Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commuter/Slug-lines after the Snowstorm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commuter/Slug-lines after the Snowstorm
    Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:41pm
Hi folks,

I thought we could do a new topic so that everyone can update the status of their nearby (or not so nearby) commuter lots so that people know what to expect come Monday morning.

For example, I live near Old Hechinger's, so I took a walk by there late this afternoon. From the small ripples I saw in the sea of snow, it looks like VDOT may have sent a plow through it sometime Friday afternoon. Since then, it hasn't been touched. Unless they focus some serious front-loaders on that lot in the next 12 hours, Old Hechinger's will be completely closed tomorrow.

So, what's the status of any commuter/slug-lots you may have seen today?

-Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:02pm
On my way home from work yesterday, I stopped by Horner Road for a little fun. It's got a thin layer of ice, but is mostly clean. I feel sorry for whomever has to dig out the VPSI vans though...

On my way in to work this morning, it looked like they still hadn't gotten to the on/off ramps that take HOV traffic into the lot though. I took the HOV ramp prior to the lot itself.

Both HOV and main lanes have 2-3" of packed snow and ice with lots of divots and ruts in them. It's like offroading... And the black ice is treacherous. The walls of snow that were plowed against the jersey walls on I-95 melted and refroze. Needless to say even without traffic, the times to beat were not touched today.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:03am
AS OF 05.30 Friday, the 12th of February:

Horner Road is clear and about 95% of the spaces are available. Some have snow piles in them.

The older section of lot has a lot of runoff that will be black ice in the morning. The newer section of the lot back by Telegraph Road has some layered ice in the lot... Basically, just be careful running around the lot.

The worst thing I can see is that they left the big snow piles near the intersections within the lot... Be careful exiting the lot onto the road that runs up the middle of the lot. Visibility is limited.

The HOV lanes are completely clear to the pavement. Both lanes are usable. The shoulders are both halfway plowed as well, so you don't have to crowd the center line. However, if someone breaks down, they will crowd into the lanes, so just keep alert.

Beware of the black ice that forms due to the runoff of the melting piles.

Monday should be a fairly normal rush hour.

Times to beat:
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:17am
The 610 Stafford (old lot) is mostly clear also this morning. VDOT was using it as a staging area for plows so about 1/3 of the lot was taken up with their equipment. Some parkings lanes have snow piles but overall it's cleared off better than after some lesser storms.
rpoirier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoirier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 1:48pm
I just went by the Giant this afternoon at Springfield Plaza and I noticed the commuter parking has not been touched. Any word on when/if this will happen before next week? Is there a number to call to find out? The rest of the Giant and Kmart lot is clear, its just the "blue" parking spaces that are not. Did anyone slug from Bob's this morning? How was the trip?
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 11:49am
[:(!] The lot at Sydenstricker was a mess on Fri. morning. You can NOT follow the normal traffic pattern through the lot since they piled snow in the middle of the travel lane just past the pick-up point.

[:)] The Pentagon lines looked good when I dropped off Fri. morning.
vaslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:08am
I went by the Giant at Springfield Plaza this morning (Feb. 15th) and they still haven't touched the commuter spaces but they did have their security guy sitting in the lot. Has anyone heard why they aren't clearing the commuter section of the lot?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:17am
Not too many people at Horner Rd. today...
Government still closed or something?

The lots and roads are clean.

Times to beat:
rpoirier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoirier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 11:34am
Does anyone have a contact number for the commuter lot at the Kmart at Springfield Plaza? It still hasn't been cleared as of this morning and government goes back to work tomorrow! Did anyone slug from Bob's today? Is it even possible at this point?
rpoirier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoirier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 12:19pm
I called the Giant at Springfield Plaza and they said that there are 3 companies that manage the Springfield Plaza lot. Rappaport is the company that manages the strip where the Giant is, but they aren't responsible for the commuter lot. She suggested talking to Wachovia and find out who manages their property. I called Wachovia and the representative was not helpful. He didn't know the name of the management company and said that the Wachovia lot had been cleared and didn't think they were responsible for the commuter spaces. I'll keep trying today until I can get ahold of someone. If we can at least get the commuter lot clear, we have a place to park. We may have to change where we stand if the Circuit City lot isn't cleared.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic