Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Slug Line to Alexandria!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pro transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 1:27pm
That may be better for slugs, but it'll be a mess to have lots of extra cars interacting with the buses that use that area. (The current kiss-and-ride location is where the PRTC bus stop is, correct?)

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

There is a slight change to the new Woodbridge VRE slug line. The pick-up will be immediately in front of the VRE station building were the current kiss-n-ride is located.

Although the pedestrian overpass is completed and open for use by VRE passengers, the kiss-n-ride area on route 1 is NOT open. So, the gates to the overpass are locked and cannot be used for the foreseeable future.

We are pushing forward with the October 19th, start date. The only change is that the slug-line will form in front of the actual VRE station. Actually, this is more convenient for VRE passengers. If the train is late, people can just walk from the platform to the front of the building!

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 5:48am
Well, sort of. The Kiss-n-ride area is on the other side of the small median. In my opinion, there is plenty of room for buses and cars (given the very few buses that are there at any given time). The way I see it, this is easy compared to all the other congested areas where cars and buses "work together" without a problem.

Anyway, on the 19th we have invited somebody from the PRTC to observe and see if there are any problems. If so, we can move the line. The idea is to make commuting easier from all of us!
VREJimmy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VREJimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:29am
I slugged home from the Alexandria VRE station yesterday. Two very nice people picked me up and had a very pleasant conversation on the way to Woodbridge. I hope this new slug line works out.

A couple of issues:

(1) Where are the riders supposed to wait for the drivers at the Alexandria VRE station? It's very congested at the station and it was not clear where to stand while awaiting pick-up.

(2) There are two ways to get to Woodbridge. (a) go west on Duke Street to 395 and get on HOV at Edsall Rd. (b) Duke to Telegraph to 495 Inner Loop to 95S, get on HOV in the Mixing Bowl. We went with (b) and the traffic was really bad all the way until the HOV lanes. Thinking (a) is the better choice.
AdsProHokie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdsProHokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 12:44pm
I work 8:30-5 in Old Town and noticed the "best hours" were out of my range. I would love to pick up people and wonder if they changed the hours if more people would be available?
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 8:18am
I wanted to take a moment and let you know the outcome of our attempt to get slugging started at the Woodbridge and Alexandria VRE stations on the 19th. Unfortunately, it did not appear that we reached "critical mass" to achieve a sustainable slug line at at either location. As you probably know, for slugging to work effectively there has to be an adequate balance of both slugs and drivers. Everything has to come together for success and our first effort just didn't seem to have enough slugs/drivers.

The good news is that is does sound like some people did slug either to/from. It's up to the slugging community now to get this line to work.

However, we may try this again in the future. Maybe we can work together to introduce slugging to the new Kiss-n-Ride area on Route 1 when the parking area is completed.

I'll keep you posted.
jogurltheslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogurltheslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:40pm
Hi, I'm a new slugger, obviously. I would love to pick someone up in Woodbridge (Gordon Blvd or Tackett's Mill would be my preference, but I would be willing to pick someone up at the VRE) and drop off at Van Dorn Metro. I will be working from 8:30-5 and would be happy to provide transportation back. Is that a possibility at all? Is there another place that I should post this?
VREJimmy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VREJimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:28am
After a successful first day, I tried several times to get a ride back to Woodbridge at the Alexandria VRE, but no luck. I've been taking the VRE and have now purchased a monthly VRE ticket for November. So, I will be out of the slug market for at least a month. I hope this works out. I'm really bummed that this effort did not bear fruit; it's a great idea.
ptoemp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptoemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:27am
I'm also sorry to see that this attempt didn't take, and would like to see another try in the near future. Starting in January it seems all but certain that federal employees will have their transit subsidies cut by $110 per month. Perhaps this would be a good incentive for more of us to try slugging from the vre in order to save some money.
NovaLady22191 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovaLady22191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 3:38pm
I would really like to participate in a line from Woodbridge VRE to Alexandria. I just got a new job near the King Street Metro. Any suggestions would be great.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:45am
We may try starting to start this slug line again in the future. But, that may not be for many months. Waiting on the Kiss and Ride parking area to be completed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic