Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbalducci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horner Road (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)
    Posted: 27 Mar 2003 at 2:28pm
Horner Road mornings are out of control. Drivers are using the bus lane to call for riders. The pick-up point is backed up, riders are opting to ride in cars who are not in line. Riders get frustrated and walk the car line looking for their destination. Which leaves those few waiting in line also frustrated because they lost their ride. This location needs more organization and a little cooperation from the people who use it.
OkieinDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OkieinDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2003 at 1:21pm
I've been slugging/picking up slugs from Horner RD to Crystal City/Pentagon for over a year. I agree with you on some points. Everyday I see at least one vehicle trying to pick up slugs from the bus lane, or calling from the parking lot for slugs. [V] I don't think that practice is fair to the cars waiting in line, so I never ride with them. As far as walking the line, I don't think it is wrong for the person in the front of the line to walk the line of cars until they find a car that is headed their way. I do that several times to expedite the process.[:)]

Thanks
Cas View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2003 at 8:15am
If people didn't walk the line, things get backed up even more and everyone waits unecessarily. What I have experienced is that the first person in line walks the line and calls out destinations back to the sluggers until he/she has found a car going his/her way. Then the next person in line does the same thing, and so on. This system works great. If someone doesn't care to walk the line, yes, he/she is going to lose a ride - they can't expect to stand there like a lump while someone else walks the line. If you stand waiting for the car to come within two inches of you - you lose - and rightfully so in my opinion.
mol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2003 at 8:24am
Walking the line makes everything MORE organized, not less. What makes everything not run as smoothly are people who stand there and make no attempt whatsoever to find out where the drivers are going. What in the world are these people waiting for? If I'm 3rd or 4th in line, and the people ahead of me are not going down the line, I'll go and call out the destination, but if I find my destination which may also be one of those "immovable objects'" destinations who won't walk the line, there is no way I will give the ride to the little princes and princesses.
Monbe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2003 at 8:33am
I don't have a problem with those who stand there and don't walk the line unless they start complaining about loosing a ride.
jc9 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 1:21pm
I agree, picking up at Horner in the morning is a MESS. The sad thing is, there's usually enough people waiting to ride and enough cars waiting to pick up! I had my first experience witnessing a cheater in the morning yeaterday, (black mercedes plates "EVRE WMN" by the way) who "cheated", pulled up to the side of the slug line and picked up to Roslyn when we were next in line. The 2 she stole caused us to have to wait another few minutes for the 1 we needed! And why do the sluggers GO to cheating cars? I've found that the destinations these cheaters are going to usually have fair-players already waiting to pick up! Its really not saving the slugger any time!
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 10:32am
Slugs walking the line seems to make sense, but it quickly becomes confusing when there are a bunch of people walking back through the line and you have no idea if your destination driver is at the start of the line. That is, slugs walking the line only care about their own ride and won't call out the destination of cars that they've passed.

Overall, I think walking the line is wrong. Why isn't it done at other places, such as at the Pentagon where there is a multiple destination line of Potomac Mills and Horner Road? Yes, things could go faster if slugs "walked" the line of cars, but it would be confusing and prone to cheating, IMHO.

gg
babitee69 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babitee69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 9:56am
I agree with what everyone else is saying about Horner
Lot. Seems alot of disorganized confusion every morning.
Not to mention in the mass confusion people begin to cutt
from the back of the line. Which is very rude to the ones
who have been waiting patiently in the front ot the line.
You would think we could all act like grown adults not children
and start to have some respect for each other. Please can we
get alittle more organized in the slug-line. The commute would
go alot faster and easier with communication.

Thank you
jbalducci View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbalducci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 8:25am
Thank you. There is nothing more frustrating than people cutting from the back of the line to walk the row of cars looking for their own ride. I don't know what the answer is beyond having no respect for those waiting in line. Maybe we need two lines...we sure have enough room on both sides of the street. One side for Pent and the other CryCity and Ros. Simple solution, and works for me.
quote:
Originally posted by babitee69
[br]I agree with what everyone else is saying about Horner
Lot. Seems alot of disorganized confusion every morning.
Not to mention in the mass confusion people begin to cutt
from the back of the line. Which is very rude to the ones
who have been waiting patiently in the front ot the line.
You would think we could all act like grown adults not children
and start to have some respect for each other. Please can we
get alittle more organized in the slug-line. The commute would
go alot faster and easier with communication.

Thank you

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2003 at 8:39am
jbalducci,

I like your suggestion which I think is to form another car line on the other side of the island? However, the problem is that the other side is used by the buses. Although they only arrive every 20 minutes(?) or so, they would not allow it because the cars would get in their way. But I like the idea of forming another line because some people can be very inconsiderate and the match up of cars with slugs is inefficient -- any other thoughts [?]

gg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic