Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3rd Rider Rule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd Rider Rule
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 1:51pm
If YOU ask the driver if he/she can take one more (3rd) rider, is that ride yours or the next person standing in line?
I have to say it's yours and not the next person standing in line.
He didn't ask. You asked and earned it.
What's the OFFICIAL RULE, if there is one.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 1:58pm
If YOU are at the head of the line and if YOU ask, then the ride is yours. If YOU are second in line and YOU ask, then the person in front of you goes.

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 6:58am
From an historical perspective ... I started sluggin' in early 1986 and it's always been the first person in line who gets the additional seat regardless of whomever in line asks a driver to take one more slug than the required number. (I-95/I-395 was HOV-4 then, and later changed to HOV-03 in about 1991.)

Allowing the first person in line to take the 3rd slug seat is common courtesy and is exactly what we all learn in kindergarten - "Don't break in line."
[;)]
dwyorkster View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwyorkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 1:28pm
I agree...these replies correctly reflect the proper slug etiquette. The "asker" in this case still benefits...he/she just moved closer to the front of the line. I'm normally a rider but have always been amused by riders who behave as if the 3rd rider is an entitlement. On a rare occasion when I drove, I took a 3rd and all three riders asked for stops each just a block apart and requiring movement from left-side to right-side lanes. I had no problem complying, but couldn't help but wonder if this isn't why many drivers don't agree to a 3rd rider and how riders cannot see this and adjust their requests accordingly after they get into the car.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 6:29pm
Another reason for the first person in line guideline is that what if three people ask at the same time? Are you gonna "duke it out" to see who goes? First in line is just easier.

CJ
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 11:25pm
Although I agree with the concept that the first in line should get the ride, in reality, that never happens at Rolling Valley if the caller does not ask about the third. This may be because Rolling Valley serves so many destinations (Pentagon, Rosslyn, L'Enfant, 14th street, and 18th street) and the person asking about the third either does it with a hand signal to the driver who nods yes or truly does not know (or wait to find out) if those in line are going to the destination in which he or she has asked about the third. Of course, this could all be avoided if the caller politely asks the driver where to and how many instead of just where? Also, it would be helpful if the callers would announce loudly the destination. Lately we have had some whisperers where those in the back of the line have no clue where a car is going. Thanks.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 8:03am
quote:
Originally posted by dwyorkster

I agree...these replies correctly reflect the proper slug etiquette. The "asker" in this case still benefits...he/she just moved closer to the front of the line. I'm normally a rider but have always been amused by riders who behave as if the 3rd rider is an entitlement. On a rare occasion when I drove, I took a 3rd and all three riders asked for stops each just a block apart and requiring movement from left-side to right-side lanes. I had no problem complying, but couldn't help but wonder if this isn't why many drivers don't agree to a 3rd rider and how riders cannot see this and adjust their requests accordingly after they get into the car.

It's not an entitlement, but I don't appreciate the drivers that act like they didn't hear me when I ask, "Would you mind taking one more?"

A simple, "No." would be fine. But to ignore someone that asked a legitimate question is just rude.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Rickie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:27am
quote:
Originally posted by CallmeMrSlug

Although I agree with the concept that the first in line should get the ride, in reality, that never happens at Rolling Valley if the caller does not ask about the third. This may be because Rolling Valley serves so many destinations (Pentagon, Rosslyn, L'Enfant, 14th street, and 18th street) and the person asking about the third either does it with a hand signal to the driver who nods yes or truly does not know (or wait to find out) if those in line are going to the destination in which he or she has asked about the third. Of course, this could all be avoided if the caller politely asks the driver where to and how many instead of just where? Also, it would be helpful if the callers would announce loudly the destination. Lately we have had some whisperers where those in the back of the line have no clue where a car is going. Thanks.

This is why I asked the question. My slug line is for many many different places and if someone calls, for example, 14&I, and only two people start heading towards the car and I use a "one-more?" hand gesture to the driver and he agrees, then I think it's my entitlement. Am I wrong here? I mean, whoever the next person was COULD have asked but instead didn't bother to negotiate. But I negotiated and "earned" my ride. I guess it'd be different if the line went to only one location but I am talking about a line that goes to many different locations and I don't know where people standing infront of me are going.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 12:33pm
quote:
It's not an entitlement, but I don't appreciate the drivers that act like they didn't hear me when I ask, "Would you mind taking one more?"

A simple, "No." would be fine. But to ignore someone that asked a legitimate question is just rude.

Pele, I agree that if someone asks a question, a response is appropriate. I only comment to note that if a driver says that they will not take a third passenger, it's not the time for the slug to start pointing out that there is room, that it would be an enormous convenience, etc. etc. Unless it was inclement weather, past slugging time or if it would leave a woman alone I do not pick up more than 2 slugs. It's unfair to the other drivers and I don't need any additional inconvenience or liability. It doesn't matter if I have my subcompact or my minivan - I almost always take only two slugs. Unfortunately, I have had slugs argue with me and get indignant, esp when in my minivan, that I am denying them being the third passenger. Also, no slug should presume that a 3rd passenger is authorized without asking.

HOV is for High Occupancy Vehicles, not hybrid occupied vehicles.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rickie
This is why I asked the question. My slug line is for many many different places and if someone calls, for example, 14&I, and only two people start heading towards the car and I use a "one-more?" hand gesture to the driver and he agrees, then I think it's my entitlement. Am I wrong here? I mean, whoever the next person was COULD have asked but instead didn't bother to negotiate. But I negotiated and "earned" my ride. I guess it'd be different if the line went to only one location but I am talking about a line that goes to many different locations and I don't know where people standing infront of me are going.

I don't think there is any action that entitles one to jump ahead of others on a line, so I side with those who say the ride goes to the next person in line rather than the one who asked if the driver would take a third. Would you shout out your order for a couple of hotdogs and beers at the ballpark and then expect to jump in front of the others who were ahead of you on line? There's obviously a difference in the two situations but it is not much of a difference - the bottom line is jumping ahead of the line is bad etiquette.

Please understand that I don't think you are a rude person looking to jump ahead on line. I know you are not because you are asking an honest question about what people think is proper. [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic