Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV cheaters or just a lot of real HOV?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2003 at 2:25pm
You know why they are driving slow is because the cheaters are trying to "hide" amongst us non-cheaters. Picking up slugs has become difficult for me over the past couple of years but I still do it. There are times when I think to myself "Why am I waiting 30 minutes for riders when I could get in the HOV lanes with just a slight chance of getting caught? Especially since I have close to limo tint?"

I think some of cheaters that are "hiding" amongst us are unsafe as well as slow.

quote:
Originally posted by MISS "T"
[br]There are quite a few cheaters on the express lanes between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. and they are very annoying [:(!],driving 30 miles per hours,I don't get that, what makes them think driving slow will not bring attention to them violating?[:0]

MISS "T"

Dina
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2003 at 12:01pm
[:(!]
As I brought up in a previous thread, the traffic in HOV has been horrendous the past few weeks! This week in particular (except for Monday). Two accidents in the past two days have had me sitting in traffic for 30+ extra minutes. In both cases the accident was cleared before I got to it. My question is, are these accidents caused by cheaters and their "hiding" or "slow driving" tactics to keep from getting caught?

I'm all for the Hybrid cars on there. If I had one, I'd take advantage of that too. But I'd just like to know who is screwing traffic for us normal HOV'ers. When my commute time is doubled two days in a row, I get very upset. If I wanted to sit in 2 hours of traffic, I'd just drive alone in the main lines!

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 2:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by Telser
[br]When they are driving slow between Edsall Rd. and Springfield (where they let less than 3 people in a car get on the HOV lane as long as they get off on the last Springfield exit) close to the 6pm hour, they are trying to time it so that they aren't too much before 6pm when they reach that last Springfield exit so that they can stay on the HOV lane. They are a pain in the neck because they slow everyone down. I've even seen them pull over and stop on the shoulder, especially if they see a cop car's lights ahead. When they all start pulling out into the lanes from the shoulders about 6pm, it is not only annoying, but dangerous. If they are doing this elsewhere, I don't know the reason. As far as earlier times, the instances that I have noticed is when they spot a cop car ahead, they tend to put on the brakes and start crawling along.

They do this around the Pentagon near 6:00 PM too, waiting for the HOV hours to expire. As soon as you take the left split at the Potomac Park exit in DC, you start seeing cars on the shoulder as early as 5:35. I've seen cops ticket these people occasionally, but not very often. It's extremely dangerous, especially because they think they're entitled to be let into traffic when 5:55 rolls around. They will pull out in front of you and slam on the accelerator in a mad rush to beat everyone else into the express lanes before the flood comes. It's kind of absurd when you consider that no cop is going to pull over a violator between the Pentagon and Shirlington at 5:55.
elama View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 3:11pm
I've never understood why the cops don't position themselves at trouble areas and do a clean sweep and give everyone a ticket. At certain areas out in the suburbs, if there are, say, 3 traffic violators, the cops (who are standing outside their cars at trouble spots) point and wave each person over to the shoulder instead of staying in their car and pulling one person over at a time. One cop's job is solely to "point and wave," so everyone is caught.

On the HOV lane, of course, you could have quite a few cars pulled over at one time, waiting their turn to have a ticket written, and some people may complain that it would slow the traffic in the HOV lane, but that would only be temporary. Once the word got out, I believe the drop in cheaters would be drastic. Together with the ticket and the wait to get the ticket - yeah - double whammy for the cheaters. Near the Lakeridge entrance onto the HOV, often you will see a couple cops standing outside their cars and doing a version of this, but they don't have a cop who is only waving people over. They may have two cops pulling people over, but those same two cops are only pulling a few over at a time and while they are writing the tickets, calling in license #s, etc., a mess more violators are whizzing by.
Mancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2003 at 3:18pm
The only solution I see to this problem is that the cops should position themselves in the HOV entrances, that way the cheaters
will be forced to not enter the express lane. They will not have
to patrol along the express lane anymore and will keep it clean
from cheaters. How's that sound?
Tupe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2003 at 7:40am
It sounds like the best way to me. It has been suggested numerous timesb the question is why the state police don't implement something that sounds so sensible.

quote:
Originally posted by Mancilla
[br]The only solution I see to this problem is that the cops should position themselves in the HOV entrances, that way the cheaters
will be forced to not enter the express lane. They will not have
to patrol along the express lane anymore and will keep it clean
from cheaters. How's that sound?

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2003 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Tupe
[br]It sounds like the best way to me. It has been suggested numerous timesb the question is why the state police don't implement something that sounds so sensible.

Because they'd miss out on a lot of ticketing revenue when they do their bi-monthly HOV stings!!!
Telser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2003 at 3:00pm
OK, then about they position themselves on or immediately after the ramp, pull ALL violators over (as opposed to one at a time)? Then they would be on the HOV lanes and could collect the dough.

quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
[br]It sounds like the best way to me. It has been suggested numerous timesb the question is why the state police don't implement something that sounds so sensible.

Because they'd miss out on a lot of ticketing revenue when they do their bi-monthly HOV stings!!!

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2003 at 9:25am
Because if they were there everyday and everyone knew they were there everyday, no one (except those unfamiliar with the area and made a mistake) would violate the HOV. Just like how it is rare to find a truck illegally cruising down Rt. 110 past the Pentagon. Everyone is well aware of the constant police presence.

quote:
Originally posted by Telser
[br]OK, then about they position themselves on or immediately after the ramp, pull ALL violators over (as opposed to one at a time)? Then they would be on the HOV lanes and could collect the dough.

quote:
[br]

3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2003 at 10:10am
[br]Because if they were there everyday and everyone knew they were there everyday, no one (except those unfamiliar with the area and made a mistake) would violate the HOV. Just like how it is rare to find a truck illegally cruising down Rt. 110 past the Pentagon. Everyone is well aware of the constant police presence.

The cops can't be there "everyday" - just random days; otherwise, like you said...it wouldn't work if cheaters knew they would be there everyday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic