Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnother Good Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Good Year
    Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 12:57pm
Good news follows:

HOV hybrid exemptions extended
Hybrid exemption in HOV lanes extended another year

Date published: 2/25/2010

By KELLY HANNON

A limited group of hybrid owners will likely have another year to use carpool lanes on Interstate 95 at rush hour, regardless of the number of people inside the car.

Both houses of the Virginia General Assembly have passed a bill extending the exemption for clean special fuel vehicles in High Occupancy Vehicle lanes.

The exemption was set to expire June 30, 2010. Now, if Gov. Bob McDonnell signs the bill, it will end on July 1, 2011.

All vehicles registered in Virginia bearing clean special fuel license plates can use High Occupancy Vehicle lanes regardless of their occupant numbers, except on I-95/395. On those interstates, vehicles with the speciality license plates must have been registered prior to July 1, 2006 to use the HOV lanes without passenger restrictions.

The 2006 limit for I-95/395 was set in 2005 by the General Assembly as a compromise measure, letting the lanes continue to be used by early adopters of the hybrid technology, but preventing them from being overrun by subsequent drivers.

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles designed a new license plate so law enforcement officers could distinguish between them.

A portion of the proceeds from clean special fuel license plate sales goes to the Virginia State Police for HOV enforcement. Last year, the plates raised $293,955 for HOV enforcement.

The legislation would affect a small subset of Virginia drivers.

There are 12,430 vehicles in Virginia registered with clean special fuel licenses dating before July 1, 2006, according to Virginia DMV. After that date, there have been 10,014 vehicles registered with clean special fuel plates in Virginia.

Statewide, there are approximately 7.5 million registered vehicles.

The bill passed the House of Delegates 78-17 and the Senate 40-0

HOVME
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:35pm
I'll say it again.....

Oh crap.....
HOVME View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 11:51am
And Dr. Gridlock of the Washington Post sees it going on indefinitely. See below:

Hybrids stay in HOV lanes
They never listen to me.

Virginia legislators and the governor have once again extended the provision that allows hybrid vehicles, even with solo drivers, to use the carpool lanes in Northern Virginia. It is now set to expire July 1, 2011. (They'll extend it again next year.)

This supposedly temporary measure dates back to the days when governments wanted to encourage the purchase of hybrid vehicles. If people bought the more efficient cars, they could get a faster trip to and from work by using the HOV lanes.

But the need for an incentive to buy hybrids disappeared long ago, along with low gas prices. The pollution coming from three hybrids with solo drivers in the HOV-3 lanes of I-95 can top that of one SUV carrying three people. Plus, the unrestricted use of hybrids contributes to congestion in the HOV lanes and decreases the incentive to carpool.

Del. Thomas A. "Tag" Greason (R-Loudoun) sponsored the one-year extension approved by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Robert F. McDonnell (R).

The rules
Hybrid vehicles with the required clean-fuel license plates can continue to use the I-95/395, I-66 and Dulles Toll Road HOV through June 30, 2011.

Only hybrids with clean-fuel plates issued before July 1, 2006, can use the I-95/395 HOV lanes during rush hours. All hybrids with clean-fuel plates can use all other HOV lanes in Virginia during HOV hours, including I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road.

For a hybrid to use Virginia's HOV lanes during rush hours, the vehicle must have a clean special-fuel plate issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Not all hybrids qualify for clean-fuel plates. Check the DMV Web site for an updated list of eligible hybrids.

By Robert Thomson | March 18, 2010; 11:28 AM ET

HOVME
Duke49 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:45am
HOV Exemption for Hybrid Vehicles Extended to June 30, 2011
Hybrid vehicles with the required clean fuel plates will continue to be able to use the HOV lanes on Interstates 95, 395, 66 and the Dulles Toll Road until June 30, 2011, under an extension passed by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine.

In order for a hybrid vehicle to use Virginia’s HOV lanes during the morning and afternoon rush hours, the vehicle must have a clean special fuel plate issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

More information is available at www.dmv.virginia.gov

HOVME View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:19pm
Bills now introduced in VA house and senate to extend hybrids on HOV through 6/30/12.

HOVME
HOVME View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 7:31pm
The Virginia General Assembly today passed the extension allowing single occupancy hybrids to continue to use the HOV lanes through June 30, 2012.

HOVME
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:25am
You posted this three ****ing times in different threads. Get over it.

People wonder why some hate Hybrid owners with their false sense of entitlement. **** like this is a perfect example.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:32pm
Guess i will have to break out the old tried and true.

This could work for any of the State Senators, I just drafted it to fit mine. No pride of authorship here please feel free to take and share with friends, neighbors, slugs, colleagues, just about anyone.

Have you met your new Springfield State Senator?
Let me introduce you to Sen. George Barker.

Sen. George Barker Hates Slugs and Slugging

On Feb. 26th, one of Senator Barkerˇ¦s first actions was to extend the Hybrid exemption for HOV lanes to allow single passenger hybrids to continue using HOV lanes. Regardless that increasing gas prices are resulting in more and more vehicles are crowding the HOV lanes and slowing the commute.

Since Sen. Barker has proven through his votes that he hates the SLUG system and instead supports Hybrid drivers and big developers, maybe we should remind him how is the Hybrid exemption bad for Virginians?

„« Since the Hybrid exemption was established, Prince William and Stafford Counties have been two of the fastest growing counties in VA. This ex-urban sprawl destroys our environment, results in more cars on the road for more miles and wastes time and energy.
„« The current exemption which transfers with the plate allows hybrid owners to upgrade from the few relatively efficient original hybrids to a ˇ§newˇ¨ hybrid, like the 2008 Toyota Highlander (24 mpg), Lexus RX (24 mgp), or Chevy Tahoe Hybrid (20 mpg). These new ˇ§hybridsˇ¨ get far worse gas mileage then the car the plate was issued for but they still get the plate and SOV exemption.
„« Hybrids get their best gas mileage when operating in city traffic or stop-and-go traffic, where the electric engine and braking energy recovery result in the highest gas mileage. At freeway speeds, Hybrids are no more efficient then any other vehicle due to the need for the gas engine to be running at full speed to keep the pace.

I would urge you to email him at district39@sov.state.va.us, however he hasnˇ¦t responded to my repeated emails but you might have more luck.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:36pm
Also you can ask the Governor to veto here.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Contact.cfm
Old Man View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:43am
"Hybrids get their best gas mileage when operating in city traffic or stop-and-go traffic, where the electric engine and braking energy recovery result in the highest gas mileage. At freeway speeds, Hybrids are no more efficient then any other vehicle due to the need for the gas engine to be running at full speed to keep the pace."

A common misconception. My Prius gets similar mileage in both environments. That is because city driving creates a lot more stop and go cycles which eat up fuel (accelerating from stops). Also, hiway driving has numerous opportunities to go into coast mode, where the engine shuts down and energy is regenerated. Don't believe everything you read. You have to operate one to understand the true capabilities.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic