Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Map of Slug Lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Map of Slug Lines
    Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 7:16pm
To All:
I am in the process of adding all the slug lines to a Google map. I think this could be valuable because it can be viewed not only as a map but in a satellite view. Plus it can give you driving directions, taffic, etc. Here is the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&msid=114914938145396867730.00047e140c1ca7b0f0259&ll=38.707482,-77.227364&spn=0.183787,0.235863&z=12

Comments?
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:06am
Admin,
This is a great tool for slugs and drivers!
Some feedback:
On the Rolling Valley Mall slug line location (after one goes to the satellite photo view and zooms in on the photo) - the slug line is actually in the commuter lot (not in the shopping center lot as shown). The commuter lot is a bit further east and south of where the blue Google Maps marker is. The lot is almost a trapazoid in shape, almost empty in the photo, and there is a tree line between it and the shopping center parking lot. Suggest you move the blue marker from the shopping center lot into the actual commuter lot that's a bit to the right and down on the map photo view.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:24am
Admin,
One more set of comments on the "blue marker" Google Maps locations in the West Springfield/Burke area.

a. The locations for the Sydenstricker and Gambrill Rd commuter lots are 100% correct.

b. The blue marker for the Huntsman/Sydenstricker intersection slug line is about a 1/4 mile too far south and east of the actual intersection. The blue marker should be moved to the left and up on the map along Sydenstricker Rd to the northeast corner of the Sydenstricker intersection with Huntsman Blvd (there's a Metro bus stop there). A bit of history: This location was a very active slug line until the Sydenstricker Commuter Lot was built. I understand it gets little use now -- but when I've driven by there in the afternoons during rush hour, I do see several cars that appear to belong to commuters parked south of the intersection along Huntsman Blvd. Not sure if the owners of those cars are actually sluggin' back to this intersection or taking the Metro bus back to the bus stop. In any case, this is an historic slug line location that has been there since the inception of sluggin'.
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:28am
The blue markers for the Potomac mills locations are off a little also. the Pentagon line forms on the other side of the commuter lot. The marker on the map now is for DC (18th street, 14th street,etc.) then about 2 parking lanes to the left is a line for Crystal City & Rosslyn.

This is a great idea.

Jerry
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:20am
Admin - The commuter lot for Springfield (Bob's), the blue marker should be moved to the left side of the map in the Springfield Plaza parking lot. Thanks.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the input on the map. Here are the changes I have made:

Jody - marker moved into the Springfield Plaza. I drew a line around what I thought was the commuter lot. Did I get it right?

Jerry - I added two blue markers for the other two slug lines. Did I get it right?

sluDgE - Moved the Huntsman/Sydenstricker blue marker to the correct location.

sluDgE - Moved the Rolling Valley blue marker to the commuter lot. But, is there just one slug line there? I was thinking there were others.

The blue marker index on the left side of the page will be put in some kind of order later. The basic format for the markers are:
Slug Line (Location)
Destinations

Again, thank for the input.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:44pm
Admin,

There is only one slug line at the Rolling Valley Mall commuter lot for all locations that the line supports. The line is on the traffic island (on the back side of the bus shelters). That's the side of the shelters nearest to Old Keene Mill Rd.

Thanks for allowing slugs and drivers to offer suggestions and corrections.

One more item: While the parking for "Bob's" is in designated spaces within the Springfield Plaza parking lot, the two morning "Bob's" slug lines are actually located across Old Keene Mill Rd in the old Circuit City parking lot. That's the lot with two lanes perpendicular to Old Keene Mill Rd. One slug line is in each of the lanes. I think the current map of the two lines at the "Morning Slug Lines" tab is still correct. If not, someone who uses the slug lines there regularly needs to chime in.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:10pm
Got it! Thanks. I moved the blue marker slightly for Rolling Valley and also corrected Bob's location as well.

I appreciate the help!
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:39am
Admin -- Thanks for marking the Springfield Plaza parking lot as the drop off point in the evening. As Sludge pointed out, the two blue markers in the Circuit City lot are the pick up points for the morning commute.
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:58am
Almost there on the Potomac Mills spots. The 18th/14th Street line is where you have the Pentagon Line. the Pentagon Line should be moved to the right to the otherside of the lot where all of the cars are parked.

Jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic