafford in the Mustang that we hit but was still driveable. Two days later we get hit with the numerous snowstorms that shut down schools for a total of over two weeks.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:09pm
Wow Mpatoka- Did you continue to slug your regular routine after that? I'd probably be afraid too for a bit after that. I remember the storms of 03.

This is a shared system folks. Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them.

XOXO- sluggin' girl
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 2:16pm
Pweeze,
That happened in my first year of slugging and have continued slugging for over 7 years now. I didn't change my routine but it took both of us about 6 months to get over the fear of being rear-ended again. Everytime the driver would hit the brakes, we'd both tense up and immediately look in the mirrors to see if someone was coming up behind us. Just one of those things.

The bad part was the driver that caused the accident was a regular driver until he retired about a year or so later. I had ridden once or twice with him and he would drive drowsy so he was one of those cars you tried to avoid if you knew him.
langloisrg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote langloisrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 4:34pm
Wow the worst thing that happened to me is I once rode with 2 ladies singing and clapping to gospel at the top of their lungs from the Pentagon to Stafford and another were a lady pulled up to the pentagon and said, and I quote "I can to 3 but I have been drinking so someone else has to drive". An army officer drove she got in the back seat, 2 other slugs got in and off they went as myself and several other slugs stood there and watched in sheer bewilderment.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:59am
quote:
Originally posted by langloisrg

a lady pulled up to the pentagon and said, and I quote "I can to 3 but I have been drinking so someone else has to drive". An army officer drove she got in the back seat, 2 other slugs got in and off they went as myself and several other slugs stood there and watched in sheer bewilderment.

That's AWESOME!

Next time I knock back a few beers after work, I gotta remember I can pick up a few DDs at the slug line!
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:19pm
There's been a few times I wouldn't mind telling the driver to pull over, hop in back, finish taking your nap and I'll drive the rest of the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic