Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Slug Line to Alexandria!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jroane2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 10:06am
quote:
Originally posted by kaydee444@yahoo.com

I vote for slugging to Eisenhower or King Street. Taking the HOV to Springfield, then getting on 495 to Eisenhower or King Street takes all of about 10 minutes once you get off HOV which is not much different than those that slug to DC and still have to go all through DC once they get downtown. (Point is, it doesn't take that long after getting off at Springfield to get to King Street especially if you take the Eisenhower Connector exit). So a vote for yes from me to start a line going to those locations. I agree that it doesn't have to start at a particular lot, it can be an option at all of the lots, 234, Horner, Potomac Mills, Old Hechinger, Tacketts, etc. I'm sure there's people at all of those locations that work in Alexandria.

I also vote for a Springfield slug line. For those who'd rather park at Springfield but don't want to sit in traffic to get there, it would be nice to pick up slugs to go there and just get off at Sprinfield and do the same coming back home in the evening. I know it's a pain trying to catch a bus from there to Horner/Potomac going South because they don't come frequently enough, so for those who need to go to Springfield, being able to slug there would be a plus that way also.

I agree in forming a slug to EITHER King st or Springfield Metro would anybody be interested in meeting tomorrow at Horner
Brian914 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 6:35pm
potomac mills/Horner road/Dale Blvd to Springfield Metro, or Eisenhower, both ways.
Paula View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 9:11am
My vote didn't win, so we won't be taking part in the Alexandria slugging... yet.

If a Stafford to Springfield line ever starts, we'll be at the head of the line.

Until then, best of luck to all the Woodbridge > King St. sluggers/drivers! I hope the line is a huge success!!
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 4:05pm
To All:
Thanks for postings and comments. I too hope this will be a success because this could open the doors to "slugging direct" to other locations in the future.

The start date for the slugging to start from Woodbridge VRE Pedestrian Overpass area is Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 between the hours of 6:45am - 8:30 am. The destination is Eisenhower Metro and King Street Metro.

For the return in the afternoon, the slug line is at the Alexandria VRE to Woodbridge VRE from 4:00 - 5:00 pm.

I would ask that everyone help spread the word and even send the flyers to those who work in the Alexandria area.

Here is the link to the flyer:

http://www.slug-lines.com/Downloads/Alexandria%20Slug%20Line%20Flyer%20v1.pdf

I will be sending out a Newsletter on October 2nd regarding the new line as well as other topics!!
williz51 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williz51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:21am

Doug W
I'm a little confused on the logistics of this new route to Alexandria. My wife and I live near the Tackets Mill commuter lot and pick up a slug almost evey day. We hop on the HOV and drop the slug off in Crystal City and back track to Alexandria near the KS metro where she works and I shoot up King Street where I work on the west side of I-395. My question is, the notice said if we pickup a slug at the Woodbridge VRE and take I-95/495 do we get on the HOV or not. If not, we're stuck in the I-95 traffic all the way to I-495. Please clarify this for me. Thanks [?]
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:16am
There are a couple of routes from Woodbridge into Alexandria to the drop-off points. For all of them, you want to use the Shirley Highway HOV facility and then take the exit just north of Newington (the flyover ramp on the right into the local lanes; it's the exit BEFORE the Franconia-Springfield Parkway exit).

Once you exit the HOV facility, get over to the left on I-95 so as to take the flyover ramp to the Beltway's Outer Loop towards Alexandria, the Wilson Bridge, and Baltimore.

You then have a choice of how to go:

(a) To the Eisenhower Avenue Metro, you can either take the Eisenhower Connector exit (Exit 174), go left at the bottom of the ramp, then go right at the next light. Or you can take the new flyover exit at Telegraph Road (Exit 176B), then stay to the right on the ramp for the new ramp to Eisenhower Avenue. It drops you right in front of the Holiday Inn; make a right and the Metro stop is right there.

(b) To the King Street Metro/Alexandria VRE, the best route is probably to take the new Telegraph ramp (Exit 176B), stay left on the ramp to get onto northbound Telegraph, then take the ramp on the right to eastbound 236 (Duke Street). The VRE is to the left at the second light; the Metro is to the left at the third light.

You can use the Eisenhower Connector to get to the King Street Metro, but it's a more convoluted route.

I live not far from that area and I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with both routes into the area (the Eisenhower Connector route and the Telegraph exit route) so that you're ready to bail out from the Beltway in case of traffic jams. Bear in mind that the Beltway is still heavily under construction from the Eisenhower Connector to Telegraph Road. I DO NOT recommend trying Van Dorn Street, or bailing off I-95 at the Franconia-Springfield Parkway exit and going east and then north on Van Dorn, because Van Dorn backs up horribly every morning and you'll never get anywhere.
williz51 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williz51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:47am
Thanks USA, sounds like alot of useful information. BTW, I know this is not the forum for Hybrid talk but I have to say we just bought a new hybrid and still pick up slugs. It's just the right thing to do.

Doug W
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 12:37pm
The two big things to remember are these:

(a) Leave the HOV at that flyover ramp just north of Newington (the Fairfax County Parkway interchange for the local lanes). If you stay in the HOV, you have to exit at the Franconia-Springfield Parkway, and that means getting stuck in a lot of traffic on the streets; if you miss that exit, you have to go to the Pentagon or Crystal City and backtrack.

(b) Remember that the Beltway construction will be ongoing for another two years and that traffic patterns can and will change frequently. The big thing for purposes of going to the VRE and Metro stops is to use Exit 176B to northbound Telegraph Road and to know how to use Exit 174 as an alternative.

(When the Beltway work is finished in a few years, the "Local/Thru" configuration on the Wilson Bridge will be extended to a point west of the Telegraph Road interchange. When that happens, you'll need to stay to the right to use the "Local" lanes. Otherwise, you'll wind up in Maryland. But that configuration won't be in place until either late 2011 or sometime in 2012. The latter is more likely.)
pro transit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pro transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 4:30pm
Will the pedestrian overpass at the Woodbridge VRE be open then? Right now the gate is still locked on the Route 1 side, so slugs would have to walk all the way around the station to get to the pick up area.

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

To All:
Thanks for postings and comments. I too hope this will be a success because this could open the doors to "slugging direct" to other locations in the future.

The start date for the slugging to start from Woodbridge VRE Pedestrian Overpass area is Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 between the hours of 6:45am - 8:30 am. The destination is Eisenhower Metro and King Street Metro.

For the return in the afternoon, the slug line is at the Alexandria VRE to Woodbridge VRE from 4:00 - 5:00 pm.

I would ask that everyone help spread the word and even send the flyers to those who work in the Alexandria area.

Here is the link to the flyer:

http://www.slug-lines.com/Downloads/Alexandria%20Slug%20Line%20Flyer%20v1.pdf

I will be sending out a Newsletter on October 2nd regarding the new line as well as other topics!!

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:51am
There is a slight change to the new Woodbridge VRE slug line. The pick-up will be immediately in front of the VRE station building were the current kiss-n-ride is located.

Although the pedestrian overpass is completed and open for use by VRE passengers, the kiss-n-ride area on route 1 is NOT open. So, the gates to the overpass are locked and cannot be used for the foreseeable future.

We are pushing forward with the October 19th, start date. The only change is that the slug-line will form in front of the actual VRE station. Actually, this is more convenient for VRE passengers. If the train is late, people can just walk from the platform to the front of the building!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic