Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3rd Rider Rule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:44pm
Lack of response from me may be due to my poor hearing... I usually remove my hearing aide before I drive home so quite a bit of the things that are said to me are a bit muted/difficult to understand... (my wife says it is selective[}:)]).

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

quote:
Originally posted by dwyorkster

I agree...these replies correctly reflect the proper slug etiquette. The "asker" in this case still benefits...he/she just moved closer to the front of the line. I'm normally a rider but have always been amused by riders who behave as if the 3rd rider is an entitlement. On a rare occasion when I drove, I took a 3rd and all three riders asked for stops each just a block apart and requiring movement from left-side to right-side lanes. I had no problem complying, but couldn't help but wonder if this isn't why many drivers don't agree to a 3rd rider and how riders cannot see this and adjust their requests accordingly after they get into the car.

It's not an entitlement, but I don't appreciate the drivers that act like they didn't hear me when I ask, "Would you mind taking one more?"

A simple, "No." would be fine. But to ignore someone that asked a legitimate question is just rude.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)

dwyorkster View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwyorkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:46pm
There seem to be only two alterntives:
(1) Quickly saying to those ahead of you, "He'll take a 3rd...anyone?" as you indicate with a subtle move that you'll take it if no one else does. If no one does, it was yours anyway. If someone does, you just moved up in the line. Everyone admires your attentive politeness.
(2) Attempt to grab the "earned" ride and create potential confusion/drama in the line among those who are accustomed to the simple and established first-in-line rule and unfamiliar with the better/faster "negotiator" caveat. The driver witnesses it and is slightly delayed by the confusion. You either win the ride and grin about the sleepy losers you just outdid or lose the ride and grumble about the etiquette's lack of subtle qualifications and the injustice you just suffered even after hard-earned negotiations. The next day someone asks if he'll take a 3rd and he says no.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 9:57am
quote:
Originally posted by Oosik

quote:
It's not an entitlement, but I don't appreciate the drivers that act like they didn't hear me when I ask, "Would you mind taking one more?"

A simple, "No." would be fine. But to ignore someone that asked a legitimate question is just rude.

Pele, I agree that if someone asks a question, a response is appropriate. I only comment to note that if a driver says that they will not take a third passenger, it's not the time for the slug to start pointing out that there is room, that it would be an enormous convenience, etc. etc. Unless it was inclement weather, past slugging time or if it would leave a woman alone I do not pick up more than 2 slugs. It's unfair to the other drivers and I don't need any additional inconvenience or liability. It doesn't matter if I have my subcompact or my minivan - I almost always take only two slugs. Unfortunately, I have had slugs argue with me and get indignant, esp when in my minivan, that I am denying them being the third passenger. Also, no slug should presume that a 3rd passenger is authorized without asking.

HOV is for High Occupancy Vehicles, not hybrid occupied vehicles.

Not at all. I usually thank them for responding.
People who respond is usually the exception.

I see them, they see me. I speak loudly and clearly, usually repeating myself and gesturing with my hands. They still either roll up the window or pull off without a word.

And it's usually old folks lecturing ME about respect and manners. *sigh*

Times to beat:
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:20am
quote:

quote:

quote:
It's not an entitlement, but I don't appreciate the drivers that act like they didn't hear me when I ask, "Would you mind taking one more?" A simple, "No." would be fine. But to ignore someone that asked a legitimate question is just rude.

Pele, I agree that if someone asks a question, a response is appropriate. I only comment to note that if a driver says that they will not take a third passenger, it's not the time for the slug to start pointing out that there is room, that it would be an enormous convenience, etc. etc. Unless it was inclement weather, past slugging time or if it would leave a woman alone I do not pick up more than 2 slugs. It's unfair to the other drivers and I don't need any additional inconvenience or liability. It doesn't matter if I have my subcompact or my minivan - I almost always take only two slugs. Unfortunately, I have had slugs argue with me and get indignant, esp when in my minivan, that I am denying them being the third passenger. Also, no slug should presume that a 3rd passenger is authorized without asking.

I see them, they see me. I speak loudly and clearly, usually repeating myself and gesturing with my hands. They still either roll up the window or pull off without a word.

I will open with the, I am probably a bad driver, I gripe endlessly about cars that take 3 when not necessary, then I occassionally do it myself. But then I have also taken 4 in my little black truck when there were still hordes after hours.

That Said...I am with Oosik on this we drivers sometimes get a bit into the non-response mode when we DONT want a third - cause of junk in the back seat folks cant see, just tired and dont want more risk of chatty phone guy, or see a slug we dont want next - and more than occasionaly you get slugs arguing with you to take a third and its much easier to brush off the "Take a third?" demand by not responding, then starting the No, leading to pleading and debate option.
Rickie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 12:18pm
Oops, I forgot to mention something in my original post.

Let's say someone calls 14&I and from the long line of people I see couple people heading for the car. And if I am the third one, I usually ask the driver. If there are people ahead of me, I don't do anything. That just made my whole original post irrelevant[:p][:p][:p]
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 11:21pm
"I mean, whoever the next person was COULD have asked but instead didn't bother to negotiate."

In your last post, you make it sound like you were the third in line, but your original post said otherwise. No one would dispute your right, as third in line, to ask about a third. So I am confused. To me, this is a non issue. If the caller screws up, and doesn't ask about "hom many" and you do, then good for you. Have I wished I did it myself? Yes. Have I tried to remind callers to ask how many when I wanted to get to work? Absolutely. But if the system lapses, and you catch it, when the rest of us didn't, you did earn the ride. If you happen to be before me or after me in line, I don't bid you ill will. I am happy the line is moving. That is just my personal thought. This may be unique to RV, because in a previous line, they would have hung you out to dry, lol.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911

quote:

quote:

quote:
It's not an entitlement, but I don't appreciate the drivers that act like they didn't hear me when I ask, "Would you mind taking one more?" A simple, "No." would be fine. But to ignore someone that asked a legitimate question is just rude.

I will open with the, I am probably a bad driver, I gripe endlessly about cars that take 3 when not necessary, then I occassionally do it myself. But then I have also taken 4 in my little black truck when there were still hordes after hours.

That Said...I am with Oosik on this we drivers sometimes get a bit into the non-response mode when we DONT want a third - cause of junk in the back seat folks cant see, just tired and dont want more risk of chatty phone guy, or see a slug we dont want next - and more than occasionaly you get slugs arguing with you to take a third and its much easier to brush off the "Take a third?" demand by not responding, then starting the No, leading to pleading and debate option.

Just as not answering someone is rude, so is pleading, or arguing.

I have no problem being rude towards someone who's being belligerent towards me. However I was raised with manners and if someone asks me a simple question in a polite manner, I am obligated to answer.

Once they get combative about your declination to take a third, by all means ignore them, shoot them, run them over with your car, set them on fire, whatever...

We don't need any more rude people in this city.

Times to beat:
Our Mom Spot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 3:14pm
quote:

Pele, I agree that if someone asks a question, a response is appropriate. I only comment to note that if a driver says that they will not take a third passenger, it's not the time for the slug to start pointing out that there is room, that it would be an enormous convenience, etc. etc. Unless it was inclement weather, past slugging time or if it would leave a woman alone I do not pick up more than 2 slugs. It's unfair to the other drivers and I don't need any additional inconvenience or liability.

I agree!

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic